Section from Genesis: A Guide to Plug-in Creation

This is the promised section for the plug-in guide I've been writing. I'm betting that this will be quite controversial so I respectfully request that you submit a list of criticism and a small amount of explanation but not start a long debate about it. Comments will be taken into consideration when I revise this.

C. What makes a good plug-in?

A question that should be asked by every developer of a plug-in of any sort is that one. It should be the fundamental question behind all your work, unless you’re creating a plug-in for sheer enjoyment but even then, asking yourself that question will be helpful. As I pondered this question, I came up with this list of items that I feel, along with many others, are necessary for a successful plug-in. This is not a comprehensive list of what is necessary but it should provide a starting point for the design of your plug-in, whether it is a TC or one that adds a few missions.

The first thing you should know is that the entire concept of a good plug-in breaks down into three primary concepts: a good plot, visually appealing artwork, and a realistic universe. A truly ‘good’ plug-in will not have one or two of those qualities, but instead have all three. That is the goal of this section of this guide, to help you get a sense of what people think is desirable within a plug-in.

Realistic Universe

We want to be in an immersive universe, which seems real. Sure, we have an imagination but even in a sci fi game like Nova, our imagination has a certain limit so try to keep it as realistic as possible. For instance, instead of giving armor to all ships at the same amount of space and cost, make it so that those costs vary based on the ship’s mass and size. Other examples would be to make sure that your governments don’t operate on the premise that everyone just loves the dictator and follows him because of it, or having fighters that can kill any ship instantly. Also, don’t include things such as the ‘perfect character.’ The main character is as human (or alien) as anyone else so he shouldn’t be the center of everything or never fail. People make mistakes. An interesting counter to this issue would be to create a few archenemies for the player and weave that concept into the storyline and have the player feel like the other side has heroes too. Overall, just make the people, places, and events seem realistic and not too out there.

Realistic Races and Governments

Everyone has a motivation and an agenda. Be sure to keep that in mind when designing your governments and races. Don’t have a government just there for looks or to be just there. An example of this would the usage of pirates in plug-ins. They are realistic and/or still individuals. Pirates in the 16th century still had reasons to engage in piracy other than just for the sake of being a pirate. Some may want to experience the thrills, others may seek quick wealth, and many others may seek revenge. Likewise, don’t just add random independent or minor governments for the sake of having them. They need to be given detailed motivations and issues. Perhaps they want more autonomy from the influences of a nearby power. They may have a very split populace on the issue and this creates the seeds for many desperate actions. Simply giving governments motivations and issues will vastly enhance the realism and give you quite a few mission hooks for you to work with.

Another issue I’ve found with plug-ins is the constant number of cliché cultures of two types: the ‘klingons’ and the ‘Vorlons’. For those who don’t know, the Klingons are the war-like race obsessed with fighting that appeared in all five Star Trek series while the Vorlons were the superpowers of the Babylon 5 universe who were untouchable by the mortal races. The violent, barbaric race has been very overused as has been the concept of a God-like race, who just so happens to be quite benevolent or violent. The only exception to this rule would be if you managed to make them unique and be deeper. Contradictions in their culture would increase their depth as would splinter groups and unrest.

Additionally, don’t make a fine distinction between good and evil. Add many shade of gray as they are present in the real world. In our world, people argue over the ethicality of the Iraqi War. Make sure that wars in your universe are even more argued over because that’s how it happens in the real world and forces the player to make a choice about what they must do. Note that this may confuse may players and increase the overall difficulty of the plug-in so one must balance difficulty and realism.

Relative ship and technology balance is something I must stress. Do not include a super ship. Those do not exist in real life because someone will always find a way to counter it given the amount of time required to design and build such a ship. The actual technological balance can be skewed towards one side, it has happened in history with the centuries that China had over the West in terms of naval technology in the 15th century, but do not make it like the Polaris-Federation gap. Do not make it so a destroyer in a fleet can pulverize the best ships of another government. In a relative modern environment, it will not happen unless centuries of isolation between all of humanity occurs and a government values technological achievement far more than all others.

Give everyone in your universe a personality. Do not make them bland and flat. They are comprised of individuals, each of them with a vibrant personality. Their governments should reflect that each government is comprised of individuals which means they will splinter, fail, make mistakes, and be prejudicial. For instance, in the stock Nova universe, the Aurorans weren’t made as klingons. Instead, they were divided into houses, had a distinct method of government, given ships that matched their style, and had people who were good and bad. This came together to create a greater effect. The same thing occurred with the Polaris. They aren’t the stereotypical, benevolent protector race with organic ships. They have a rather different caste systems, their hyperspace links symbolize their unity, they aren’t invincible, and they regularly wage war against the rest of humanity. The idea is to create a race, give them motivations, and then make them human by adding various qualities and imperfections.

Interesting Spatial Features

Our galaxy does not consist entirely of Sun-like stars with Earth-like planets orbiting them. Rather, our galaxy is full of wonderful phenomenon like neutron stars, dwarf stars, black holes, dark matter, nebulae, and red giants. Your galaxy should show the variety of stellar objects that are present in reality. Realism is one of things that makes people want to continue to play your plug-in, and hence one must place great importance upon it. Also to use a little common sense when it comes to the placement of the interesting phenomenon. For instance, a blackhole or a the remnants of a supernova are not going to be right next to an inhabited planet.

Creative/Realistic Naming –

The primary concern with this is that you are consistent with your naming schemes for certain things. Don’t name one system Bob and then another system nearby Alpha Centauri. There’s a certain lack of connection between the names and don’t usually get associated together. You should however try to differentiate names between different cultures and governments though, to emphasize their differences. However, names like Bob probably shouldn’t be used as anything except an easter egg. It detracts from the professionalism and realism of your plug-in. Summarized, try to keep consistency within a government, variety between governments, and realistic overall.

Good Graphics –

Some would state that this is not at all necessary for a good plug-in but somehow I find that quite untrue. People will judge your plug-in on how good its graphics are, because that’s the simplest way to determine professionalism of the plug-in. Ever wonder why people play Unreal Tournament 2003? Or half the games out for PC? Graphics quality. Many people simply don’t care how good your storyline is if your graphical quality is dismal. I am not suggesting that you need cinema-quality graphics but I would recommend something on the level of the above average work on the ASW EV Image Gallery. If you must resort to graphics of lesser quality, be sure to use techniques like LASIK and such to at least maximize the quality of what you have. Also, don’t be afraid of checking out the various free shipyards out there, many of which have high-quality graphics available. Remember to give the author proper credit though.

Innovation –

Take a look at Sephil Saga for a very good demonstration of what innovation is. In the context of the situation, innovation is coming up with new ideas for features that creatively use the Nova engine. For example, Masamune and the Sephil Saga team are implementing a shipbuilding system that makes it so outfits affect your ship’s speed and such. Uncle Twitchy is implementing a way for ships to vary travel times based on their warp drive. Days of Glory (run by myself) is implementing a method for you to be arrested, jailed, and otherwise punished for carrying certain sorts of items. The point being that you don’t want to limit yourself to what is documented in the Nova Bible or any other source. Think of ideas and don’t forget about them because there’s no straightforward implementation. Brainstorm possible solutions and then if it’s finally apparent that it’s not going to work, keep a record of it and perhaps someone else will figure it out or you’ll have a burst of creativity.

Quality Sound –

I would say that this is one of the less important things. While having a realistic set of sounds and voices, the only real requirement is that they be clear and be free of static, and be reasonably realistic. Don’t have a guy singing when a weapon fires or the like when dealing with this. While other games often have background music, Nova does not and that saves you quite a bit of work. However, the intro music is still an issue and the best choice for that is something non-pop and not too bright unless you want to create an image of that sort for your plug-in. Experiment with songs and allow others to give an opinion so that you can find a piece of music that is best-suited for your plug-in.

Engaging Storylines –

Make sure your player feels involved in the universe and the storyline. Language has a major influence on the effect one receives from an idea so be sure to maximize the usage of personal pronouns like ‘you’ and then minimize the use of words like ‘one’, ‘thus’, or anything of the like. They give the feeling of a professional essay or paper which is not appropriate for creative writing intended to provoke the player’s imagination. In addition, to having a personal feel, a good plug-in will give the player choices, not too much to make it too complex to implement but sufficient to allow the player to feel like that they are driving the storyline and that it’s not completely pre-written. An engaging storyline will also contain various hooks and surprise the player by making events happen like they would in reality. It all connects to trying to make the plug-in realistic overall.

Enemies with a face –

One of my pet peeves is when the enemy presented is an anonymous group just there as a plot element. This makes the plot seem rather shallow and it doesn’t make me feel like I’m truly involved nor is it interesting. In real life, there is no black and white in terms of right and wrong or the enemy and your friends. There is much gray room. Take for example World War I, it was caused by every major country in Europe and was not the sole fault of the Germans or the Austrians. In every war that humanity has fought, the enemy has been human and therefore has human traits. Enemy soldiers and sailors had the same hopes and dreams as your comrades and they felt the same pain and joy. They were as human as anyone. In a realistic plug-in, you want to simulate reality and for this aspect, to simulate that you will want to make sure that the enemy has a personality, whether it be a culture built upon war and honor or one forced by necessity to draft citizens and defend itself. This all coincides with the need to provide background information on governments and groups to prevent the Enemy without a Face Syndrome.

Non-linear storylines –

If anyone has ever watched Pokemon, Digimon, or any of the cartons based on trading card games, you will know what the epitome of a linear storyline is. Things happen in a linear path for the sheer sake of being in the plot. An example would be: Paul gets attacked. Paul gets a gun. Paul goes and gets revenge. The end. We don’t want that sort of storyline simply because it’s not interesting and the player lacks the ability to influence what happens but is instead railroaded onto it and then through it, if the player even bothers to continue playing it. What we want is something like: Paul gets attacked. Paul is offered a deal for someone to get the revenge for him in exchange for a small favor. Paul has a choice between that or doing it himself. Along either of those paths lies more choices and the ability for Paul to switch options, plans, or such. In working for a government, non-linear storylines would mean irregular ways of joining the government services, extensive options to defect, extensive choices, and the ability to make a difference and then make their decisions on their own.

Minimal Cliches –

Do not have another TC or plug-in with a corrupt Federation and then a rebellion group unless you can make it more original. That concept has been covered in both EV and Nova, and many more other plug-ins. Other clichés that should be avoided is the infallible character syndrome where the player always seems to win the battles, get the ladies, and beat opponents in whatever competition. It becomes unbelievable after a while. Even plug-ins like Frozen Heart have had this sort of syndrome. Don’t continue the trend. Another cliché to be avoided is the “Super Ship Syndrome” where in the plug-in, there is a ship that dominates everything else, is cheap, and can be bought anywhere. Remember to always keep a sense of balance in the world to justify equilibrium and maintain a semblance of realism. Other clichés are things like the superpower race with organic technology or the mystical, alien race that is made of pure evil. If you’ve seen it in Star Trek, Star Wars, or lots of plug-ins, chances are that its become cliché. Avoid them at all cost since they just demonstrate a lack of originality.

Polish –

The primary things involved with this are making sure that bugs are minimized along with spelling and grammar errors. Signs of a polished product also include appropriate content, clear descriptions, a decent read-me or the like, and a coherent, well-written storyline. Polish is often the difference between people continuing to play despite some issues or quitting. Who wants to play a buggy plug-in with mission texts that are full of grammar and spelling errors? I think I am speaking for most people when I say that I want to have fun, not try to decipher poorly written text. Doing a decent job of removing spelling and grammar mistakes is one of the easiest parts of plug-in development but many people will judge your plug-in on it, so just spend a hour or so using MishMash or equivalent fixing it by at least running it through grammar and spelling check.

Overall Realism –

This topic is mostly a reiteration and summary of what has been said before. If you’ve followed the guidelines previously set forth, your plug-in should be overall realistic for a sci fi game but it is a good idea to go in afterwards with testers and make sure that the game is balanced, and that your stellar geography is reasonable as is your political and economic model. It doesn’t have to be perfect but it should be decent.

Dynamic Nature –

Last, but certainly not least, is the need for your plug-in to be dynamic in terms of galactic changes. If the player wins a major battle, change things in the scenario to reflect this change or show that the player has done something. Also, be able to simulate a relatively dynamic economy with crons and oops which again increases accuracy. Examples of further work along these lines would be to have borders change with events in order to emphasize the fact that planets in a region are engaging in an active war of sorts. An example would be to have minor or major changes in the borders of governments every few months or every few years representing the tide of battle turning back and forth or having a side just simply win.

------------------
(url="http://"http://www.zhouj.net/days/")Days of Glory(/url), Upcoming TC for EV: Nova

(This message has been edited by zhouj (edited 03-16-2004).)

(This message has been edited by zhouj (edited 03-16-2004).)

Very, very good. The developers of the community (including me) would do well to heed Zhouj's advice.

On the topic of realism, I suggest that people consider at least basic study into historical events and how they relate to the events in the plug-in, especially Europe at the turn of the century, the struggle between Communism and the West during the Cold War, and the rise and fall of the Roman Empire. Seeing how historic empires and conflicts came to be can help you write a more realistic story- 'Empire A wanted to defend itself against the agressive expansionism of Empire B, fearing that Empire B would eventually encroach upon its territory, and launched a pre-emptive strike that degenerated into a long, bloody war' makes a much more compelling war than 'Emperor A didn't like the color of Emperor B's underwear'. After all, the storyline will feel more immersive if the player is fighting for freedom, as opposed to wardrobe concerns. Backstory is very important- how else are you going to maintain any semblance of coherency? And by building your backstory with a grasp of historical events, you can make it more compelling, realistic, and believable.

As well, have someone read over your descriptions so that your pseudoscience isn't too painful for people to read. Although there's no way to ensure that everything's physically correct, descriptions like 'this laser fires antimatter plasma particles through a gravimetric crystal and disrupts the neutron signals of the enemy ship's computers' should be avoided and eliminated.

Just my humble thoughts on the subject.

(EDIT): Just a few clarifications.

------------------
Retribution: An Upcoming Plug-in for EVN.
Visit the (url="http://"http://www.ambrosiasw.com/cgi-bin/ubb/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number;=20&SUBMIT;=Go")Chronicles(/url) today! Be sure to read the short story ' (url="http://"http://www.ambrosiasw.com/cgi-bin/ubb/newsdisplay.cgi?action=topics &number;=20&forum;=*EV/EVO+chronicles&DaysPrune;=100&article;=000262&startpoint;=")Fiery Descent(/url)'!
(url="http://"http://www.cwssoftware.com")Sephil Saga(/url): An upcoming TC, visit the web page today.| | | Both the best and the worst plug-in editor for Windows! (url="http://"http://www.aznt.com/EVN/EVNEW")EVNEW(/url)!

(This message has been edited by UE_Research & Development (edited 03-16-2004).)

(This message has been edited by UE_Research & Development (edited 03-16-2004).)

Looks good at first skim, and I second UE_Research & Development in saying that it is very important to know the history of your universe, even if the player will never fully find out. If you know the motivations and histories of your worlds and people, you will be better prepared to explain things that require explanation and maintain a level of consistency throughout your TC.

------------------
Moderator- (url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/cgi-bin/ubb/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number;=9&SUBMIT;=Go&mrxak;=cool")EV Developer's Corner(/url) | (url="http://"http://www.ambrosiasw.com/cgi-bin/ubb/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number;=69SUBMIT=Go&mrxak;=cool")Uplink Web Board(/url) | (url="http://"http://forums.evula.com/viewforum.php?f=18")mrxak's Assorted Webspace Forum(/url) | (url="http://"http://forums.evula.com/viewforum.php?f=48")Starcraft Forum(/url) | | (url="http://"http://directory.uroboricforms.org/profile.php?id=00008")My Profile(/url) | (url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/cgi-bin/ubb/postdisplay.cgi?forum=Forum10&topic;=007599-2&whichpost;=mrxak11-06-200203:22PM")mrxak(/url)
(url="http://"http://www.mrxak.com")mrxak.com(/url) | (url="http://"http://www.mrxak.com/haikus/haikuarchive.html")The Haiku Archive(/url) | (url="http://"http://www.mrxak.com/EV/N/amtc/amtc.html")A mrxak TC(/url) | (url="http://"http://www.mrxak.com/EV/N/challenge/thechallenge.html")The Challenge v1.0.3(/url) | (url="http://"http://www.mrxak.com/EV/TmC/TmC.html")The mrxak Challenge(/url) | (url="http://"http://www.mrxak.com/chess/chesstournament.html")Chess(/url) | (url="http://"http://www.evula.org/mrxak/")mrxak's Assorted Webspace(/url) | (url="http://"http://blog.evula.net/mrxak/")The mrxak Blog(/url)
(url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/cgi-bin/ubb/search.cgi?action=intro")Search First(/url) | (url="http://"http://www.macgamer.net/games/uplink/")Uplink Guide(/url) | (url="http://"http://www.ambrosiasw.com/webboard/Forum69/HTML/000061.html")Install Uplink Add-ons(/url) | (url="http://"http://www.evula.com/survival_guide/")EV/O/N Guide(/url) | (url="http://"http://www.ambrosiasw.com/cgi-bin/ubb/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number;=31&SUBMIT;=Go")Plug-in Guide(/url) | (url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/webboard/Forum9/HTML/003196.html")Plug-in Developers(/url) | (url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/webboard/Forum9/HTML/003091.html")Plug-in Testers(/url) | (url="http://"http://davidarthur.evula.net/mc.php")Mission Computer(/url)
"When you burn your bridges, just make sure they aren't in front of you." -mrxak

Originally posted by mrxak:
I second UE_Research & Development in saying that it is very important to know the history of your universe, even if the player will never fully find out.

Well, that's what documentation is for.

I spent hours reading the Nova documentary and I'm basically rewriting the ST Tech Manual in my own words (and technology) for 2478. I think a lot of players are truly interested in reading the history of a universe.

Do not make it so a destroyer in a fleet can pulverize the best ships of another government. In a relative modern environment, it will not happen unless centuries of isolation between all of humanity occurs and a government values technological achievement far more than all others.

I'm going to second this. One of the things that get's me excited about SS (besides the shipbuilding feature) is the fact that they claim that battles will be more realistic. Battles should be challening. You have no idea how hard it is to find an equal match in Nova. I would stress that people should be equals, if not inferiors, to the computer

Anyhow, Zhouj, I think that you've taken everything from Chapter 11 (Don't Do This!) and Chapter 8 (Excellent Examples). I think this is exactly what most people will be looking for when trying to write their plug (but plugging is 95% writing, 95% sweat, 95% frustration, 95% computer problems and only 5% fun. Of course, relatively, that 5% is 500% to most other people (scaled down for comparison).

I like it.

------------------
When viewing a Terrapin for the first time, I realized that anything flies-if you throw it hard enough!

Originally posted by Zzap212:
**I'm going to second this. One of the things that get's me excited about SS (besides the shipbuilding feature) is the fact that they claim that battles will be more realistic. Battles should be challening. You have no idea how hard it is to find an equal match in Nova. I would stress that people should be equals, if not inferiors, to the computer

Anyhow, Zhouj, I think that you've taken everything from Chapter 11 (Don't Do This!) and Chapter 8 (Excellent Examples). I think this is exactly what most people will be looking for when trying to write their plug (but plugging is 95% writing, 95% sweat, 95% frustration, 95% computer problems and only 5% fun. Of course, relatively, that 5% is 500% to most other people (scaled down for comparison).

I like it.

Are you referring to a specific book? Or are you saying that I've covered the stuff on those topics? A little clarification would be appreciated. 🙂

As for 95% computer problems, I really wish someone would please write a stable, free, and fully-functional editor for OS X. The current options aren' the best. And if David Arthur is reading this: please implement a way to zoom in and out in the system editor for Mission Computer.

------------------
(url="http://"http://www.zhouj.net/days/")Days of Glory(/url), Upcoming TC for EV: Nova

It's a joke from an episode of "I Love Lucy" (I hate that damned show). She was writing a book and some people contacted her about publishing it. She got all excited and wrote lots more, when they realized they had gotten the wrong book. They read her story anyway and the publisher told her that they might use it in a textbook. When she was called the next day, she readily agreed, but the man, being nice and trying to warn her, informed her that her story was meant for Chapter 11, "Don't Do This!". Chapter 8 was my own creation.

I'm saying that you've rolled it all into one concise and clear guide.

As for 95% computer problems, I really wish someone would please write a stable, free, and fully-functional editor for OS X. The current options aren' the best. And if David Arthur is reading this: please implement a way to zoom in and out in the system editor for Mission Computer.

I wouldn't mind a fully functional galaxy and system editor. I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but I love the 1-screen interface of RES Edit. You can open hundreds of resources at once and they're all have their own window and each window has ALL info on the front (what is the reason behind all of the tab-based interfaces anyway? it just slows down productivity). If someone would make a rock solid 1-screen-per-resource OS X native editor with a functional Galaxy and System editor (no offense, but the MC one is a little bad — I use it because I must), plus full linkage (i.e. when you go to type in a field requiring the RID of another type of resource, it gives you a list of the ones availble and lets you choose one) and a dedicated system to keep control of your bits (i.e. it tells you that b1 is a test for outfits X Y and Z and a test for Mission P), plugin work on the Macintosh (we should have a truly functional editor, seeing as how Nova is truly a Mac game, damn all PCs) would increase, speedwise, tenfold.

------------------
When viewing a Terrapin for the first time, I realized that anything flies-if you throw it hard enough!

(This message has been edited by Zzap212 (edited 03-16-2004).)

I think this is really good. It has given me lots of good Ideas for my own TC. Mind If I copy it to my hard drive for reference?

------------------
Cmon people, the (url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/cgi-bin/ubb/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number;=20&SUBMIT;=Go")Chronicles(/url) are worth looking at.

Originally posted by Captain Phillips:
**I think this is really good. It has given me lots of good Ideas for my own TC. Mind If I copy it to my hard drive for reference?

I'm releasing it for public use so yes. It will be present in the final version of my guide. However, I ask that you if you distribute it, make sure to note that it was written by Zhou Jiang (or zhouj if you prefer my online name.)

------------------

Originally posted by zhouj:
**I'm releasing it for public use so yes. It will be present in the final version of my guide. However, I ask that you if you distribute it, make sure to note that it was written by Zhou Jiang (or zhouj if you prefer my online name.)

Will do, thanks.

------------------
Cmon people, the (url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/cgi-bin/ubb/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number;=20&SUBMIT;=Go")Chronicles(/url) are worth looking at.

Zhouj, did you ever read (url="http://"http://www.ambrosiasw.com/cgi-bin/vftp/show.pl?product=evn&category;=guides&display;=date&file;=Non-Technical_EVN_Bible.sit.hqx")the non-technical Nova Bible(/url)? It has covered some of what you're trying to cover (not that you shouldn't write your project, but read this one first).

------------------
The (url="http://"https://secure.ambrosiasw.com/cgi-bin/store/hazel.cgi?action=serve&item;=breakdown.html&BREAKDOWN;_SKUID=1480")Ambrosia Mac CD(/url) with other registrations - 5$. Paying for (url="http://"http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/")EV Nova(/url) as it's such a great game - 30$.
The (url="http://"http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/tshirts.html")1337 EV Nova T-shirt(/url) - 22$. The (url="http://"http://w00tware.ev-nova.net/")NovaTools(/url) by wOOtWare to tinker with your Nova - FREE!
The feeling you're a Nova geek - priceless.
There are things you can't buy or that are free, for everything else, there's indeed Eurocard Mastercard.

Is there a Windows friendly version of the Non-Technical Nova Bible? I'd be interested to give it a read.

Edit: While I'm here, I'll give my 2 cents on the subject at hand. Not a bad read, zhouj. However, I would say there's a bit too much emphasis on realism for my taste. This may be splitting hairs, but I think 'plausible' allows for somewhat more freedom for developers, and is all that many players really need. The term seems to carry less weight.

For example, I don't need to have the pseudo-science of how various reactors or warp-drives work, as long as I'm not told that a ship is propelled by a mouse running on a wheel.
------------------

(This message has been edited by slouch (edited 03-17-2004).)

My general opinion of realism: If you don't know enough to explain it properly, don't explain it. Trying to explain things you don't know enough about is what causes stuff like the "thermal cannon" d&eumlsc; in Polycon.

Originally posted by Wyrm:
My general opinion of realism: If you don't know enough to explain it properly, don't explain it. Trying to explain things you don't know enough about is what causes stuff like the "thermal cannon" d &eumlsc; in Polycon.

Let me clarify: I mean realism in the political and socioeconomic sense. For example, a government would wage war for economic and political reasons but not because they dislike the nose of the other government's leader's daughter. I do not mean that it has realism in the scientific sense; you don't have to elaborate about the pseudoscience of a device but you should mention a basic princple and have a slight sense of realism. e.g., don't make stuff that turns people into water.

------------------

(This message has been edited by zhouj (edited 03-18-2004).)

My opinion exactly.

Originally posted by slouch:
Is there a Windows friendly version of the Non-Technical Nova Bible? I'd be interested to give it a read.

You're right, I did not think about it. But I've managed to read it from the PC I'm currently on. Directions:

• download the file

• have the stuffit you should have on Windows for plug conversion, the 7.5 (I just downloaded it on my school's PC I'm currently on, just in order to try), it can be found (url="http://"ftp://ftp.aladdinsys.com/pub/_old/pc/StuffIt/stuff75l.exe")here(/url) (upon clicking download will start), and install it

• open the program, and set it to trash the resource fork (the file we're talking about has one, but isn't necessary) on uncompression, and to translate the end of file markers, all in the cross-platform tab of the preferences

• click "drag & drop" in the toolbar

• drag "Non-Technical_EVN_Bible.sit.hqx" in the "expand archives and encoded files" area

• select where you want it to be outputted

• open the expanded file with wordpad or word (notepad will make it illegible by removing the end of lines...), and set wordpad to go to the next line at end of window

• If you want, replace all Ő by ', Ň by " or any other opening quote, Ó by " or any closing quote

That's about it, really. I've done it myself, so you can, can't you?

------------------
The (url="http://"https://secure.ambrosiasw.com/cgi-bin/store/hazel.cgi?action=serve&item;=breakdown.html&BREAKDOWN;_SKUID=1480")Ambrosia Mac CD(/url) with other registrations - 5$. Paying for (url="http://"http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/")EV Nova(/url) as it's such a great game - 30$.
The (url="http://"http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/tshirts.html")1337 EV Nova T-shirt(/url) - 22$. The (url="http://"http://w00tware.ev-nova.net/")NovaTools(/url) by wOOtWare to tinker with your Nova - FREE!
The feeling you're a Nova geek - priceless.
There are things you can't buy or that are free, for everything else, there's indeed Eurocard Mastercard.

For anyone interesting, I have set up a Genesis forum for discussion and such.
(url="http://"http://www.zhouj.net/Forum")http://www.zhouj.net/Forum(/url)

------------------