HELP! BIG ResEdit Problems

2 Problems with ResEdit
1-how do I add shipyard pics comm pics target pics and icons. There's no thing in the ship resource telling which image to use.
2-how do I use flags (the things with all the $s)
Help me ore my plugin will perish :p.

------------------
I may only lead a trade fleet but attack my transporters and feel the power of my mighty ship!

Download FormulaCalc.

(url="http://"http://www.oden.se/~poliruir/ev")http://www.oden.se/~poliruir/ev(/url)

Heh.

-Nat

------------------
Lequis Design
lequis.netfirms.com
PhantoM_63ff@hotmail.com

Damn. The link doesn't work. I think its in the Utilities section.

-Nat

------------------
Lequis Design
lequis.netfirms.com
PhantoM_63ff@hotmail.com

(quote)Originally posted by Trader:
**2 Problems with ResEdit
1-how do I add shipyard pics comm pics target pics and icons. There's no thing in the ship resource telling which image to use.
2-how do I use flags (the things with all the $s)
Help me ore my plugin will perish 😄

1- The ID# of the ship resource tells EV which PICT resources to use, so it's up to you to assign the correct ID to each PICT associated with the ship. Pontus Ilbring's 'EVO Formula Calc' is one of the essential plug-in developing tools, it can be found at
(url="http://"http://members.chello.se/warlordpontus/ev/")http://members.chell...rlordpontus/ev/(/url)

Formula Calc computes the correct ID numbers for all resources for ships, outfts, spobs, etc.

2- Flags are somewhat tricky since they are in hexadecimal. There is a good explanation in the EV Bible Annotated Edition (or the EVO version ) which is well worth having for many other reasons. It should be in the Guides section of the archives.

------------------
Joe Burnette
"I find that humans can be divided into only two meaningful categories: Decent Humans and Sonsofbitches; both types appear to be evenly distributed
among all shapes, colors, sizes, and nationalities." -- Keith Laumer

The flags are a little difficult, you just have to remember how to count in hexideimal.
0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F
F represents 15. If you need a value larger than that, carry as in base 10. For example, 21 in hexidecimal is
15 (1 group of 16 plus 5). Why do they use hexidecimal? Because it's shorthand for binary - really easy to convert. For example, the above is 00010101 in binary. If I had to convert 21 directly, it would cause me a huge headache. Especially big numbers. I can't convert 18473 easily, but here's 4E582CC27
(Hopefully someone can verify me on that - that's off the top of my head)

------------------
Gage Stryker
---------------
It's coming - Visible Menace for EVO! Current as of 03/08/02 | | v 0.2.3 | | 9.2 MB | | 34% to Beta
gage2stryker@yahoo.ca

Originally posted by Gage_Stryker:
**The flags are a little difficult, you just have to remember how to count in hexideimal.
0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F
F represents 15. If you need a value larger than that, carry as in base 10. For example, 21 in hexidecimal is
15 (1 group of 16 plus 5). Why do they use hexidecimal? Because it's shorthand for binary - really easy to convert. For example, the above is 00010101 in binary. If I had to convert 21 directly, it would cause me a huge headache. Especially big numbers. I can't convert 18473 easily, but here's 4E582CC27
(Hopefully someone can verify me on that - that's off the top of my head)

Yah, but 90% of the tags you don't even have to add, much less carry. Most of them are columb-specific and you can treat it like a row of empty slots to be filled in.

(Now, try calculating a hexadecimal checksum -- which you need to write your own "System Exclusive" messages to a piece of MIDI gear. Nasty).

------------------
everywhere else, it's --
"Nomuse"

this isnt really relevant to the conversation, but since ambrosia isnt allowing new registrants to the board, nor will they allow guests to make new posts..i figure this is the best recent post to put this in:

im using os 10.1.3 and i cant get evo dev map to work at all. When i boot into 9.2 it works fine, but when i try to use EVoDM in the classic interface it loads the program and within half a second quits. This is the only program i have this problem with, except for an occasional occurence in shipwrite. All the alias files are set up correctly.... id be extremely appreciative if anyone could help me

Originally posted by KlngArthur:
im using os 10.1.3 and i cant get evo dev map to work at all...**

Seems like the simplest solution is to boot into 9.2 when you want to use EVO Devmap.

Since that is obviously not the solution you are looking for, I suggest you write to Pontus and ask if he has any suggestions or if he plans to write a OSX-compatible version.

------------------
Joe Burnette
"I find that humans can be divided into only two meaningful categories: Decent Humans and Sonsofbitches; both types appear to be evenly distributed

good idea

Well I'll give an example because those arn't the answers I was looking for. The EVO bible always says in the flags section 0x0001 or 0x0008 or something. So lets say a flag was 0x0001 how do I write that. Do I just write 0001 in the flags section or what?

------------------
I may only lead a trade fleet but attack my transporters and feel the power of my mighty ship!

Originally posted by Trader:
**Do I just write 0001 in the flags section or what?

Yes.

At least, if you only want to set a single flag; otherwise you have to add the values of the different flags.
------------------
Joe Burnette

(This message has been edited by Joe Burnette (edited 03-09-2002).)

**Well I'll give an example because those arn't the answers I was looking for. The EVO bible always says in the flags section 0x0001 or 0x0008 or something. So lets say a flag was 0x0001 how do I write that. Do I just write 0001 in the flags section or what?

I think it would be written as $0001 if I remember correctly, but I haven't worked with ResEdit much lately so I could be wrong.

------------------
~ M A H A Y A N A ~

Thanks. But whats that have to do with hexidecimals? Do I add them in hexidecimals?

------------------

**Thanks. But whats that have to do with hexidecimals? Do I add them in hexidecimals?

RTFM.

In this case the EV Bible Annotated Edition (there are several sources in the archives here that contain the same basic information, including the EVO Bible Annotated Edition and the ResEdit Beginners' Guide ) has the following information on flags:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
•Appendix: Hexadecimal Flags

Flags are stored Hexidecimally. First of all, figure out what characteristics you want a given thing to possess, and look up what flag values are assigned to those characteristics.

Example for a spöb:

Spob characteristics Flag value
Can lan/dock here 0x00000001
Has commodity exchange 0x00000002
Can outfit ship here 0x00000004
Can buy ships here 0x00000008
Low Food prices 0x10000000
High medical prices 0x00400000

To add hexidecimals, add the numbers in the each column normally, except that you don't carry values higher than 9. Rather, letters are used to represent digits higher than 9:
10 = A 11 = B 12 = C 13 = D 14 = E 15 = F
So, in the example, the value in the flags field should be: 0140000F
(Incidentally, Resedit will want it like this: $0140000F.)

Remember that any single column has a maximum value of 15, not 9. If you find a value greater than 15, check your addition, and that you added the right columns.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Note that you do not have to enter the "$" in the field, just enter the numbers and ResEdit will add the symbol.

If that doesn't answer your questions, ask again and someone will try to explain further.

------------------
Joe Burnette

Thanks ;)! I'll get back to work on my plug now.

-Trader

------------------

Has anyone ever had Resedit crash (in 9.2.2) after trying to save certain large plugin files? It seems to me like a corrupted resource or something, though I'm not sure.

I have crashes opening large picts. Have you realized ResEdit only has 500-1000k for a standard memory? I increased it and it ran fine.

-Trader

------------------

Starfish:
Has anyone ever had Resedit crash (in 9.2.2) after trying to save certain large plugin files? It seems to me like a corrupted resource or something, though I'm not sure.

Well, ResEdit crashing could induce resource corruption, due to the way ResEdit handles the resources and saving.

Anatole.

------------------
Not all angels have halos. - QW12

Originally posted by Anatole:
**Well, ResEdit crashing could induce resource corruption, due to the way ResEdit handles the resources and saving.

Anatole.

Reboot, and rebuild the desktop.

------------------
everywhere else, it's --
"Nomuse"