Weap problems with NovaTools

long and confusing story

Does anyone know what's going on here?

Ever since I first used NovaTools, I have noticed the lack of a graphical weap interface. I assumed that it had just not been included, since it is not listed in the file description (or it is and I'm blind).

However, today I opened a weap resource and it tried to load a NovaTools window. :blink: It brought up a few checkboxes and a pulldown menu, and then hung. I restarted and tried to open my plug only to find that the file had been damaged. I managed to recover everything except 3 descs. I next opened up ResEdit Preferences to try and find the problem. I found the RSSC resource for the weap was missing. Doesn't that mean the weap interface shouldn't load at all? :blink: Unfortunately, I had deleted my other copy of NovaTools.

I trashed the Prefs file, then opened ResEdit and tried to look at the new one it had just created. ResEdit had damaged its own Prefs file. It seemed to be working, but I couldn't open it. :blink: I trashed it, then downloaded and reinstalled both ResEdit and NovaTools. I tried to open my plug, but got an error when loading the Prefs, and it switched to the defaults. I used Verify and repaired the file. Supposedly, nothing was lost, but I looks at the Prefs file again, and the name of RSSC resource 2718 had been changed to some meaningless gibberish, and I got the same freezing problem as before.

Two different copies of NovaTools, two different copies of ResEdit, same problem. Could this be a bug? What should I do?

- PBoat

Well the weap editor works for me. Try putting the NovaTools file straight into the preferences folder and call it "ResEdit Preferences" or whatever it's called. I haven't tried doing it myself but with any luck ResEdit will load that file and write its other preferences into it. Copying large amounts of resources between files can sometimes be dodgy so this way will avoid that, if it works.

I just tried that, and it still freezes. When I restarted and tried to open ResEdit again, I found that the Prefs file was damaged beyond repair. That does not happen when it loads the standard Prefs file. This is looking more and more like a problem with NovaTools.

Thanks for your help, though.

Are you using a real Mac or an emulator like Basilisk II?
The wëap resource editor WILL crash on a Basilisk II emulator. Something to do with the processor emulation being imperfect.

And of course, crashes can lead to corruption...

I'm using a real Mac, but that does bring up another possiblity. It may be my operating system, since I'm using an old OS, 8.1, though that still doesn't explain why this just started yesterday.