A problem

I'm tring to make an outfit that can ditroy a planet. What do I have to do to be able to do that. And will it actually destroy planets, and assuming it works, won't the planet regenerate.

What do you want it to do? Destroy the planet once you buy the outfit? If so, you can change the spöb resource of the planet to make sure it doesn't regenerate. Just put in the "OnPurchase" field the following, "xxx" being the ID number of the planet you want destroyed: "Yxxx".
There are other options if you want other, more complex ones, which can have other effects you might find more suitable to what you want. If you find this info/first option to be insufficient, do say so.

It sounds like you want to make a weapon that blows up planets. To do this, just set the corresponding weapon to be a planet-type weapon. Then, when you fire it at a planet, the planet will go boom. Regeneration depends on the spob resource of the planet - if you want it to regenerate, it will; otherwise, it won't.

orcaloverbri9, on Jan 3 2005, 02:37 PM, said:

It sounds like you want to make a weapon that blows up planets. To do this, just set the corresponding weapon to be a planet-type weapon. Then, when you fire it at a planet, the planet will go boom. Regeneration depends on the spob resource of the planet - if you want it to regenerate, it will; otherwise, it won't.
View Post

First of all I need it to be given for free like in the Gli-Tech missions. And it has to be like a blaster that you can aim it at a planet and it will distroy but I need it to make an explosion. and for the planet to regenerate like in a month or so. I'm going to use some of what orca's siad to implement this idea tp see if it works.

Scarab, on Jan 3 2005, 02:46 PM, said:

First of all I need it to be given for free like in the Gli-Tech missions. And it has to be like a blaster that you can aim it at a planet and it will distroy but I need it to make an explosion. and for the planet to regenerate like in a month or so. I'm going to use some of what orca's siad to implement this idea tp see if it works.
View Post

Planet regeneration will involve actually modifying each and every spöb that is supposed to regenerate, I think. There aren't any anti-planet weapons in the Nova scenario, but (I think) the spöbs all have strength set and regeneration unset.

I'm working on this with him. Changing the planet regeneration won't be a problem, we're only planning to blow up one planet, and depending on what the rest of the team thinks, it may not need to regenerate at all.

There are planet destroying weapons within the data files, but they are unused. I could be wrong, it may just be outfit pictures.

Yeah...what I told you is exactly how you would make a blaster that you can aim at a planet and destroy it. The big explosion can be the explosion field of the weap or spob resource (either works), but Nova doesn't have any stock massive (read: planet-scale) explosions. Also, if you want the planet to have a graphic for when it's destroyed, you need to set it in the spob resource. Nova does have strengths set for the planets, and I think it has regeneration times set - but it probably doesn't matter since you'll likely be modifying the spob resource(s) anyways. If you want the player to destroy a specific planet and then continue on with more missions, you can set a bit in the OnDestroy field of the spob resource that you can test for in the Availability field of a mission...or outfit...or ship...etc. Oh, and in case you didn't know, you give it to them by putting "Gxxx" in the OnComplete field of a mission or whatever, where xxx = the ID number of the weapon's corresponding outf resource.

I can make a destroyed spöb PICT quite easily. As for the explosion, one of our members had the idea of using an explosion from a Leviathan, is that possible?

Otherwise, we're stuck for explosions.

Doesn't the Leviathan use the standard "Ship Dies" explosion, with sparks?

If you're looking to repeat the damage caused by its death explosion, or it's large blast radius, you're out of luck; it is a factor of the ship's mass and death delay, so you can't repeat this with a spöb.

Well, you could always use Snapz Pro to take a movie of the explosion...but that's more more work than it's worth in my opinion.

orcaloverbri9, on Jan 4 2005, 07:45 PM, said:

Well, you could always use Snapz Pro to take a movie of the explosion...but that's more more work than it's worth in my opinion.
View Post

**I think any decent 3d program could be used to make a little shockwave type explosion with some random debris exploding outwards. Bryce would probably do the trick, with a little bit of know-how.

_bomb