System Interference with EVNEW

no static, it just skips

So I am trying to put static in one of my systems. I am using values from 10 to 50 (or even 99 as an experiment). The radar screen skips occasionally, but it doesn't show static like I'm used to when I play EVN. Is this an inherent disability of EVNEW? I am working on a fairly comprehensive TC/plug-in. Is it possible that there is a graphic image of static somewhere that I deleted? Does anyone know how this works?

Yes, there is a static image graphic (4 if i remember correctly). I cant tell you where they are other than to open up all of the default files and find it, it wont be mixed in with anything else, and i have a faint feeling its actually a cicn.

Make sure you don't have any interference-reducing outfits either.

Okay, I can't find this static image anywhere. Does anyone have any idea where it is?

Okay they're actually ppats, found in Nova Graphics 1. I'm not sure EVNEW can display ppats though.

Thanks Guy!

What's a ppat???

A ppat is a pattern. Er, I'm not sure what the second p is for.

Well, okay... so what's the best way of keeping the static image in my windows incarnation of the game? Do you know which EVN file it is originally part of?

Nova Graphics 1, like I said. The best way of keeping it is to not edit the data files.
Have you seen static working in other systems before? What do you mean when you say the radar screen 'skips' occasionally?

I tried putting a completley unaltered Nova Graphics 1 into my Nova Folder along with my modified files but I still didn't get the image of static.

When I say the image "skips" I mean that, instead of displaying static, it just shows what the radar screen looked like immediately before the static should appear.

Let me try to illustrate with text....

0 = planet

= ship flying from left to right
X = lots of static

this is what should I should see

frame 1: > 0
frame 2: X
frame 3: 0 >

this is what I see

frame 1: > 0
frame 2: > 0
frame 3: 0 >

Does that make any sense?

Anyway, any other suggestion on how I can get the static image to work?

So it's like the radar freezes for a moment. Odd.
Have you ever seen it working properly in the default scenario?

I think it just fails to update the radar, and then paints the ppat on top. If there isnt a ppat, it would just use it unupdated.

The only editor ive seen capable of adding ppats is resedit, but im not too good with it at all.

The static works perfectly in the unaltered version. I just cant figure out how to make it work with modified files. But you're understanding the problem perfectly so far! Are you 100% sure its in Nova Graphics 1?

Yep. If you open it up in res edit you can see them. Ppats 128 through 137 are all the interferences.

Here, try throwing this plug-in in.

Grr!! DropStuff 9 won't macbinary!!! Have to dig up 8.0.2.

That worked perfectly Guy, thank you so much!

Hmm, so maybe the ppats are stored somewhere else in PC Nova.

I doubt it, theres just no pc editor to my knowledge that actually opens ppats, they just ignore them on opening and discard them when you save.