Help w/ Editing Nova Outf

I'm quite new to all this editing business, so this may seem a foolish question, but I've become desperate for an answer.

I'm trying to make a few outfits available for purchase anywhere by editing the Nova Data File 4, I was able to do this in previous games with ResEdit by setting Tech Levels to 1 and inserting a "-1" in the MissionBit area. However, with the inclusion of the amazing NovaTools Templates to ResEdit, I am unable to replicate this feat in the current incarnation of EV. One of the particular outfits I'm seeking to enable everywhere is the Shield Buffer. I was able to get it to appear by unchecking the box "Show Only if True" next to the Availabilty heading, but the item was still unpurchasable. I tried switching the availabilty code with an item I new to be purchasable, but that just seemed to corrupt the outf system of the game.

Any clues on what I'm missing?

------------------
Apply When Wet

Putting nothing whatsoever in the mission bit area would be better than -1, in Nova.

------------------
"A taco is merely a rigid, deformed tortilla."
- Thomas Castiglione
"There will be MUCH CRUSHING!"
- Pink

Take out everything in the Availability field and uncheck all the Require checkboxes. Look around for anything else that might be causing it and reverse that, too.

------------------
The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason Ń Wizard's Sixth Rule, Faith of the Fallen.
Ń Cafall

A safer way to do it (that is, a way which is less likely to have catastrophic consequences during the plotline) is to duplicate the shield buffer's outfit resource and renumber it, then on that copy, remove the various dependencies and ncb protection.

--Nathan

Thank you, I shall be sure to put this advice to the best use I can.

------------------
Apply When Wet

You fools! He'll use it to destroy us all!

------------------
"A taco is merely a rigid, deformed tortilla."
- Thomas Castiglione
"There will be MUCH CRUSHING!"
- Pink

Also ensure the 'avail to govt' bits are not set, those can make it unavailable for you. Also make sure the chance to display is something higher than zero (probably 100 for your purposes).

There are some neat outfs I never saw in the game (after doing 4/6 of the plot lines), but many are excluded because of the above items, changing a planets tech level and the ncb bits only displays about half of them.