Adding images to outfits in Nova

How do I attach an image so it will appear as an outfit pic?
I have ResEdit with NovaTools, MissionComputer, and EVONE. An explanation for any of them would be much appreciated.
NovaTools has a box when editing outfits that would seem to be for pasting in pictures, but it doesn't work.
Is there something really obvious that I am missing, or do I have bad copies?
Please help.

------------------
Support USA Patriot Act let real Americans take away our rights before those darn foreigners can try.
Before you do what you are about to do, think about why you are about to do what you are about to do.
All the problems of the world can be solved by good parents and good water.

If you look directly below the outfit picture box in RESEdit, you will see an ID number. Set your picture's ID to that number (i.e. oütf RID: 128 = 6000).

Of course, this is a bit complicated (or rather not, but still, it's hard to have to open up your oütf's all the time to check the ID's of their picts) the RID number of your outfit picture is always the Idx. number plus 6000.

Originally posted by Klepsacovic:
NovaTools has a box when editing outfits that would seem to be for pasting in pictures

It's not for pasting pictures: rather it is a picture viewer. When your Picture has the proper corresponding ID, it will appear in this box.

(edit)-on a side note, I would like to know why no one has answered this... elementary question in the past half hour. If nobody has been here, then it's understabdable, but it's not the hardest concept to explain.

------------------
When viewing a Terrapin for the first time, I realized that anything flies-if you throw it hard enough!

(This message has been edited by Zzap212 (edited 03-05-2004).)

Formula is Resource ID - 128 + 6000
-or-
Index ID + 6000

I'm surprised I didn't find it in the bible.

(Edit) In response to zzap: It took me that long to get Classic to boot and dig through SFA alpha 2 to find the appropriate files.
------------------
"If you can't feel the Force, you're not pushing it." -Prof. Li on the "Force"
Got g?
Ignorance killed the cat. Curiosity was framed.
"We're sending a complicated system into an unknown environment at very high speed. I feel calm. I feel ready. I can only conclude it's because I don't hace a full grasp of the situation." - Mark Adler

(This message has been edited by Chuckles (edited 03-05-2004).)

Ah, thank you, it works. But it seems that NovaTools does some of the work for you, the number it gives is the exact number to use for the PICT#.

------------------
Support USA Patriot Act let real Americans take away our rights before those darn foreigners can try.
Before you do what you are about to do, think about why you are about to do what you are about to do.

(This message has been edited by Klepsacovic (edited 03-06-2004).)

Also, how do I add an image to a ship? There doesn't seem to be any similar number for doing so.

Thank you.

------------------

Ship portraits are 20000 + RID.

Purchase Picts (the ones with gradients in Nova) are 5000 + Idx

Target Picts (the red ones in Nova) are 3000 + Idx

------------------
When viewing a Terrapin for the first time, I realized that anything flies-if you throw it hard enough!

Originally posted by Zzap212:
**Ship portraits are 20000 + RID.

Purchase Picts (the ones with gradients in Nova) are 5000 + Idx

Target Picts (the red ones in Nova) are 3000 + Idx

Ship potraits? I assume that would be the normal sprites, but what about the engine glow and running lights?
Nevermind, those seemed to magically work. Thank you.

------------------

(This message has been edited by Klepsacovic (edited 03-07-2004).)

(quote)Originally posted by Klepsacovic:
Also, how do I add an image to a ship? (/buote)

I assumed that you were asking about PICT files. A ship portrait is the portrait you get when clicking the Info button (i.e. Starbridge running from 2 Vipers, Fed Carrier being flanked by a wing of Vipers).

Actual in-game shäns are a whole different game. The RLE8 and RLED's that I use are 1000 for base images, 1400 for glows, 1600 for lights. Those are standard. I think that they are not required to be those in Mac Nova, but I remember reading somewhere that there are some issues about extraneous RLE's and PICTS in Window's Nova, so I would use those to be safe. The shän should correspond with your shďp's ID (128 -> 128).

However, I would like to throw in a question here: How does Nova know how to give ships of different classes (i.e. Class A, Class 🆒 of the same kind of ship the same sprites? I.e. how does Nova know to give Rebel Starbridge Class E the same sprite as Rebel Starbridge Class B?

------------------

**However, I would like to throw in a question here: How does Nova know how to give ships of different classes (i.e. Class A, Class🆒 of the same kind of ship the same sprites? I.e. how does Nova know to give Rebel Starbridge Class E the same sprite as Rebel Starbridge Class B?

I don't think it knows to do that, so there are lots of sprites.
open data files
Let's see, duplicates, duplicates, nope.
I think it can tell because in the ship templates there is a field which says upgrades to: So I guess it uses the sprites for whatever it was upgraded from.
But I'm not really the one to know, I always feel like a complete dumbass compared to ost people here. Such a newbie I am.

------------------

Well thanks for the effort. I do have to ask how you've made ?870 posts without a knowledge of Nova... Other boards or lots of questions?

Oh, and you're not a dumbass (or maybe you are in regards to Nova (as of now), but you're not, if you know what I mean). Everything comes with practice. I'm working on a TC, so I use the resources a lot. Others simply have these things burned into their minds, others use them frequently as well and some merely want plugins... I think that it's great that you're learning.

As for upgrades, that might be how they work, then again, it might not be. I really don't know. I would appreciate it if you would test this for me (change the upgrades between two ships and see if their sprites change). No Nova for me til' April...

------------------

**Well thanks for the effort. I do have to ask how you've made ?870 posts without a knowledge of Nova... Other boards or lots of questions?

I'm not a newbie to Nova. But to plug-in making in Nova, I'm like a small child.
I have all those posts from Nova, B&B;, and tons of questions.

**No Nova for me til' April...

I'm so sorry. Or were you giving it up for Lent?

Thank you all! I'm very appreciative. Now I need to figure out how to draw ships, and get a program for drawing and 3D.

------------------

I don't think it knows to do that, so there are lots of sprites.
open data files
Let's see, duplicates, duplicates, nope.
I think it can tell because in the ship templates there is a field which says upgrades to: So I guess it uses the sprites for whatever it was upgraded from.
But I'm not really the one to know, I always feel like a complete dumbass compared to ost people here. Such a newbie I am.

Each shďp points to a specific shän, but the shän's can point to whatever Rlë8's and RlëD's they want.

------------------
"If you can't feel the Force, you're not pushing it." -Prof. Li on the "Force"
Got g?
Ignorance killed the cat. Curiosity was framed.
"We're sending a complicated system into an unknown environment at very high speed. I feel calm. I feel ready. I can only conclude it's because I don't hace a full grasp of the situation." - Mark Adler

Each ship variant has its own shan, and all of the shans of ships of one variant point to the same rle8/rleD resources. Nova is smart enough to infer the other ship graphics from this. That is, if two shans point to the same base rle resources, you only need one shipyard pict, one big shipyard pict, and one target pict, and Nova will automatically use those same images for all of the variants. Nova Ships 7 contains all of the variant shans, but you can easily check that no ship or target pict is ever duplicated.

------------------
Get (url="http://"http://www.aznt.com/EVN/EVNEW")EVNEW(/url) - the free, open-source EVN plugin Editor for Windows!

Oh, thanks. You know that I've never looked into Nova Data 7 that deeply ever?

Originally posted by Klepsacovic:
I'm so sorry. Or were you giving it up for Lent?

Accidentally deleted Nova Ships 1 and can't reload it until April when I have a high-speed connection.

------------------