Unregistered and have a question? Post here.

Aha. Thanks. Didn't have Novatools before.

bows

you know how to install and stuff?

and Hiro: I believe there is a HTML version of the nova bible somewhere on this site, so you can check it with your web browser... I just dont know where it is...

Originally posted by David Arthur:
**Did you create a new pilot file after you added the përs resource? The EV games only show përs ships that were in existence when your pilot file was created; all other përs IDs are marked as 'dead' so that the game doesn't try to create ships that don't exist.

Thank you so much!

I'll try this as soon as I'm offline, but it sounds good.

Is there a place where these little caveats are written down? I didn't spot that in the EV:N bible (which is best read using BBEdit Lite, a free download, for the guy that posted about it).

I recall that in the old days, when I was making the great unfinished TC plug for EV, there were several documents detailing things like this. Do they exist for EV:N? The foolproof guide to adding ships and outfits were good, as I recall, and really detailed obscuria like STR resIDs (beyond the brief outline given at the end of the bible).

Some useful ones are included with the Resorceror Annotated EVN Templates; the address was posted on this board about a week ago in a topic about the above.

------------------
"A taco is merely a rigid, deformed tortilla."
- Thomas Castiglione
"There will be MUCH CRUSHING!"
- Pink

Originally posted by Gul Banana:
**Some useful ones are included with the Resorceror Annotated EVN Templates; the address was posted on this board about a week ago in a topic about the above.

For those of us without Resourcerer, and who are unlikely to ever pay for it, those annotated templates aren't much good, sadly. Still, I'll go and download them and see if I can pick them apart for any info of value.

New question:

Can EV:N do one-way missions. An example might be a mission to take an object from A to B. Would it just be a returnStel of -1, or would that get the player to return to a completely random system?

My plug-in's coming along nicely, by the way. Now that I know that my përs resources can work, I'm on my way! It's got about 50 systems, an alien race, big-time planetary conquest by an unstoppable advancing fleet and a surprising conclusion. Also, you can choose to resist or assist, but you'd better be prepared to make enemies - there's no fence sitting!

A final question, which I can't see an easy answer to:

Can a ship be made especially vulnerable to a particular weapon without that weapon having the same affect on other ships? A fantasy example might be a sword +2 vs Fools. It does double damage to Fools, but normal damage to everyone else. Can a similar thing be done in EV:N terms? I've been looking at ships, weapons and governments, but I can't see a way to support this in EV:N. Can anyone see a way to do this? It'd be great for a special weapon that could (for example) be used against advancing alien ships but have little effect (and therefore little previously recognised value) on 'normal' ships.

I'm new to the plug in thing, and I need to know how you make the briefings that show up before you accept the mission. Like when you walk into the spaceport bar and somone greets you, and tells you about a mission and if you want to accept. I know its probably the easiest thing there, but I can't figure out how.

I am the maker of Music Contents, Ships Galore, Strand Vessels, and UE Navy. I don't get it, why is the stupid download not working? All I get is this crappy generic application format that I open which gives me a -39 Error crap message. I downloaded all the compression program Ambrosia suggest and following their guidlines. Am doing something wrong or what?

Originally posted by Hiro_Protagonist:
**But it's too FRIGGIN' HUGE for SimpleText to open. WHAT DO I DO? WHAT DO I DO? For God's sake I can't live like this!

You can try Tex-Edit. Search VersionTracker for it. It's been the only word processor I've used for years.

Originally posted by Gary Patterson:
**New question:

Can EV:N do one-way missions. An example might be a mission to take an object from A to B. Would it just be a returnStel of -1, or would that get the player to return to a completely random system?

This is possible. I believe it's accomplished by setting the returnStel to -1 and setting the cargo pickup (if there's cargo) to the current stellar.

--Nathan

In the shďp resource, there's an OnPurchase set expression, and an OnCapture set expression. My question is, if you capture a ship and elect to use it as your own ship, is the OnPurchase expression evaluated? I hope it is, as it would be quite handy for me. 🙂

--Nathan

I'd like to take this opportunity to recruit some playtesters for a plug I put together. The plug's name is "Freighter->Capital Ship Refits, beta 1." I believe I've squashed all the bugs, but more eyes are always helpful in that endeavor. Also, I want to know if the balance of the new outfits is good or if it needs tweaking. The plug can be downloaded at (url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/mrlothario/.cv/mrlothario/Public/F->CSRefitsb1.sit-binhex.hqx")http://homepage.mac.....sit-binhex.hqx(/url)
(Sorry about that URL. Heh.)

Feel free to e-mail me at mr.lothario( a t )cox.net.

Thanks,
--Nathan

What's with the length stats for ships? They're meaningless they don't seem to have any effect on the game and they are really wierd. eg an auroran carrier is 1200 meters long and a thunderhead is 12 meters long, you would think that the shän recorce for the carrier would be 100 times the size of the thunderhead but the carrier has a sprite that is 184 pixels long and the thunderhead has a sprite that is 48 pixels long. This happens with almost every ship ie the big ships aren't big enough and the little ships aren't small enough.

Originally posted by The McStriker Burger:
What's with the length stats for ships?

Burch-sama didn't use the length for any calculations, but left it in because it adds a little flavor to the game. I believe he mentions this in the Bible. And as far as the sizes being wrong, I know what you mean. However, it's a gameplay thing. Making properly-scaled sprites would require either big ships that occupied most of the screen or small ships that were virtual flyspecks. Neither would be very satisfactory in terms of playability, so the realism was somewhat... abridged. :🤷: It happens. The game is better for it, and besides, what'cha gonna do? 🙂

--Nathan

Originally posted by Mr. Lothario:
In the shďp resource, there's an OnPurchase set expression, and an OnCapture set expression. My question is, if you capture a ship and elect to use it as your own ship, is the OnPurchase expression evaluated?

Upon further testing, the answer to my question is "no." OnPurchase is only evaluated when you actually buy a ship from the shipyard.

--Nathan

oh, and is there a way to extract the original ship graphics from the data files? I really need to do that

NovaTools. Use DeRLE on the various NovaShip and NovaGraphics files. Be sure to allocate a lot of memory to DeRLE if you want to get all the ships. This extracts them into ResEdit files, which you can grab the PICT files from.

------------------

DeRLE?

oh, never mind... found it, thanx 🙂

Anybody tried the Freighter->Capital Ship plug yet? I'm eager to find out what players think of it. : ) Here's the link, in the interest of completeness: (url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/mrlothario/.cv/mrlothario/Public/F->CSRefitsb1.sit-binhex.hqx")http://homepage.mac.....sit-binhex.hqx(/url)
Thanks for your input.

--Nathan

Originally posted by David Arthur:
Again, it should work, although given the answer to your first question, it wouldn't do much good.

Confirmation: I've tried it and it worked, however, you can get "sucked in to it" because you need to land as David Arthur said.

------------------
patrick...
My e-mail: (url="http://"mailto:patrick_1@mac.com")mailto:patrick_1@mac.com(/url)patrick_1@mac.com