Spob Classes

How do you change the Spob classes in EV Nova? I searched the entire Spob section of the bible, Searched the weboard. Found nothing.

Nova keeps saying that there is no landing pict for stellar type for a planet in my plug-in, even though I have put a value in for one of the standerd Nova Landing pics into the Cust pict field. Then went into the game and saw that the spob was listed as a "Methane Giant". How do I change it back into a normal earth-class planet?

------------------
"English needs to be fixed!!" -My dad

Originally posted by Skyfox:
**How do you change the Spob classes in EV Nova? I searched the entire Spob section of the bible, Searched the weboard. Found nothing.

Nova keeps saying that there is no landing pict for stellar type for a planet in my plug-in, even though I have put a value in for one of the standerd Nova Landing pics into the Cust pict field. Then went into the game and saw that the spob was listed as a "Methane Giant". How do I change it back into a normal earth-class planet?

There are two fields at play here. The first is called "Graphic", and the second is the Cust pict field.

The graphic field, in reality, determines the spob's class. Look in Nova Data 5, STR#1100. Find the description that fits your planet, subtract one from the number (eg "Earth/Luna System" is number 1, so use graphic 1-1=0) and put that in the "Graphic" field. It should show up properly.

Now, let's say you want to recycle a picture from Nova, but with a new spob class. To do this, copy STR#1100 and add a new string (press command-K to add the field first), and type in your brief description, like "(Class X)", using the brackets to keep it consistent with Nova.

Next, create a new spin resource, like those found in Nova Graphics 2. Adding 999 to the field # in the STR#1100 resource, create a copy of the spin of the planet you want to "recycle".

Finally, go back to the spob resource, and put the appropriate ID in the Cust Pict field. I suggest using a number somewhat larger than 10000, to ensure compatibility with other resources and the like.

(And, having written all that for a simple change, I begin to realize why we're unlikely to see a Nova TC anytime soon.)

------------------
Attn: Moderators, Administrators, etc.
If you wish to modify this post, please delete it instead.
Thanks.

Originally posted by Una:
**There are two fields at play here. The first is called "Graphic", and the second is the Cust pict field.

The graphic field, in reality, determines the spob's class. Look in Nova Data 5, STR#1100. Find the description that fits your planet, subtract one from the number (eg "Earth/Luna System" is number 1, so use graphic 1-1=0) and put that in the "Graphic" field. It should show up properly.

Now, let's say you want to recycle a picture from Nova, but with a new spob class. To do this, copy STR#1100 and add a new string (press command-K to add the field first), and type in your brief description, like "(Class X)", using the brackets to keep it consistent with Nova.

Next, create a new spin resource, like those found in Nova Graphics 2. Adding 999 to the field # in the STR#1100 resource, create a copy of the spin of the planet you want to "recycle".

Finally, go back to the spob resource, and put the appropriate ID in the Cust Pict field. I suggest using a number somewhat larger than 10000, to ensure compatibility with other resources and the like.

(And, having written all that for a simple change, I begin to realize why we're unlikely to see a Nova TC anytime soon.)

Actually, sounds pretty much like the EVO planets...a "Class" (pointed to by the spob resource) is indexing number for standard spin, sprite, landing picture, class description (aka spob type -- a STR resource) Take Earth for instance; type 0, spin 300, sprite 2000, mask 2001, landscape 10000, spob stype STR 7000. (These are the EVO numbers)

It has nothing to do with the custom landing graphic, or the description, or the bar text, which can be customized for every individual spob of that type.

I've been replacing them completely for a (never to be finished) TC.

Unfortunatly, as far as I can determine the special text of the kind; "You can not land on X-113; the planet's atmosphere is too hostile"; is stored in the DATA resource and beyond my limited hex-editing capabilities. So much for tailoring it to certain exotic spobs ("You can not land on The Sun; you'd burn up!")

---
If this post adds nothing to the discussion, feel free to delete it. 🙂

------------------
"I know the stranger's name."
Turandot

Originally posted by Commander Arashi:
**Actually, sounds pretty much like the EVO planets...a "Class" (pointed to by the spob resource) is indexing number for standard spin, sprite, landing picture, class description (aka spob type -- a STR resource) Take Earth for instance; type 0, spin 300, sprite 2000, mask 2001, landscape 10000, spob stype STR 7000. (These are the EVO numbers)

Of course, the spin resource itself is what points to the sprite, mask, and std. landscape.

Unfortunatly, as far as I can determine the special text of the kind; "You can not land on X-113; the planet's atmosphere is too hostile"; is stored in the DATA resource and beyond my limited hex-editing capabilities. So much for tailoring it to certain exotic spobs ("You can not land on The Sun; you'd burn up!")

Originally posted by Una:
**Actually, entries 84 through 90, in STR#2002 (found in Nova Data 5) are what code these messages. You are able to change them, although (apparently) not for individual spobs.

Yet another argument for porting my TC to Nova.

------------------
"I know the stranger's name."
Turandot

Hmm, that presents kind of a pain. It means i'll have to change the spin recources a bit, but not too bad.

------------------
"English needs to be fixed!!" -My dad