Independent 3D Objects and Compatibility

What are all the 3D(object imports)formats compatible with...of course, Bryce, LW, et al?
So far I know about DXF, and then there's Max, 3ds, or something like that. I found all these good site to download these killer objets, I just don't know if they will work in being imported.

-Lequis

------------------
Lequis Design
lequis.netfirms.com
PhantoM_63ff@hotmail.com

Bryce can import standart obj format. So you can use use Wavefront OBJ, LWO etc. DXF are most readable in anyware. But they are huge. Some of the 1Mb models that I used to import to Bryce in Infini-D format were over 100Mb in DXF format. And they need to be smoothed a lot after importing into Bryce which can have a bad impact on a small details in their structure. I think I tryed 3ds in Bryce and it worked not good but it was not a Strata programme 3ds so you may have luck with this format too. And I don't think Bryce can import native Max format.

------------------

Originally posted by Slav:
**Bryce can import standart obj format. So you can use use Wavefront OBJ, LWO etc. DXF are most readable in anyware. But they are huge. Some of the 1Mb models that I used to import to Bryce in Infini-D format were over 100Mb in DXF format. And they need to be smoothed a lot after importing into Bryce which can have a bad impact on a small details in their structure. I think I tryed 3ds in Bryce and it worked not good but it was not a Strata programme 3ds so you may have luck with this format too. And I don't think Bryce can import native Max format.

Widening the field from Bryce, each application has its own preferred formats. Generally, the more expensive/professional the application, the more formats it will import and export. However, every application has a home format few other applications can read; Bryce has .opb and .mat, Poser has .pp2 and .pz3 and so on and so forth.

In a rough order of descending utility, here are the more common formats;

.obj fairly compact, contains UVmapping data, accepted by all pro, semi-pro, and the majority of low-range applications. My favorite format.

.dxf less efficient, lacks UV or color data, one of the oldest formats (AutoDesk and CAD), it has subtle variations (including 2D only) that do not always import correctly. Something funny in Bryce makes import of DXF achingly slow. Sometimes (in various applications) holes appear.

3DMF favored by QuickTime3D, QuickDraw, SimpleText, various web 3D schemes, other low-end 3D users. It stores color data but not UV mapping, generally imports without holes showing up in the mesh...but most 3DMF files you will find around are very small and cartoony. Rarely are there large quality models in this format.

3ds (3D Studio 3DS) I seem to remember this as a little friendlier than 3DMF and carrying more information than DXF; it also appears both compact and common. Most applications can import and export it but there are sometimes incompatibilities with the formatting. As I recall the files are quite compact, more efficient than anything else on this list.

LWO (Lightwave) despite being the home format of one of the big boys, it is found on a small number of other applications (Amorphium, for one).

FACT (Electric Image) as above, only even less common.

In all of these you are going to have two ongoing problems; a multiplicity of names used in the import/export boxes (Amorphium might say "LWO" Poser might say "Lightwave", and you've got to figure out it is the same thing). And the plethora of import options, almost all of which change the original file (always use a copy!) and many of which are just plain ugly.

I am into simplicity myself. I use .obj everywhere, and I leave the import/export values at their default settings. Also, once you've tried UVMapping ( UVMapper by Steve Cox is freeware), you'll never go back.

------------------
everywhere else, it's --
"Nomuse"

I learned that most of 'em didn't work, the hard way, through two crashes and three error quit things. Unfortunately, all the good objects are not importable into b5. Like...I found a nice model of a Corvette, one of an F-15, one of a neat lamp, one of a...well, I'll just have to look more, won't I.

😛 I think that's all for now

-Lequis

------------------
Lequis Design
lequis.netfirms.com
PhantoM_63ff@hotmail.com