*Sigh* Another TC bites the dust...

Time is money, time is something I don't have anymore, neither is money. My TC infinity is taking up too much of my time, and sadly its about time I let it go. I had been working on it since EVN came out, seems so long ago now... I wish I could continue working on it, but other, more important things are in the way.

I'm posting this so that if there is the remote chance that anyone else wants to take up the project they can.

_“In his infancy, mankind looked upwards to the heavens. In his heart he longed to reach out and touch that vast blanket of stars. Today, that dream is fulfilled, and its better then ever before. Together, lets go higher.”
-First interstellar crew upon landing on Centauri Beta

For ages, we gazed in wonder at the night sky, longing to reach out and touch the stars. However, until the 23rd century, this was an impossibility. No means of interstellar travel was fast enough, not with anything that moved slower then the universe absolute: the speed of Light. As humanity entered the early 23nd century, it was clear that something had to be done, as over 37 billion people struggled over the limited resources on Earth. Political tensions between countries and factions was higher then it had ever been before.

It became the goal of the century; to attain faster-then-light travel. All the brilliant scientists pooled their collective heads together in an effort to find a way. All to no avail. Yet, just after everyone else had given up on any possible hope of FTL movement, a small team of scientists discovered that Tachyonic superlight travel was indeed a reality. Finally, the vast distance between stars could be traveled in a matter of days, instead of years. Over the course of 4 decades, colonies had spread outwards, and the arms of exploration probed into the galaxy. Planets were found, and a small few were terraformed to make them like Earth.

As mankind moved deeper into the stars, the social structure on Earth collapsed. A global depression, and finally the war that ignited old hatreds that had remained silent for centuries. As World War 3 raged across the surface of Earth, the extra-solar colonies severed their contact with Earth with the fears that the conflict would spread outwards, and come to the colonies. As Earth was transformed into a charred nuclear wasteland, the colonies in space silently died of starvation. Humanity neared the brink of total destruction. Most who survived this second “Dark Ages” emerged to find their entire worlds, lifestyles and families destroyed.

In the shadows and ashes of the Third World War, a new, unified Earth government emerged. The “Earth Republic”.. Recovering Tachyonic drives, the people of Earth moved to recontact and reestablish control over the remaining colonies. Two of the colonies refused the the new Earth Government, those based in the systems of Lirann and Ellian. The Earth Republic respected their status, and for a time, peace prevailed. However, 6 years later, a trading dispute between the Ellian Confederacy and the Earth Republic erupted into war. The Jal’ian House protested the Earth Republics actions against the Ellian Confederacy, and was soundly subdued by a Earth Republic invasion. After a long brutal interstellar war, the Ellian Confederacy had crushed the Earth Republic. Then the Ellians stopped, and surrendered control of all but their own home systems, leaving Earth untouched and unclaimed. The Earth Republic would rise again.

After the war, the scattered colonies north of Ellian space reverted into another dark age. Feudal warlords and myriads of small factions dueled over the control of valuable resources and populations in the sector. As war continued to rage across the northern sectors, the Ellian confederacy stepped in. A shot, violent struggle between the devised warlords and the Ellians ensued. The warlords fell before the Ellians, because of their failure to unite. Then along came Muhad Poson, who united the warlords. In a few days, Poson had singlehandedly created the Alliance. United, the warlords drove back the Ellians. Thus it remains to this day, devided, yet united, in this strange paradox that is our time.

This is the past, the future is what you are here to decide..._

------------------
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein

Cool! But I'll leave that job to the really experienced plugmakers.
Sad you won't be able to finish it. The scenario looks really good, and the set up is pretty realistic. I just have two comments: WWIII only? Come on, it's the 23rd century I'd have expected a few wars beforehand. Big-time peace (I mean, between two big wars or battles) has never lasted more than one century

Political tensions between countries and factions was higher then it had ever been before.

Correct it: Political tensions between countries and factions were higher than (they) had ever been before.

Edit: there are other spelling mistakes, but I guess someone taking on the plug could revise that. No offense meant Skyfox.

------------------
Pace
(haldora)
-- Cartman: I hate hippies! I mean, the way they always talk about "protectin' the earth" and then drive around in cars that get poor gas mileage and wear those stupid bracelets - I hate 'em! I wanna kick 'em in the nuts!

(This message has been edited by Pace (haldora) (edited 07-27-2004).)

Originally posted by Skyfox:

<Snip>

Sad to hear that Skyfox, I was looking foward to it after seeing your posts on the IG, and after reading this, it seems like your writing skills are good too.

Just wondering, roughly how much work have you got done on this TC?

------------------
| (url="http://"http://www.ambrosiasw.com/cgi-bin/ubb/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number;=56&SUBMIT;=Go") EV Image Gallery.(/url) | (url="http://"http://www.ambrosiasw.com/cgi-bin/ubb/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number;=9&SUBMIT;=Go") EV Developers Corner.(/url) | (url="http://"http://www.ambrosiasw.com/cgi-bin/ubb/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number;=20&SUBMIT;=Go") And lest we forget, EV Chronicles.(/url) | (url="http://"http://directory.uroboricforms.org/profile.php?id=00076")My Profile(/url) | '' Wow this the millionth topic like this....my advice ask your mom or read a book. the internet is for spam, not advice. '' -amandaofdoom

I'll have a go at trying to complete this TC if you don't mind. I have a few freinds that might be interested in working on it as well. If you have a basic outline for the story lines we can work off that, otherwise we'll have to change a lot of it. Anyways, send it to moonlesskey@fastmail.fm as its the only mailbox I have thats big enough.

------------------
The veil, so close, but so far beyond our reach.

Originally posted by Prime:
I'll have a go at trying to complete this TC if you don't mind. I have a few freinds that might be interested in working on it as well. If you have a basic outline for the story lines we can work off that, otherwise we'll have to change a lot of it. Anyways, send it to moonlesskey@fastmail.fm as its the only mailbox I have thats big enough.

Alright, i'll send you the stuff.

Originally posted by TheRedeemer:
Just wondering, roughly how much work have you got done on this TC?

I was at first alpha, or version .1. Basicly all the desgins, graphics, 90% of the planets, governments and ships completed. With the missions, tweaking and graphics remodeled needing to be done.

Originally posted by Pace (haldora):
**Cool! But I'll leave that job to the really experienced plugmakers.
Sad you won't be able to finish it. The scenario looks really good, and the set up is pretty realistic. I just have two comments: WWIII only? Come on, it's the 23rd century I'd have expected a few wars beforehand. Big-time peace (I mean, between two big wars or battles) has never lasted more than one century **

Well, i'ld imagine that there would be smaller conflicts, something similar to kosovo. The thing is, the more prolonged the period of peace is, usualy the worse the war that follows. And yes my spelling is awfull, I usualy save spellchecking till the last stage of development.

------------------
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein

Originally posted by Skyfox:
The thing is, the more prolonged the period of peace is, usualy the worse the war that follows.

<seant raises an eyebrow>

Can you back that up with data? How does one quantify war? Off the top of my head I can only think of one period in history in which there was a prolonged period of peace in one area: the Pax Romana. I fail to see how the subsequent conflicts the Romans had with peoples migrating from Russia were any worse than--for example--when Rome was sacked by the Celts early on.

If you have data, I'd be very interested in seeing it/hearing your views. I have a strong interest in social interactions and if you've picked up on a trend, I'd like to learn more.

-STH

------------------
"Create enigmas, not explanations." -Robert Smithson

Originally posted by seant:
**I have a strong interest in social interactions and if you've picked up on a trend, I'd like to learn more.

"In the Country of the Blind" Š 2001 by Michael Flynn from Tor SF (paperback 2003) has some very interesting factual data on that very subject.