Good 3D software that's less expensive than, say, Lightwave?

Originally posted by Commander Arashi:
BTW, both 3D and 4.0 are "Fat" and should run on an iMac. I suspect an extensions problem.

It's not quite that simple: The problem persists even under a basic extension set. It's a rather strange business altogether, because both programs start up just fine after a long period of non-use, and I get some project started only to find that when I try to continue the next day, both programs freeze on the "loading modules" stage of starting up. I don't recall this happening before I updated to Mac OS 9.2, but I could be wrong and it could have something to do with QT 5. Frankly, I don't want to freeze my computer a whole lot to find out, as the hard drive scanning, even though I can put it off, takes a really really long time on my almost full drive.

------------------
Non cognosco quo modo dicere linguam latinam bene.

(This message has been edited by LoneIgadzra (edited 04-15-2002).)

Originally posted by LoneIgadzra:
**It's not quite that simple: The problem persists even under a basic extension set. It's a rather strange business altogether, because both programs start up just fine after a long period of non-use, and I get some project started only to find that when I try to continue the next day, both programs freeze on the "loading modules" stage of starting up. I don't recall this happening before I updated to Mac OS 9.2, but I could be wrong and it could have something to do with QT 5. Frankly, I don't want to freeze my computer a whole lot to find out, as the hard drive scanning, even though I can put it off, takes a really really long time on my almost full drive.

"Almost full drive"? As I recall, Ray Dream uses a large hunk of both the boot drive and a user-assigned drive as scratch disks. Perhaps its drive management/memory mangement is not compatible with OS9 +

------------------
You see a Grue.

To toss my $0.02 of generic Mac troubleshooting advice into the ring: try deleting the preferences for the app. Corrupt preference files are pretty easy to come by, and can cause some really weird problems. Zapping the PRAM and rebuilding the desktop are good maintenance in general, and are worth trying when a strange problem has your goat.

--Nathan