Help with conversations in MASCOT

I created a topic on the Ferazel Web Board, asking about the conversations. They told me to come to the hacking board. All I want to know is how you get conversations to come in when you want; I can't even get them to come in to my levels at all!

------------------

I'm in a nice mood ;). Ferazel may only have a conversation with objects who's sprite IDs are 2951-2999. This number comes from their ID in the Ferazel's Wand Sprite file not their MASCOT sprite designation. They are all grouped together in MASCOT starting with Greitoutious (I can never spell that ;)) To make a conversation, go to the "select/edit conversation" under the "World" menu. Enter a number. Usually keep conversations all numerical, I started mine with 200 since that's where Ambrosia started theirs. To make a conversation associated with a speakable object, enter the conversation's ID into the first info field of that sprite. To make a conversation, first enter the name of the first speaker, and the sprite ID of his/her face (use ResEdit to scan them) and then type text into the third box, that all sounds easy right? The text will then advance to the next line, with the next speaker, ect. However, conversations can preform some pretty complex actions:
These are if actions. They test to see if something is or is not.
The number before them is what you enter into the first if box. Where it says (arg) is where you insert a number into the first info field or (arg2) for the second. For the first one, for instance, the number you enter into the first info field will be the number of coins Ferazel must have.
1: true if player has (arg) coins or more
2: true if player has item of type (arg) and quantity (arg2) or more
4: true if flag # (arg) is set (Used only within individual conversation)
5: true if player permflag # (arg) is set to (arg2) (Used gamewide)

If the condition(s) prove true, the conversation heads to the goto line specified in IF. If it is false (or if no conditions were specified beforehand), it a) executes any actions given it, and 🆒 goes to the goto in ELSE. You cannot have a true IF statement while executing the actions in ELSE; you will need to goto a seperate line to do so. The actions that can be performed:
1: remove (arg) coins
2: give player item of type (arg) (arg2: quantity)
3: remove item of type (arg)
4: set permanent flag # (arg)
5: set player permflag # (arg) to (arg2)
(1, 2, or 3)
6: open rock barrier ((arg) = 0, (arg2) = 3; this opens all rock barriers in the level with the first info field as 0)
8: permanently validate sprite (arg) on level (arg2)
9: destroy this sprite permanently

If you want to execute a line's action(s) but not display its text, give a goto value with a negative sign preceding.

A final note, the (arg) value used to specify an item that Ferazel might have to have given or taken away from him does not use the sprite ID code. There are only 26 items that Ferazel may have in his invintory so use this code:
1. silver key
2. gold key
3. plat key,
4. magic potion
5. health potion
6. Fire nuts
7. Locket
8. Hammer
9. Poppy Muffin
10. Algernon Peice
11. Algernon Frame
12. Algernon
13.Gwindendon
14. Shield
15. Magic Shield
16. Smite Ring
17. Escape Ring
18. Ice Pick
19. Multi Crystal
20. Light Orb
21. Vorpal Dirk
22. Red Xichrons
23. Rez Necklace
24. Fire Charm
25. Mist Potion
26. Zir. Seeds
------------------------
Does that answer your question? 😉

------------------
Dr. Tall says: Taller is Better

(This message has been edited by Dr Tall (edited 04-21-2001).)

Originally posted by MDWGMalc:
**I created a topic on the Ferazel Web Board, asking about the conversations. They told me to come to the hacking board. All I want to know is how you get conversations to come in when you want; I can't even get them to come in to my levels at all!

When my conversation editor is done (See the topic "ACE"), it'll be a lot easier to make conversations.
Also, would you like to join the One Big World project?
It's a group of level makers that are working togethor on a huge level set

------------------
Most people are swindled into believing stupid things like Santa, the Tooth Fairy, God(s), etc.
They later side with common sense and stop believing in most of them.
Yet most refuse to let go of the ridiculous notion of the existence of God(s).

I would like to join the OBW project, if you want I can email you a copy of the world I'm working on... 🙂

------------------
soon to release yet
another Ferazel world

Originally posted by clam 2000:
**I would like to join the OBW project, if you want I can email you a copy of the world I'm working on...:)

Sure! Make sure you stuff it first.

------------------
Most people are swindled into believing stupid things like Santa, the Tooth Fairy, God(s), etc.

Another one recruited to the dark side, and yet it is quite clear that I possess all the knowledge in the universe! (It would be nice if this topic were closed so I don't get flammed in one side and out the other 😉 )

------------------
Dr. Tall says: Taller is Better

Originally posted by Dr Tall:
**Another one recruited to the dark side,...

The other side is evil in both side's opinion.
You call us "the dark side", and we call you "the dark side".

------------------

Dr Tall,

I found the infomation you gave very useful, but when Ferazel finished the conversation he sterted all over again. What do I do?

aschaaf_86,

I would be honoured to join OBW, I have read a tiny bit about it and it sounds great. However, I have a few questions:

1. Do you just want me to make some levels? (Somtimes they have problems)
  2. Where do I post stuff I make
  3. What is the storyline?

------------------

First off, do you have aschaaf_86's MASCOT Slight Improvement Patch. If not I would definately reccomend it. Now, I think the restart problem is caused by this: your last line should go to line 21, this will prevent Goobly-Gook which often plagues conversations.

Also, in case you didn't understand all of Dr. Tall's scientific advice, I don't 🙂 , let me try to explain in laymen's terms, being that those are the only ones I understand 🙂 :
When it perm flag is set it tells the computer something has been done; (gold taken set perm flag to 2). In a future conversation you can reference this, (if perm flag # is 2 then punish). Perm flags can also be set in conversation; after a conversation with a dying habnabit, (set perm flag # to 3). If you try to have another conversation, with the now dead habnabit it can go something like this; (if perm flag # is 3 then goto line 15). Line 15 might be something like; Ferazel: Poor -------, alas he is dead. (Go to line 21)

Also, each conversation box can only be so long, otherwise it will extend out of the box. Therefore the same person, may speak for several boxes strait, before Ferazel gets to speak. Hope this helps. Finally, the best advice I can give is thus, print out the reference guide, it will safe time and brain cells. Also, have a note book where you can write down all that your world needs, from level maps to perm flag info. Now, if I could just find where I put mine. :frown:

**I would be honoured to join OBW

Yay! Another member!
I'll e-mail you the passwords.
Read at least the last few pages of the OBW topic.
BTW, do you have PGP?

**1) Do you just want me to make some levels? (Somtimes they have problems)

Yeah.
I'll tell you which ones we need the most in the e-mail I'll send you.

If they have problems you can't fix, maybe I could try to fix them.

**2) Where do I post stuff I make

Just e-mail it to me. (BUT STUFF IT FIRST!)

**3) What is the storyline?

(url="http://"http://www.frontiernet.net/~pschaaf/obw/plot.html")http://www.frontiern...f/obw/plot.html(/url) is the plot we agreed on, but it may be changed a little bit before release.

------------------

quote:
Yay! Another member!
I'll e-mail you the passwords.
Read at least the last few pages of the OBW topic.
BTW, do you have PGP?

What is PGP?
(this is my first try to use the quote thingy, so it probably won't work.)

------------------

That plot looks mighty famliar. 🙂

**What is PGP?

It's powerfull encryption software.
Search for PGP on (url="http://"http://www.versiontracker.com")http://www.versiontracker.com(/url), or go to (url="http://"http://www.pgp.com")http://www.pgp.com(/url)

------------------