Kamikaze fighters

How do you make kamikaze fighters in EVN? AmmoType -999 doesn't work, and putting a big blast radius doesn't either!

------------------
-signature in
development stage;
please wait-

Just make a weapon with a projectile that has the same graphic as a ship. This was actually done with the 'Crazy!' plug-in for EV original.

Yes... But is there any other way, using a real ship?

------------------
-signature in
development stage;
please wait-

I had an idea that I haven't been able to test out yet, but which might work, I dunno. Make a copy of the Hellhound missile, put it in your plug, then make your fighter go at the same speed as the missile. Change the stats of your missile to have a very short range, thus making the fighter have to shoot it really close. Then fire your fighter, watch him get close and KABOOM!
Use a Hellhound missile because the explosions can kill fighters instantly. And for testing purposes, you should use a Fed Viper for the fighter.

------------------
Intelligent doesn't meant smart. It means genius.
Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to getcha...

It doesn't matter what ship you use, all you need is a weapon that has an EXTREMELY short range (and doesn't explode at the end of its range), and an EXTREMELY large blast radius. You need the short range or else the fighter will start firing from a distance. Remember the space bombs from EV? If you dropped it from say a bulk freighter, it would kill you too. Since the AI doesn't handle bomb type weapons well, just make it an unguided projectile. When the fighter goes to shoot at its target, it catches itself in its own blast.

Matrix

------------------
"Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool."

I bet I could make it work. The only problem is, is that I don't have the necessary resource and even if I did, my Nova is still a shareware version. So untill I pay the shareware, I won't be able to test out the kamikaze fighters.

Nonetheless, I could still make it work, how do you think I made the Kamikaze Drone 1.1 work for EVO?

------------------
Nosumus Fortiolis Quad Volimus

Originally posted by Coraxus:
**I bet I could make it work. The only problem is, is that I don't have the necessary resource and even if I did, my Nova is still a shareware version. So untill I pay the shareware, I won't be able to test out the kamikaze fighters.

Nonetheless, I could still make it work, how do you think I made the Kamikaze Drone 1.1 work for EVO?

Not true, you can wite it and then copy and paste it inot your original data files, i have pointed out this glaring securtiy flaw to the moderators, but unitll they sort it out.....

By the way registering would be a very good idea, makes it a lot easier

------------------
Beware of monkeys bearing pins,

Coz the grenade is never far behind

Or you could just go for a weak ship, a weap that has just enof damage to kill it, and give the fighter a huge Mass, 10000 tonnes is enof to make a leviathon sized blast.......

Muwahahahaha.......

------------------
Beware of monkeys bearing pins,

Coz the grenade is never far behind

Originally posted by A J Bob:
**Or you could just go for a weak ship, a weap that has just enof damage to kill it, and give the fighter a huge Mass, 10000 tonnes is enof to make a leviathon sized blast.......

Muwahahahaha.......

Theory is one thing and practise is another. I've found the AI very cagy about shooting anything it doesn't think will work. Anyone care to post the stats on a self-destroying fighter that actually worked? I for one would like to have that as a base for further experimentation.

------------------
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

A Leviathan's best defense is the fact that it's essentially a nuclear bomb waiting to go off.

**Not true, you can wite it and then copy and paste it inot your original data files, i have pointed out this glaring securtiy flaw to the moderators, but unitll they sort it out.....

By the way registering would be a very good idea, makes it a lot easier

Have you tried this? Haven't tested it either; My copy is registered at anyrate, but I was under the impresion that the data files were checksum'd and verified whenever you launched Nova and that it wouldn't let you run if they had been changed. Think I'll try a kamakazi shuttle soon though, to go with the shuttle gun and shuttle bays...

------------------
----(ClosetPacifist)----
Let the artists be immortal.
If any parts of the above message did not make sense, please ignore them. Thank you, and have a nice day.
"Mr. Napkin flies like a plane. Mr. Napkin eats cellophane. Mr. Napkin... Mr. Napkin..."

Originally posted by ClosetPacifist:
**Have you tried this? Haven't tested it either; My copy is registered at anyrate, but I was under the impresion that the data files were checksum'd and verified whenever you launched Nova and that it wouldn't let you run if they had been changed. Think I'll try a kamakazi shuttle soon though, to go with the shuttle gun and shuttle bays...

They're checksum'd. You can however mess with the shans, rleds, and rle8s in the graphics files, but the other stuff is checksum'd.

I really wish people around here would test things out first more instead of just shooting off their mouths. If you suggest something but you don't know that it works, mostly you're just wasting everyone's time.

None of these work.
None.
Setting a weapon with a big blast radius NEVER damage the ship that fired it - whether the weapon has the "blast doesn't hurt" flag set or not- however, it can destroy another kamikaze drone, but not the one that shot.
Any other ideas?
😕

------------------
-signature in
development stage;
please wait-

I'm having limited success with some for an EVO plug-in I'm working on - give them one hugely dangerous unguided projectile with a slightly greater speed than the ship (so the AI actually fires it), and set the range to something like 300-400 pixels, blast radius >1000. Give the ship armour but no shields. I don't know, however, if this would work in Nova. The AI is smarter, but the same concepts might work.

------------------
Gage Stryker,
Purveyor of missing links.
This post is subject to all the protections and benifits of the posting code
It's coming - (url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/gage_stryker/Visible_Menace/index.html")Visible Menace for EVO!(/url) Current as of 05/04/02 | | v 0.3.3 | | 22.3 MB | | 46% to Beta

the missile-that-looks-like-a-ship is the only method ive seen work. i haven't tried these others, though

**Or you could just go for a weak ship, a weap that has just enof damage to kill it, and give the fighter a huge Mass, 10000 tonnes is enof to make a leviathon sized blast.......

Having that much mass would make the fighter behave weird. Specifically in that if it got hit, it wouldn't be very reactive to it. No, just having an absurd amount of damage on a weapon would do fine...

Matrix

------------------
"Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool."

(This message has been edited by what_is_the_matrix (edited 05-05-2002).)

Having a rediculously massed fighter would also kill you before it did anything to the enemy. I think that a blaster-type weapon with unlimited ammo would be best. Wait a seconed and I'll try to make one work.

(edit: right. when I say seconed, I mean day or two./edit)
------------------
I am ME hear me roar!
Meeoowwwww

(This message has been edited by Meaker VI (edited 05-06-2002).)

Hrm... This is starting to get annoying.... I'll keep working on it tonight. Do you guys still want khamikazi fighters or what? If you figured it out, then please tell/send me what you did.

------------------
I am ME hear me roar!
Meeoowwwww

Hmmm.... Well, I made fighters that have a weapon that will kill any swarmed ones of them. They die if they are alone anyway. I seek advise, anyone that wants this thing post a message to me.
(edit : Changed my mind, don't contact me, post. /edit)
------------------
I am ME hear me roar!
Meeoowwwww

(This message has been edited by Meaker VI (edited 05-08-2002).)

Originally posted by AGDenton:
**None of these work.
None.
Setting a weapon with a big blast radius NEVER damage the ship that fired it - whether the weapon has the "blast doesn't hurt" flag set or not- however, it can destroy another kamikaze drone, but not the one that shot.
Any other ideas?
😕

Not true. Making a weapon have a huge blast radious does work, just not on computers.( I lost many khamikazi fighters trying to figure that out.)
Making them swarm seemed to work, and about the computer being edgie about non-working weapons.....making them primary seems to help.....

------------------
I am ME hear me roar!
Meeoowwwww