nesting {} in descs?

The Bible says:

You can add in a "!" character before the "bXXX" test in order to negate the result of the test, but unlike the control bit test strings, you cannot perform compound tests in a dësc resource - i.e., no testing of multiple bits at a time.

which is fine, but I started wondering about nested {} statements. The basic idea can be summed up like:

if (b001)
"bit 1 is set";
else
if (b002)
"bit 2 is set";
else
"no bit is set";
endif
endif

I imagine the {} statement would then be:
{b001 "bit 1 is set" {b002 "bit 2 is set" "no bit is set"}}

Thus far, I have not been able to trick the engine to interpret this correctly. Any thoughts? I find this concept of adaptive statements in descs really interesting; I must have had a vague memory that this could be done in Nova because I implemented essentially the same thing in a lambdamoo project in which a $room's description can be altered by real world weather conditions.

Is this doable in Nova, and if not, would it be too much of a pain to think it'd make it into an engine revision? Obviously I have no idea how it's coded in Nova, and it took me a while to get nested evals working in my lambdamoo project, so it might be something to forget about.

-STH

------------------
"Create enigmas, not explanations." -Robert Smithson

(This message has been edited by seant (edited 07-08-2004).)

(This message has been edited by seant (edited 07-08-2004).)

It doesn't work, as you've found seant, and it's not likely to in the future. I vaguely recall having MCB or a henchman tell me as much. It's a major pain and a big limiting factor on the usefullness of that feature. Sorry dude.

------------------
~Charlie
Sephil Saga Homepage: (url="http://"http://www.cwssoftware.com")www.cwssoftware.com(/url)

Originally posted by Masamune:
I vaguely recall having MCB or a henchman tell me as much.

Doh! A quick search for "{" and "desc" showed this topic has come up before. At least {bxxx "blah1" ""} {bxxx "blah2" ""} {bxxx "blah3" ""} works....

Thanks for the heads up.

-STH

------------------
"Create enigmas, not explanations." -Robert Smithson