wëap resource: speed of weapon

Is it just some weird thing I encounter?

Today while alpha-testing the Public Figure storyline of Arpia 2, I encountered a problem I had discovered when I was working on Arpia 1, and I checked in the Nova Bible, searched, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

It concerns the 400mm turreted railgun. When I use a slow or normal ship and fire the weapon, the shot is perfectly normal and works as expected (meaning the pellet shoots where I want it to go).
But then suddenly I get myself a ship with a total speed of about 700 (with upgrades), and suddenly then shot behaves completely differently:
- if fired when I'm stopped and turning, the shot stays beneath my ship and sometimes slowly turns towards the target ship, but still stays there
- if fired when I'm flying around, it shoots straight ahead but with a crappy speed (a quarter of my speed), so neither speed nor turreting work

Anyone know the fix?
(I'm sure I managed somehow, but I really can't remember and think it could be good for me to have the solution noted down somewhere, and it can always help others)

If you want any other info, do ask.

Not knowing much about how this works, my first thought would be that the weapon speed is less than the ship speed. If the engine has not been designed to handle this, it could produce such odd effects.

Or another possibility: it sounds like the turret is behaving almost like an unguided bomb. Perhaps this is another one of those "undocumented features" that pop up once in a while.

PBoat

Any other ideas on the subject?

how about give us a plugin to work with (with just the one weap and maybe an outf to get a ship to the speeds you need to reproduce it)?

400mmrailgun.zip.
I put inside the outf resource and weap resource, plus speed and acceleration boosters.
No pictures included 😉

You have the weapon guidance as a freefall bomb. I think that's what the Nova scenario uses for the planet weapons of this type, but for a ship you would need to change this to get the desired behavior.

Oh darn. Must have changed it without noticing at all. And because I didn't think I'd changed it a bit, I didn't even consider that field

Thanks for taking a look, and sorry for wasting your time
(at least, I now know how a freefall bomb works even though I never had any intention of trying it out )

In Nova, this weapon is naturally a freefall bomb. You didn't change anything.

Yes, but originally I already used a 400mm railgun in Arpia 1, and it worked there, so either I just took the Nova one or I changed the Arpia one
Anyway, case solved.