Allying governments

I was wondering how I ally governments. Then how do I make the governments ally after a mission is completed, like after making nagotionations?

------------------
RoLLeY49

In the govt resource, find the Class1-4 fields. Pick an unused field (if these govts were already in the game, otherwise use the first one) and put a random number in it, say 723. Then put this number in a Class1-4 field of all the other govts you want allied, and then put the same number in an empty Ally1-4 field of each of these govts. To make classes enemies, put a class number in one or more govt resources and put the same number in one Enemy1-4 field of each of their enemies. I don't know how to change alliances/enmities based on ncb's, though.

Example:
Govt A,B,C,D are allies against E,F,G,H, but G & H are enemies. Then I put "285" in Class1 of A,B,C,& D, Ally1 of A,B,C,& D, and Enemy1 of E,F,G,& H. I put "834" in Class1 of E & F, in Ally1 of E & F, and in Enemy1 of A,B,C,& D. I put "539" in Class1 of G, in Enemy1 of H, and in Enemy2 of A,B,C,& D. Finally, I put "493" in Class1 of H, Enemy1 of G, and Enemy3 of A,B,C,& D.

Quote from EVN Resource Bible 1.0.4:

(b)Class1-Class4      Allows you to assign this govt to up to four different
                     "classes", which are simply arbitrary groupings of govts
                     that you can use to flexibly assign allies and enemies.
                     Two govts of the same class are not inherently allied
                     unless one of them has that same class number set in
                     one of its Ally fields. Set unused class fields to -1.

Ally1-Ally4        The number of up to four classes that this govt will be
                     allied with. Set to -1 if unused.

Enemy1-Enemy4      The number of up to four classes that this govt will be
                     enemies with. Set to -1 if unused.(/b)

-Vaumnou

------------------
Did you know that 63.8% of quoted statistics are made up on the spot?
"He's too late. SEE?!? THE CLIFFS OF INSANITY!!! Hurry up!"

I figure that I culd just add a rank that made it so that that governments ships wouldn't attack you, givving you the impression that there allies(like arfter making negotionations for a gov. to a gov.).

------------------
RoLLeY49

Just give the player a universal status boost to make the govts like him/her. Ranks wouldn't make them LIKE the player.

-Vaumnou

------------------
Did you know that 63.8% of quoted statistics are made up on the spot?
"He's too late. SEE?!? THE CLIFFS OF INSANITY!!! Hurry up!"

(This message has been edited by Vaumnou (edited 05-05-2003).)

But that may not be useful if you don't want those government's enemies dislike you. This may be intended behavior, but then again, it may not.

If you want them to truly ally, you will need two sets of at least one of the governments, preferably the smaller. You will need to set a bit after the negotiations have completed, and have another copy of every fleet, person, system, and spob that has that government have a value " _ !_ b XXXX " in the Visibility fields, where the XXXX is the bit you are setting after negotiations.

You will also need to have a copy of those resources, only change the government of the resources to be a similar government, only allied with the government the treaty was signed with. Also, make sure you have the visibility of the second copy of those resources be "b XXXX ", note there is no exclamation point.

What this will do is show the first set of the government before the bit is set, thus, before the negotiations, and it will show the resources from the second when the bit has been set, or after the negotiations. It is probably a good idea to add a semicolon ( ; ) and then some quick description to seperate the second set's resource names from the first set's. Anything shown after the semicolon is not shown in the game, it is there for documentation purposes. Also make sure the compgovt used in the missions after the "treaty" correspond to the newer, allied government, instead of the original, non-allied government.

Good luck with this, and hope this helps!
SpacePirate

------------------
Eat blazing electric death!
(url="http://"http://www.evula.org/infernostudios/ept/")Unofficial EV and EVO Ports(/url): Betas 3 and 2

(Edit: Syntax)

(This message has been edited by SpacePirate (edited 05-05-2003).)

Originally posted by Vaumnou:
**Just give the player a universal status boost to make the govts like him/her. Ranks wouldn't make them LIKE the player.

-Vaumnou

You can make it so that there ships don't attack you and you can land on there planets, and requset assistance from there ship with a rank.

------------------
RoLLeY49