Need some help here

OK, it's summer, and I have WAY too much free time on my hands, so I want to make a plug, and a total replacement plug at that. So here we go...
Problem 1) Plots. I don't have any truly wonderful ideas for a storyline or storylines (preferably many) that I can use, so anyone with ANY ideas, send them to: mr_the_kid@excite.com or post a reply.(BTW, please don't send me anything too small to play with, and don't be offended if I don/t use/tweak your idea)

Problem 2) Aesthetics. I have nil experience with graphics, I can't do sound editing, and I don't love to write stuff. Yes, I will, if pressed, but mostly I want to play with programming, I especially like trying to figure out problems, and make cool things happen with the game. So, I'm requesting people to do any or all of the above. So help me out here, even if it's "only" a couple ships or a planet, it'd be appreciated. Again, send to: mr_the_kid@excite.com or post a reply.

Thanks people, and also if you are currently making a replacement plug, write me and I'd be happy to help.

-Mr. The Kid

------------------
"I need two men."

Originally posted by Mr_The_Kid:
< snip>

Am I to assume you have made several small plugins before?

Storylines: There are some out there. You could join an existing project, if they need another coder. (though they seem to be in good supply these days ;)) or you could do a plugin about a book/movie/whatever - there are plenty of those around.

Graphics: Good luck finding someone to do them. Graphics artists are in short supply here. I got fed up with trying to get someone to do graphics for me, so I went out and learned how to do it for myself. It's not even that hard, once you grasp the concept. I would suggest going out and downloading a few demos, or searching for some topics on 3D modelers.

------------------

Well, I've made various small plug-in-type dealies, but nothing that I considered worthwhile uploading. But yes, I have some experience with EV, not specifically Nova, but I'll learn. As far as graphics go, it's not so much that I CAN'T do them, but that I have NO artistic talent, and wouldn't know how to begin creating spiffy looking ships... also, I'm really in this because I like coding, not aesthetic stuff that's better left up to someone who knows what they're doing. I could do a book/movie, but I'd still need someone to help with writing. Besides, the main problem there is that a most books/movies have one plot that would work, which I would consider boring to make a plug in of, and then a universe, which wouldn't solve my basic problem of not knowing what to do. Thanks for the input.

Mr. The Kid

------------------
"I need two men."

Problem 1) Plots. I don't have any truly wonderful ideas for a storyline or storylines (preferably many) that I can use, so anyone with ANY ideas, send them to: mr_the_kid@excite.com or post a reply.(BTW, please don't send me anything too small to play with, and don't be offended if I don/t use/tweak your idea)

No offense, but I think it is incredibly foolish to start a plugin without even having your own plot in mind. Take this example, for instance: I write long short stories or short novels. I would never start a piece of writing without having a plot in mind, and I could never understand someone else's plot thoroughly enough to write using it. Personally, I think the plot is the most important part of a TC (total conversion plugin). In fact, I once started a plugin with a brand-new plot that didn't add any graphics (because I don't know how to make them very well). Too often, I think people get caught up in the graphics side of plugin making; but seriously, if you don't even have a plot, it's gonna be hard to make a plugin. Don't just sit down and say, "I want to make a plug." Wait to make one until you have a really good plot in mind, then start hammering away at it. That's my $0.02, anyway.

------------------
Kalos.
(url="http://"http://www.wheenit.com/monkey-robot/")Monkey-Robot(/url)

Yeah, but e whole point is that I DON'T want to write it. I'm not a writer, I'm a coder. Basically, I want someone to say, "Here's what the storyline requires, make it happen". I'd join an existing plug-in team, only I do a lot better with creation than modification, so I'd rather work alone on the code. I could write basic stuff, like descriptions, but I don't have any ideas for the plot, so I can't write that.

Mr. The Kid

------------------
"I need two men."

Okay, I would use this plot but my grapics skills are less than nothing...

About five thousand years ago, the galaxy was entirely colonized by an empire (whose true name has been lost). It had an extreme amount of technological advancement, but, unfortunately, fell victim to a civil war. It was totaly destroyed except from several caches of artifacts in remote systems. (Note: tell that to the player. Actually, five emtpty systems have Ancient Empire ships in them. Please cluster the systems.) Now, two (at least) governments have arisen. While not on wonderful terms, they can get along, but participate in border skirmishes. Discovering a handful of Empire artifacts, they both try to discover what happened to the Elite branch of the Empire military...

The Empire capital ships should be massive (250 miles!) and hideously slow, with fighters that are nightmarishly fast and small. They should both have unreal sheild and armor recharge rates (like 10000). Their weapons should be: energy: short ranged, massively powerful, projectile (torpedo): extreme range, hyper fast, small warhead. You aren't supposed to be able to destroy these things.

Stories could include the capture of Empire ships, which are used to destroy and/or force a surrender from the other government. The artifacts scattered around the galaxy could make for numerous subplots, as well as cool përs's. Or you could find the lost Empire capital. This should not be visible at the start. No Empire capital ship is to be destroyed!.

I hope I see this completed!

Sorry about the double post, but you can't edit if you are unregistered.

Some other ideas:

Every ship has a reactor, every weapon uses energy. (Makes combat really interesting!)

If this is for Nova, use contribute/require to make heavier versions of some weapons (and all fighter bays) only availible to certain ships. This prevents things like a Starhawk being able to have a Starhawk bay.

Use the contribute/require feilds and multiple copies of the same government to prevent some ships, regardless of record, from landing on some planets. This is useful for "military-only" planets. 😉

As far as graphics go, it's not so much that I CAN'T do them, but that I have NO artistic talent...

3D/Computer artistic talent is entirely different from physical artistic talent.

Originally posted by Mahayana:
< snip>

Now now, if he wants to make more Vapor-ware, that's entirely his decision! 😛 😉

Originally posted by Alien Emporer:
Sorry about the double post, but you can't edit if you are unregistered.

Idea: (url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/cgi-bin/ubb/Ultimate.cgi?action=agree")Register(/url).

------------------

Originally posted by MadFax7:
**Idea: Register.

Yea, registering for the UBB is FREE. There's no reason why you can't have registered by now.

Matrix

------------------
"Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool."

I would like to register, but, being only 14, am not allowed to give out my email. Heck, I don't even know what it is. Also, this is not the computer we use or email, so Outlook Express is not configured for my server. I don't enjoy long phone talks with my ISP's tech people (I had to set up my granparent's email.) If anyone knows how to register for the ASW boards without giving your email, please let me know.

And Mr_The_Kid, I sympathize with your boredom. Greatly.

1: (url="http://"https://itools.mac.com/WebObjects/Signup.woa/11/wa/")Register(/url) for an iTools account. (you only have to be 13)
2: (url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/cgi-bin/ubb/Ultimate.cgi?action=agree")Register(/url) an account here using your new mac.com email address.

Check your new mac.com email address via the beta version of webmail, and presto! You have your account!

Or you could just ignore your ISPs terms and conditions like a normal person...

------------------

Yeah, but e whole point is that I DON'T want to write it. I'm not a writer, I'm a coder.

Then don't write a TC, write something that adds a few ships or planets.

No offense, but if you don't even have a plot, you don't really have a TC at all.

------------------
Kalos.

Or you could just ignore your ISPs terms and conditions like a normal person...

Not my ISP's conditions, my parent's. I meant that my parents won't allow me to give out my email, and it takes about an hour to set up an email program (and mine is not set up.)

Not my ISP's conditions, my parent's. I meant that my parents won't allow me to give out my email, and it takes about an hour to set up an email program (and mine is not set up.)

Ok, that answers why you don't use your ISPs email address. But there's still no reason you can't use the iTools solution. (it takes a total of about 5 minutes, and that's if you're slow, and your parents don't have to know.)

------------------

Hmmm... I don't seem to to be making much sense here. I don't want to write a plug-in, I want to CODE a plug-in. I like the Nova engine, and I'd like to do something interesting to take advantage of it. I want to make a TC because, imho, additions are a little boring. At least for me, I don't like playing additions much because the thing I like about EV is the exploration and storyline. So I don't want to just make a few little additions or outfits or whatever, because it doesn't do anything for me. What I want is someone or someones with a storyline who will write it out and let me code it into a plug-in. Graphics I might be able to do, but would prefer not to have to. I'm downloading an Infini-d demo as I write, and I'll start playing with that, but I don't have any experience, so I'd like to find someone who does. I wasn't really clear in my first post; I don't want an idea, I want a writer. I can write basic descs, but not storylines. What I meant by plots was not for someone to hand me an idea and walk away, but to have an idea and work with me to make a plug-in. And by now I've said the same thing how many times...? Anyways, hope that clears things up, and I'm gonna stop rambling now.

Mr. The Kid

------------------
"I need two men."

Just get an address like mail.com or something, and I think you can set it to forward emails... I can't remember.

Matrix

------------------

Originally posted by what_is_the_matrix:
Just get an address like mail.com or something, and I think you can set it to forward emails... I can't remember.

Not reading the preceeding posts carefully enough are we? 😛 😉

Anywho, I think he was trying to avoid setting up his email app. So forwarding would not help. 😉

That reminds me - how can it take you an hour to set up an email app?!?

------------------

Originally posted by MadFax7:
**Not reading the preceeding posts carefully enough are we?:p 😉

Anywho, I think he was trying to avoid setting up his email app. So forwarding would not help. 😉

That reminds me - how can it take you an hour to set up an email app?!?

No, I was reading the posts, but I was just saying that he could use mail.com (or whatever) and not tell his parents, and if he ever does get his email app set up, the forwarding from the free account would avoid problems. Besides, free programs can be used anywhere, and you don't have to use your real address, so it's pretty hard to trace to you.

Matrix

------------------

Just use a web-based email address, then, for you registration.

And how does it take an hour to set up your email program? Seriously, I can set up a new account in MS Outlook in under two minutes, easy.

------------------
Kalos.

Originally posted by what_is_the_matrix:
...but I was just saying that he could use mail.com (or whatever) and not tell his parents, and if he ever does get his email app set up, the forwarding from the free account would avoid problems. Besides, free programs can be used anywhere, and you don't have to use your real address, so it's pretty hard to trace to you.

I was merely pointing out that I had already said the same thing. 😉

------------------