Converting EV plugs to EVO?

On the EVN board there was a mention of Ralph's program-in-development, Port Authority, that'll allow porting of EV and EVO resources to EVN.

I was wondering if anyone has made something like that to port from EV to EVO and if it works, since I've heard that EVOlution (which comes with EV-Edit) is buggy, if not problematic.

------------------
Mike Lee (Firebird)

Theoretically, you could just change the type and creator fields of a plugin to the new format, and it would work, but it'd be buggy.

With a little more work, you could clean out the bugs.

I don't know of any other apps, but I've never had any issues with EVOlution.

Anatole.

------------------
Not all angels have halos. - QW12

Originally posted by Anatole:
Theoretically, you could just change the type and creator fields of a plugin to the new format, and it would work, but it'd be buggy.

Actually, this is all that EVOlution does anyway. I think TFH was ported to EVO with a similar method. It's less buggy than you think - just remember to change your homing flags. Since everything else comes afterwards in the data files, it just gets zeroed, and EVO usually manages to handle 0 values gracefully.

-reg

------------------
"Oh crap. I'm going to hell - I put the Bible next to Mein Kampf again."
-Her Holiness, Pope Jenne "Kirby" Hubbs

What about to Nova?

-Nat

------------------
Lequis Design
lequis.netfirms.com
PhantoM_63ff@hotmail.com

Originally posted by Lequis MX:
**What about to Nova?

-Nat

Ralph is making an app called "Port Authority" that'll handle porting EV and EVO plug-ins to Nova -- smoothly.

------------------
Mike Lee (Firebird)

Originally posted by Firebird:
**Ralph is making an app called "Port Authority" that'll handle porting EV and EVO plug-ins to Nova -- smoothly.

My ResEdit will certainly get lonely after that comes out. It should be much easier to muck around will all the new flags.

Starfish:
My ResEdit will certainly get lonely after that comes out. It should be much easier to muck around will all the new flags.

A) w00tTools runs inside of ResEdit.
🆒 Yes, it will.

Regulus:
It's less buggy than you think - just remember to change your homing flags. Since everything else comes afterwards in the data files, it just gets zeroed, and EVO usually manages to handle 0 values gracefully.

I think you mean 'seeker' flags 😛
And it only 'usually' handles those 0's well, which is why I'd recommend briefly testing anything you do this to just to make sure it works right; It'll save you much fustration further down the line.

Anatole.

------------------
Not all angels have halos. - QW12

Originally posted by Anatole:
I think you mean 'seeker' flags

Seeker flags refer to that section of the weap resource. Missile jammers also need to be adjusted.

-reg

------------------
"Oh crap. I'm going to hell - I put the Bible next to Mein Kampf again."
-Her Holiness, Pope Jenne "Kirby" Hubbs

Okay, so let me get this straight -- to convert a plug-in from EV to EVO, all you have to do is change the creator codes and seeker flags (in govt, outf, weap, and ship)?

That's pretty cool. Only problem is, if I did this, nobody'd play it because of Nova, so I might as well do it for that.

------------------
Mike Lee (Firebird)

Don't forget those other nifty EVO features, if you want:

• (ship stuff) adding the "I use afterburners if advanced" to practically every
    ship in the game. This makes pirates... oh, so much more fun at higher
    combat ratings. Not to mention, combat between the 'feds and rebels in general.
  • (weapon stuff) adding smoke trails to missiles, rockets (javelins if you wish).
    The glowing torpedos don't lend themselves to trails much. Also up to
    you is the option to add "detonates at the end of its life" flag to those munitions
    with sizable blast radii.