Better Weapons Dësc Files

Good idea I don't have time to make

Way back in my tinkering days I made a small plug for EV:O that I never released - it basically added weapons shield/armor damage information to the description of the weapon.

After having numerous conversations about which weapon is more powerful, fires further, gives a good damage/weight ratio I've been thinking that a similar plug for EV:N would be quite nice.

I'm working about 30 hours a week right now, taking 15 credits in school and trying to maintain a semblence of a workout routine/social life . I don't have much time to sit back down with NovaTools and figure out what I'm doing; it's been about 2 years since I've done much with that program. I'm hoping that I could tempt some other eager developer to do all the hard work for me and release this plug that would definitely benefit us all.

In any case, it's an idea and I'd love it if someone would run with it!

Ask, and ye shall receive.

I've created dëscs that are more descriptive as you suggest, not only for weapons but for all outfits that have any kind of a quantitative parameter. I chose to put weapon's specifications into physics terminology such as joules, ergs, dynes, electron-volts, etc. I've also included rates of fire (ROF), degrees of accuracy, range (in kilometers), and velocities for the weapons.

Unfortunately the specifications in my dëscs are based on modifications that I've made to some of the weapons, so I'll have to go through them all and revert them to default Nova scenario parameters. That may take about a week or so to do, but I'll post a complete package of outfit specification dëscs to the addons page when I'm done.

(off-topic)
The "Add Reply" button at the top of the topic page is non-functional. Is that just me, or does anybody know if there is some general problem?
(edit) Hrm... the "Add Reply" button is now working, so never mind. I guess someone was twiddling with the IPB control paramters.(/edit)
(/off-topic)

This post has been edited by Arturo : 03 February 2005 - 03:43 PM

I had a problem with the add reply button too.. I had to log back in. The pin-striped background now sems to be missing...

Anyway, Awesome! You say when and where and I shall be the first individual to download it.

😄

Update:

OK, I've reverted all of my outfit dësc specifications to the default scenario. However, I realized that there are differences between EV:N v1.0.8 and v1.0.6 in the weapons specifications. So I have to create two versions of this plug. One plug for MacNova people running v1.0.8 and a second plug for WinNova people running v1.0.6. WinNova folks will still have to convert to the .rez format after downloading, but that shouldn't be a big problem. Anyway, give me another few days to find my v1.0.6 update archive files and then incorporate that older data into the second OutfitSpecs plug. It'll happen, it's just taking longer than I originally estimated. Also I'm including weapon loadout info for all fighter-bay fighters in the process. I hope there's more than one person who wants this because it's turned out to be more work than I suspected.