ppat resource in EVO

RID #128

If you open up the game itself in ResEdit, it will have a ppat resource, the very first one labelled 128 has what looks like a starfield. In my quest to make modifications to a starfield when I fly around in my ship, I wanted it to be different. At first I thought that this was the only resource responsible for it, but it turns out that after rummaging through other of the Override files that I discovered that the Stars sprites (pic resource 700, 701, and sprite sprite 700) are responsible for the effects.

For a test, I modified those sprites and removed the altered ppat #128, and it turns out that the effect I wanted was still intact. So now my question is: WTF does ppat #128 really do anyways? I mean, is it just a junk resource? I know that pic RID 5500 has nothing to do with the starfield, it only affects the background of spobs when you hail it.

I can't check the resources myself at the moment, but is it possible you're looking at one of the patterns for sensor static on the radar display?

I don't think so, the sensor statics are totally different, and I think it starts at 130. I know because I customized my own static for EVOSI

Colour it bright red and see if you notice it anywhere. 😄

Actually, I did colored it bright red