Just out of curiosity(sp?)

Are there any dev tools that you guys would like to see?
Besides the one that Lindley posted .

You spelled it right.

And I'd like to see a NovaTools that works on OS X. Oh wait, that's why I'm going to (attempt to) make one...

A plug-in search utility. Like the old Plug Checker for EV/O. The ability to run a search for every reference of a particular resource or bit is extremely useful.

The plug-in search engine has existed for ages in the depths of the signature that is mine. Thanks to Evula for setting it up, I think.

Phyvo, on Feb 21 2005, 04:27 PM, said:

The plug-in search engine has existed for ages in the depths of the signature that is mine. Thanks to Evula for setting it up, I think.
View Post

That's not the kind of search Guy was talking about. He's thinking of a way to check what resources are used inside one same plug.

orcaloverbri9, on Feb 21 2005, 12:43 AM, said:

You spelled it right.

And I'd like to see a NovaTools that works on OS X. Oh wait, that's why I'm going to (attempt to) make one...
View Post

It's called "ResEdit running in Classic".

I would like to see a tool that has all these features plus a few more THAT RUNS ON WINDOWS!

I'd like to see a tool that generates random uninhabited systems based on a bounding box rectangle for an area in space, a system/uninhabited spob naming scheme and certain images for uninhabited spobs. (and density of planets)

I'll suggest that to the guy making iNova

general11, on Feb 21 2005, 08:34 PM, said:

I would like to see a tool that has all these features plus a few more THAT RUNS ON WINDOWS!
View Post

EVNEW plx?

general11, on Feb 21 2005, 03:34 PM, said:

View Post

If windows ever earns the respect needed for such a tool, it will get one.

Agent_Vast, on Feb 21 2005, 05:14 PM, said:

<snip>
I'll suggest that to the guy making iNova
View Post

That's why I started this topic if you know what I mean 😉 .

Fnoigy, on Feb 21 2005, 03:19 PM, said:

It's called "ResEdit running in Classic".

...which is exactly why I want one. ResEdit is unstable even in 9, least of all X running Classic.

If you want a really simple fix go to w00tWare and get duped. Then compare two copies of your plug-in for a complete resource listing. Unfortunately your idea would require actual knowledge of things like programming. And that is far beyond my current knowledge. I admit it, I am not a 1337 h4x0r. ph34r my ignorance.

orcaloverbri9, on Feb 23 2005, 10:31 PM, said:

...which is exactly why I want one. ResEdit is unstable even in 9, least of all X running Classic.
View Post

Really? I've found few problems with ResEdit, though maybe it's just that I don't care due to a nervous twitch of hitting apple-s every few seconds.

They all sound like good ideas, too bad you won't know if i use them or not or if i have already used them ;). Thanks for all the possible ideas though

To all developers,
If you want to try out iNova PM me abut it and I shall tell you what to do. Also we need mostly jaguar users but we're accepting panther users as well. Sorry to all PC people but you can not apply. You also have to tell me what OS X you are running.
Scarab

This post has been edited by Scarab : 24 February 2005 - 05:23 PM

Agent_Vast, on Feb 21 2005, 10:14 PM, said:

I'd like to see a tool that generates random uninhabited systems based on a bounding box rectangle for an area in space, a system/uninhabited spob naming scheme and certain images for uninhabited spobs. (and density of planets)

This is what I would like to see as well. This would be an excellent tool.

A good algorithm for randomly connecting the systems together would be nice too. Ideally, there would be several algorithms for the different classes of hyperspace connections (such as "lanes" like in Federation space, "nearby" like in Polaris space, or "crazy scramble" like in Auroran space). On second thought, this would require way too much math skill and is probably not worth it.

I am also confined to a PC, so any kind of graphical interface for designing systems seems like heaven to me.

It would be complicated, but worth it. The ability to generate a large number of random systems, possibly containing random planets, would be extremely useful in some cases.

If no one else is interested, I could take a stab at an algorithm to do it, in C pseudo-code. If I figured out something reasonable, I could send it to the iNova team.

It would reall just be a matter of generating a random graph.....using certain constraints regarding edges.

This post has been edited by Lindley : 03 March 2005 - 09:40 PM

I'm part of the iNova team (just look at sig), I'll ask Tom waht he thinks about it.

This post has been edited by Scarab : 03 March 2005 - 10:02 PM

On my college course we have to do things about developing complex algorithms. We don't do anything like that, but i could try and see if i could do that for my project. Of course it would take a while, but yea, the results would be by far worth it.

I was pretty sure pipeline (or was it TomWoozle?) had the algorithms all worked out for Systematic, which would have done exactly this. I recalled in the past that he had offered to give them to anyone that had wanted to take a shot at it, but it is quite a bit of work.

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure it was TomWoozle.

~ SP