Recent RLE Revelations

Say THAT three times fast.

Somewhat recently, SpacePirate and I were talking over AIM about RLEs, and somehow the topic got to be the 8-bit pallette. To test, we both attempted to make a 16x16 RLE sprite by hand that used all the colors from 00 to FF. Mine crashed ResEdit big time, and his worked perfectly. THAT ASIDE...

I wrote a quick program to generate a long bunch of text that contained the rle8 pallette data. It's attached.

Now, who is this useful to? Well, mainly DA and Aprosenf at the moment, since they have rleD support but not rle8 support, simply because they don't have any palette information. Well, they do now, so they don't have an excuse anymore. 😉

I can think of a simple way for DA to implement this. Simply store them in a 256-element array of colors, than access the corresponding element. Aprosenf...he's on his own. I know very little about C++.

This is also useful to anyone who wants to create an editor and/not will (such as me) - they won't have to worry about rle8 support.

Attached File rle8pallette.txt (8.86K)
Number of downloads: 28
EDIT: Now I'm attaching some quick instructions on how you might implement my idea for MC (or any other editor in RB):

Attached File rbinstructions.txt (8.37K)
Number of downloads: 24
As an alternative, if you have RB5, you could use &c and the hex code instead of rgb() with the RGB code. However, I wanted it to work with at the very least both 4 and 5.

This post has been edited by orcaloverbri9 : 18 January 2005 - 11:53 PM

I'll take a look at this - maybe I'll be able to get it into the long-delayed MissionComputer 3.1 update. 🙂

Interesting. Notice how it makes heavy use of 17 (which makes 0x11, whose multiples are easy to read in hex) multiples, since 255=15*17. I think the Mac 256 colors palette is relatively similar, last time I checked (long ago).

Zacha Pedro, on Jan 19 2005, 08:22 AM, said:

Interesting. Notice how it makes heavy use of 17 (which makes 0x11, whose multiples are easy to read in hex) multiples, since 255=15*17. I think the Mac 256 colors palette is relatively similar, last time I checked (long ago).
View Post

Well, web developers like to do this in HTML hex color values...