Sprite Size Question

I'm making a plug-in (EVO) with ships using a strictly top-down view, so all the sprites are x by x. My question is, what's the largest size people've been able to get, x by x, without problems like the swiss-cheese effect?

From plug-ins, I've seen 16x16 to 96x96, with the exception of 88x88 which I've known before to be unstable or something. I've also seen 120x120. However, everything larger than that that I've seen has been a rectangular sprite, like 152x144, or something like that. Has anyone gotten anything larger to work with a square sprite? I know I've had problems with 136x136. I've also had problems with 96x96, but other ships have used that, so I'm assuming that's not the problem.

Well, thanks to anyone who has some useful figures.

------------------
Mike Lee (Firebird)

While I'm on the topic, I have a 96x96 ship sprite that refuses to work. I get fuzzy lines across the thing when I'm in the 10 degrees counter-clockwise position. I've checked the color tables and mask and everything, and it all seems to be fine; anyone have any ideas? (I brought this up before, but unfortunately, I didn't get anything out of that post that really worked)

------------------
Mike Lee (Firebird)

Is it multiples of eight, or is it exponents of 2? You might want to check that....

Matrix

------------------
"Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool."

Override uses everything between 16x16 and 96x96 except 88x88. The Bible says specifically multiples of 8, don't think I'm that stupid.

------------------
Mike Lee (Firebird)