ResEdit woes!

I am having some trouble with ResEdit. It freezes often when I try to save changes to my plug-in, and crashes when I try to open up large PICT resources (800x800 pixels). I already have alocated 120 MB of RAM, so I know that's not the problem, does anyone know what it could be?

On another related topic, does anyone know the largest single-cell sprite size (on a 6x6) that EVO will accept? I wanted to create a 148x148 ship, but I don't know if this is possible.

------------------
Gage Stryker
---------------
It's coming - Visible Menace for EVO! Current as of 02/26/02 | | v 0.1.6 | | 8.1 MB | | 30% to Beta
gage2stryker@yahoo.ca

Originally posted by Gage_Stryker:
**I am having some trouble with ResEdit. It freezes often when I try to save changes to my plug-in, and crashes when I try to open up large PICT resources (800x800 pixels). I already have alocated 120 MB of RAM, so I know that's not the problem, does anyone know what it could be?

On another related topic, does anyone know the largest single-cell sprite size (on a 6x6) that EVO will accept? I wanted to create a 148x148 ship, but I don't know if this is possible.

800x800 PICTs? That's at least part of your problem. I don't know the maximum size PICT ResEdit can deal with, but that is far too large to serve any practical purpose in EV.

If ResEdit is crashing when you try to save, you probably have too many resources in your plug-in file. 2727 is the maximum number of resources that ResEdit will allow in a single file.

Maximum sprie size is 640x480 but of course that is far too large for any ship. Sprite dimensions must be a multiple of 8, so try 144x144 or 152x152 for your ship.

------------------
Joe Burnette
"I find that humans can be divided into only two meaningful categories: Decent Humans and Sonsofbitches; both types appear to be evenly distributed
among all shapes, colors, sizes, and nationalities." -- Keith Laumer

EV/O's supposed theoretical maximum sprite size (for a ship) was 200x200 pixels, but I determined the true maximum to be 176 pixels a few years back while working on a graphics "enhancer" for Skyhawk's Final Battle. Anything above 176 and it would jam on loading.

This changed for EVO 1.0.2, evidently, although I have no firsthand experience. Weepul has reportedly had success with sprites as large as 480 pixels for ships, and others have demonstrated spobs in excess of 1000 pixels in size.

I won't vouch for your frame rates if you try anything too big, though, and keep in mind that every megabyte of image data in your plugin has to get loaded into RAM at startup.

-reg

------------------
"Oh crap. I'm going to hell - I put the Bible next to Mein Kampf again."
-Her Holiness, Pope Jenne "Kirby" Hubbs

Please also note that the number 2727 isn't a restriction from ResEdit, but the way the Mac OS handles resource forks. The Macintosh file system, wether HFS or HFS+, does not allow for more than 2727 resources in any one file. Try breaking your plug up into several bits and saving again.

Anatole.

------------------
Not all angels have halos. - QW12

Originally posted by Joe Burnette:
Maximum sprie size is 640x480 but of course that is far too large for any ship. Sprite dimensions must be a multiple of 8, so try 144x144 or 152x152 for your ship.

actually, 640x480 is the maximum size for the whole thing, not any one frame. this means that, if you're going for 6x6, you can only have frames with size a multiple of 8 and less than 106x80 (i.e. 104x80 or smaller)

------------------
if you find yourself in bed with a raving lunatic, don't worry: looks can be deceiving, it's probably not me

Sprite dimension must be a multiple of eight? I heard four before. EVO runs fine with my 148x148 ship. I have already divided the plug-in into two parts, and it works much better now. Although the data is only 252K, it frees up some resouces that were being used by PICTs and spďns. The law about opening anything larger than 640x480 also holds up, although you can include something larger, as I did, just don't try viewing it in it's entirety with ResEdit. I wish.

Thanks for all your help - my plug-in is now developing the murphy effect - the more things there are, the more things that can go wrong. Unfortunately, errors tend to increase exponentially, not in a linear fashion.

------------------
Gage Stryker
---------------
It's coming - Visible Menace for EVO! Current as of 02/26/02 | | v 0.1.6 | | 8.1 MB | | 30% to Beta
gage2stryker@yahoo.ca

Bah. Galaxy's Edge, the Quasar, was like...I dunno, it was surely above 200x200 though. Except I have a ship that's going to be bigger than the Quasar. Or maybe not, if it doesn't work...

I've never had problems with ResEdit like this..Hm..

-Nat

------------------
Lequis Design
lequis.netfirms.com
PhantoM_63ff@hotmail.com

I am having some trouble with ResEdit. It freezes often when I try to save changes to my plug-in, and crashes when I try to open up large PICT resources (800x800 pixels). I already have alocated 120 MB of RAM, so I know that's not the problem, does anyone know what it could be?

Strange, I have no problem opening PICT resources in ResEdit several thousand pixels high and wide. If you don't already have it, try getting ResEdit 2.1.3. I doubt it will do anything, but it's worth shot anyway.

See below...

800x800 PICTs? That's at least part of your problem. I don't know the maximum size PICT ResEdit can deal with, but that is far too large to serve any practical purpose in EV.

What about large Nebulas? The North Tip Belt in EVO is 720x360. It's not unreasonable to assume that someone would want to have a bigger one.

Maximum sprie size is 640x480 but of course that is far too large for any ship. Sprite dimensions must be a multiple of 8, so try 144x144 or 152x152 for your ship

I just tested a bunch of different sprite sizes, and I found that EVO would not load unless the spďn x/y size was set to 680x680 or less. (that's 4080 total size)

Originally posted by nighthawk:
actually, 640x480 is the maximum size for the whole thing, not any one frame. this means that, if you're going for 6x6, you can only have frames with size a multiple of 8 and less than 106x80 (i.e. 104x80 or smaller)

:: points up ::

------------------