Particle effects for Weapons

Hello,

While looking at the EVN Resource Bible section for weapons, I noticed that for any given "set" of particles (explode, impact, smoke, etc.), there is exactly one color field. However, when I shoot a railgun in-game, I see the smoke particles start blue, sparkle several different colors, turn white, and disappear. I am running in 8-bit mode, because Basilisk II can't handle Nova in 16-bit. However, I don't see this sparkling in screenshots of Nova in 16-bit mode. Is the sparkling intentional? It looks really cool, but I don't think it's supposed to sparkle. If I'm right that it isn't supposed to do that, I think I've figured out what's going on: Nova looks up the color in the "PartColor" field in a CLUT. It writes down the 8-bit palette index for that particle. It then scales the palette index down, hoping that the particle will fade to black (in 16-bit color this would probably work). However, instead of fading, it just looks up increasingly bright palette entries, ending with entry 0 = white instead of color 00R00G00B = black. I may be completely wrong and the sparkling could be intentional, but can anyone give me more information about this? Thanks in advance.

Vaumnou

------------------
Did you know that 63.8% of quoted statistics are made up on the spot?

I don't think it was intentional. I don't see it taking place on my machine @ 16bit color.

------------------
"...yet gradually we recovered, venturing cautiously back into the void of space afraid of what we might find there."

That's the thing. It only does it on 8 bit color. I think Vaumnou's assertation is a reasonable explanation for the problem. I've also noticed that it doesn't do transparencies very well, also. Try giving a ship an engine glow that overlays part of the ship. It doesn't blend the glow in.

Welcome to the boards, Vaumnou!

------------------
Eat blazing electric death!
(url="http://"http://www.evula.org/infernostudios/ept/")Unofficial EV Port(/url) Beta 2

Thanks, SpacePirate and Skyfox.

------------------
Did you know that 63.8% of quoted statistics are made up on the spot?