m2s Sprite Layout Problems

I'm trying to use w00tware's m2s program to make my movie into a pict sprite. It's an absolutely HUGE file... 144 frames, 800 pixels a frame... the size will be reduced before its put into the game, but apparently m2s can't handle it. In the m2s window, it shows it laying out the tiles just fine, but when i open the resulting file in photoshop it's nothing but huge streaks of color. The accompanying mask file comes out fine, so it must be something with the 16 bit color itself and not just the massive size.

What should I do? Are there any other programs to use besides m2s that can handle movies? It was a 15 hour render to get that movie, and I don't really want to wait another 15 for a different format if I don't have to.

Actually, I wrote a program to do exactly this. It will handle PICTs eventually, but not at the moment. You're going to have to wait till at least tomorrow though (Christmas) so I can get a REALbasic license. Unless some kind person with RB5 would compile it for me?

I don't need it to export to PICT, necessarily. All I need it to do is take a .mov and turn it into a tiled image without messing it all up.

orcaloverbri9, on Dec 24 2004, 03:30 PM, said:

Actually, I wrote a program to do exactly this. It will handle PICTs eventually, but not at the moment. You're going to have to wait till at least tomorrow though (Christmas) so I can get a REALbasic license. Unless some kind person with RB5 would compile it for me?
View Post

Ack! Does it output files in full 24-bit color, not reduced to 16-bit? If so, I want! 🙂

Neon Soldier, on Dec 25 2004, 12:52 PM, said:

I don't need it to export to PICT, necessarily. All I need it to do is take a .mov and turn it into a tiled image without messing it all up.
View Post

I don't know if this would make a difference, but I think PICT files have a maximum width, and I think it's around 4000 pixels. Try making your base set only 5 tiles wide, and really tall, and see if it's still corrupting. Dunno if that would fix it, but it's worth a shot.

I don't mean that it will export as PICT eventually (you can export in a number of formats via RB's built-in function), I mean that it will work in the same way as p2s and make an image from a bunch of picture files. Anyways, I'll upload it, but be forewarned it has not been tested very thoroughly (it crashes on my confuser, which may or may not be universal).

Weepul: What would the purpose of exporting to 24-bit be? Nova can only handle up to 16 bit anyways. And I don't think it'll like 24-bit movies, but RB might reduce them. Dunno. I can make it do 24-bit movies if you want, though.

It's called My Application because I didn't rename it.

Linkage

This post has been edited by orcaloverbri9 : 26 December 2004 - 04:33 PM

orcaloverbri9, on Dec 26 2004, 02:19 PM, said:

Weepul: What would the purpose of exporting to 24-bit be? Nova can only handle up to 16 bit anyways. And I don't think it'll like 24-bit movies, but RB might reduce them. Dunno. I can make it do 24-bit movies if you want, though.Linkage
View Post

For the times that I want to be anal about it, better quality results from keeping the bits up until right before conversion to Nova (BlitZen to 16-bit right before EnRLE-ing). In particular, when LASIK-ing, it's better to sharpen on the full color image than one that's been dithered to 16-bit, since then you're sharpening the dithering as well, not just the real detail.

It's a very minor difference in the end, and pipeline may jump right in here and say, "It makes so little difference it isn't worth the extra work" - currently I assemble sprites in Photoshop using snap to grid since m2s outputs to 16-bit - but it's only extra work because I don't yet have an app that does it automatically in 24-bit. 😉

So yes, if you can have it do full color (24-bit), I'd be quite appreciative. 🙂

Okay, I'll do that. It won't be hard - I just have to add another menu option. Okay, updated. Has a couple of other random enhancements included too. Most of all, though, it should now support making 24-bit images.

have you been able to test it and verify that it works?

Um, updated where? The one I could find in your webspace (same name as the old one) doesn't do 24-bit.

?

I updated it with the same name. Odd. I'll try that again. OH! Whoops. Updated copy didn't have the same name as the old one on my HD. Okay, should be fixed now.

In any case, does it work?

This post has been edited by orcaloverbri9 : 26 December 2004 - 10:19 PM

Nope...it unexpectedly quits upon trying to process. Changing options doesn't affect it, and it does so with two different sprite movies (one 56 frames, 512x512, and one 36 frames, rather small).

Running OS X 10.2.8, 1.5 GB RAM, dual 1.25 G4.

Looks good other than that one little flaw... 😮 😉

Meh, yeah, that happens to me too. I don't know what the problem is. I'll throw some alerts in to see how far it gets without dying. It worked perfectly when compiled with RB5, but since downgrading to RB4, it doesn't work. Meh.

Hmm...so it's dying when I create the internal image. Bleh. Where's SP when you need him?

Well, why don't you compile it with RB5 then? 😉

I wish I could help but I'm not a programmer. Let me know if and when you get it working, please - I want this app. 🙂

Because I don't have RB5.

Okay, I've traced it down to the width and height parameters of the movie. If I have you specify the width and height, it might work. I'll give it a shot.

EDIT: Okay, this is really pissing me off. Does anyone out there have RB5 that would be willing to compile this thing for me?

This post has been edited by orcaloverbri9 : 29 December 2004 - 08:49 AM