Flak Launcher

any ideas

Hi folks,
I'm trying to make a flak launcher as a point defense. It's a point defense turret, high speed short lifetime, with an awful lot of submunitions with similar lifetimes. Each is low damage (1 mass, no shield), but there're 40 of them. The problem is this, they utterly wreck fighters once their shields are gone, but are all but useless against missiles. I can't figure out why. Anyone got any ideas?

I'd guess missile strength is counted in terms of shields. Try giving your weapon shield damage, and then trying the results again.

From the Holy Book said:

Durability
For guided weapons, this is how many point defense hits a shot from this weapon can take before it is destroyed. Set to 0 for weapons that are immediately destroyed by any PD hits. Ignored for non-guided projectile weapons or beams. (PD damage to guided weapons is calculated as 100% of mass damage plus 50% of energy damage)

Theoretically, the flak turret you're describing should destroy missiles... Add some energy damage, or put 2 mass damage (there might be a rounding problem), try to investigate.

Zacha Pedro, on Nov 4 2004, 12:41 PM, said:

From the Holy Book said:

Durability
For guided weapons, this is how many point defense hits a shot from this weapon can take before it is destroyed. Set to 0 for weapons that are immediately destroyed by any PD hits. Ignored for non-guided projectile weapons or beams. (PD damage to guided weapons is calculated as 100% of mass damage plus 50% of energy damage)

Theoretically, the flak turret you're describing should destroy missiles... Add some energy damage, or put 2 mass damage (there might be a rounding problem), try to investigate.
View Post

Tried 2 mass dmg, tried 2 energy dmg, tried changing prox radius, tried eliminating it, lots of things. Can't figure it out. I always try everything I can think of before asking; I'd rather do it all myself if possible.

are you sure the flak submunitions are point defence blasts? Because you can't shoot down a missile with a weapon without the point defence guidance.

That's probably it. The fighters are hurt because they are hurt by all weapons, but the missiles are damaged only by specifically point-defense weapons, but the submunitions aren't point-defense and thus don't damage the msissiles.

orcaloverbri9, on Nov 5 2004, 04:04 AM, said:

That's probably it. The fighters are hurt because they are hurt by all weapons, but the missiles are damaged only by specifically point-defense weapons, but the submunitions aren't point-defense and thus don't damage the msissiles.
View Post

That's it. Thanks guys, you rock.

So what happens if you make the sub-weapon a point defence turret?

Guy, on Nov 6 2004, 04:08 AM, said:

So what happens if you make the sub-weapon a point defence turret?
View Post

It works exactly as I wanted it to: utterly wrecks missiles as long as they're in range of the submunitions.

Such a simple feild, yet so important....