Black border on ships

Originally posted by dzeron:
**Masks don't need anti-ali, if you meant that xD

I do masks simply by first doing the main frame set, then turn the clone image to black and whote (or turn saturation to 0%, well, which is black and white xD) and then edit contrast and brightness settings, add contrast to maximum and as much brightness as possible (this will turn everything, but deep black, in to white, which is... perfect and quick way to do :D)

Saturation deos make it grayscale not white and black....and this won´t work if you have a big ship with very dark shadows..

------------------
And then there were silence.................

My two yen...

Having tried the "magic wand" route and the "adjust contrast and desaturate" route, the "render a white ship" was definately the clean and fast way to go. For aps that support it, rendering an alpha is even better (Bryce will render all selected objects as white against a black background, for instance).

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us....they can't get away this time."
-- Lt. Gen Lewis B. Puller, USMC

Originally posted by Commander Arashi:
**My two yen...

Having tried the "magic wand" route and the "adjust contrast and desaturate" route, the "render a white ship" was definately the clean and fast way to go. For aps that support it, rendering an alpha is even better (Bryce will render all selected objects as white against a black background, for instance).

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us....they can't get away this time."
-- Lt. Gen Lewis B. Puller, USMC

That's not good solution for windows users who render 36 images and manually align them and such, that makes the count... to 72, which turns me down, so I prefer doing it myway 😛

Originally posted by modesty_blaise_us:

Saturation deos make it grayscale not white and black....and this won´t work if you have a big ship with very dark shadows..

Truth, but I usually call images 'black and white' not 'greyscale', ie when looking old photos, I usually say black and white, probably because in my language its almost the same with greyscale, but here we use black and white for it 😛

Infact, you need to use more than one light source, or your images look weird, you know, in real life, everything has tons of shadows, but not really black shadows at all (Well in non-artificial lightning :p)

------------------

Infact, you need to use more than one light source, or your images look weird, you know, in real life, everything has tons of shadows, but not really black shadows at all (Well in non-artificial lightning:p )

Some areas which lie in complete shadow often become black or nearly completely black...the pirate carrier has some places i think.

And i use multiple lights. Still things have shadows.. an example, i just made a starcraft carrier, it´s inside is nearly completely shut of from light, and it´s still visible..

------------------
And then there were silence.................

Originally posted by modesty_blaise_us:

Infact, you need to use more than one light source, or your images look weird, you know, in real life, everything has tons of shadows, but not really black shadows at all (Well in non-artificial lightning:p )

Some areas which lie in complete shadow often become black or nearly completely black...the pirate carrier has some places i think.

And i use multiple lights. Still things have shadows.. an example, i just made a starcraft carrier, it´s inside is nearly completely shut of from light, and it´s still visible..

I don't understand you, but, sounds cool xD

------------------

Just started rendering ships in Carrara Studio. It does Global Illumination fast enough to use it for an entire sprite set! That little touch of inter-object illumination definately enhances the shadowed parts.

You mean, there's no p2s avail for Windows users? Boy howdy...if I was still lining up sprite frames by hand I wouldn't go NEAR a Nova plug-in.

------------------
"As a weapon of war it leaves much to be desired; but as a spectacle it takes much beating." -- a General observing the disastrous test of the JATO-assisted "jumping" tank.

Originally posted by Commander Arashi:
**Just started rendering ships in Carrara Studio. It does Global Illumination fast enough to use it for an entire sprite set! That little touch of inter-object illumination definately enhances the shadowed parts.

You mean, there's no p2s avail for Windows users? Boy howdy...if I was still lining up sprite frames by hand I wouldn't go NEAR a Nova plug-in.

At least not that I know of, that's why I need to... well... accept not 100% perfect masks, but only 99% great masks 😄

------------------