Keeping ships at bay

Not quite, remember, an MDC weapon still basically annihilates SDC armor. Additionally, 1000 SDC is equal to 1 MDC, if I recall correctly, meaning that eventually an SDC weapon can take out MDC armor... it's just highly unlikely.

What about just giving the ship a speed of 1, acceleration of 1 or 0, and maneuverability of 0? That way the ship would hyper in. Never being able to reverse and slow to land, it would slowly drift across the system until it reached the other end at which point it would hyper out.
Giving it a high mass would also make it spend more time in system due to the higher jumping distance. But that would only work if mass affect hyperspace distance, I'm not sure.

If the ship only appears in certain systems give the stellars a gun with as high a speed as possible, no damage, but a high impact. That would at least keep your ship from getting too close. A beam weapon with a perfect fade value would keep your ship at just the right distance, though it would be in orbit (that could be useful). The only problem I see is with balancing the fade of the beam and with having a high enough impact to affect your apparently massive ship.

This post has been edited by Klepsacovic : 12 February 2005 - 09:34 PM

spobs cant have beams, but that can be worked around.

The biproduct is that the spobs also cant have another weapon then.

SpacePirate, on Feb 12 2005, 04:16 PM, said:

Not quite, remember, an MDC weapon still basically annihilates SDC armor. Additionally, 1000 SDC is equal to 1 MDC, if I recall correctly, meaning that eventually an SDC weapon can take out MDC armor... it's just highly unlikely.
View Post

1 mdc damage could destroy an object with greater than 100 SDC- mdc was above the sdc scale and it did not matter how much sdc you had. Plus, an attack doing in excess of 100 sdc still could not affect a MDC structure- at least in Rifts, Robotech, etc.

Anyway, I've decided that these ships are too large to be realistic and are going to be re-modified.

The firing could instead be an invisible gun with a high rate of fire and a decay which would cause it to impact to keep a ship at a certain distance. Closer range fire would push more, longer range would push less. The shooting could be carried out by a small stellar under the normal one and which would not be selectable through number keys. To ensure that other ships are not affected use a homing weapon.
The only problem I see is that such a high rate of fire combined with what seems to be a long distance could start to affect the max shots on screen.