Guild of Bankers Plugin

Hey All,
Just wanted to let you all know that I have recently added the Guild of Bankers plugin. It is a simple plugin that simply adds a banker npc to each of three towns. To find out more, just download it.

To those who have, what do you think?

Gallandro

------------------
"(Even though you just obliterated a fleet of Galaxy Destroyers) Prepare to die!" says the confederate gunboat pilot.

While I believe the 50% increase is kind of cheap, and other than that there's not much use for it, it is the first plugin a while. Oh, and it runs fine on my computer.

------------------

I agree with Penguin. While I believe the bank idea is ingenious, the 50% interest thing is really, really cheap. You should probably lower it to a realistic level, like 5%.

Congrats, though, on the Readme. You gave foolproof instructions on installation, which is something I encourage, as lots of PC users have been making "This %#@$ plugin won't work on Windoze!" when they just couldn't figure out which folder to install. Thanks for helping prevent that.

------------------
If passion rules reason, how can you allow only reason to rule you?
Ā— Cafall

Wow ingenius. Thanks for the compliment. I realized that 50% might be a bit excessive, but remember that as the game progresses the time between levels increases and the money must remain in the bank for interest to accrue. Also, I don't think many people go much beyond level 20.

What do you think of my changing the interest so that it increases with level (but starting at like 5%)?

Gallandro

Originally posted by Gallandro:
What do you think of my changing the interest so that it increases with level (but starting at like 5%)?

Mr. Gallandro,

That sounds like a fine idea, given that there is no "good" way to count for time.

My recommendation would be to do the following, or something similar:

Make the interest rate 5% + 2% per level, with a maximum setting at 50%. Thus once the player hits 23rd level they have maxed out their interest rate; of course, at 23rd level it will be a long time before they will reach their next level. heh.

That would be my advice.

Good job. šŸ™‚

------------------
"But soon, soon, soon... the world will be a better place, with meadows and bunnies and fiber optics in every home..."
- Tom Dowdy, Apple Computer

Good idea, Stark. I'm at level 25, but only because I'm testing out all of my plug-in's bloodthirsty enemies. šŸ™‚

------------------
If passion rules reason, how can you allow only reason to rule you? Only Celchu knows the answer...
Ā— Cafall

That sounds super-cool Bledfast.

------------------

Originally posted by Stark Bledfast:
Make the interest rate 5% + 2% per level, with a maximum setting at 50%. Thus once the player hits 23rd level they have maxed out their interest rate; of course, at 23rd level it will be a long time before they will reach their next level.

Fiduciary Rewards:

I've just started some games with plugins other than Trinity. I loaded Sapphire, Gold, and Banker's Guild at the same time. At the start of the game I hit the gold button once and deposited this $1000 with Charles, the banker in Fantrima. I consider this my inheritance money. I've never hit the gold button again. By the time I fought my way up to Berglum, I was able to take $30,000 out of the bank to buy the best armor Berglum has to offer.

Having such good equipment has meant that I've seldom had to buy healing potions, and I've made a few deposits in the bank whenever I've passed through a town. I'm now at level 19, have not been to Witch Finger yet and Charles says I'm a millionare!

It's fun being rich, it's never happened in my real life, but I think the above example is a good indication that the interest rate is set too high. I think Stark's suggestion is sound and I'll be happy to play with version two.

------------------
My Doctor said I was having too much wine, women, and song - so I gave up singing because 2 out of 3 is not so bad.

I like it fine just the way it is. I had to fight with almost nothing but a cheap pair of shoes and an old dagger, but I deposited every GP I ever made. Turns out that by the time I was ready for the big baddies, I was able to afford the a few choice items, then fight my way to some great armor. It's really fun to save the money and watch it grow (sounds corny, but I can wait until I can afford the best - I do own a Mac after all).

Great Job! Playing the Ranger felt like a cheat (up to 4 mil before lvl 7 with the spice trade), but this is sacrifice and hard work to get my swordman's gear.

yer pal,
Ted (of the legion of Armored Aardvarks)

Yeah well, you might like it, but it's not the way the game was meant to be played. You can continue to use it, butI'd classify you as a "Cheater" (No offense meant)

------------------

Hi All,

Thanks for all the comments. I am glad that people are enjoying my plug (even if I the current version is a slight bit of a cheat). Hopefully I should have the new version (using Stark's method) up in about a week.

Gallandro

Originally posted by phantompenguin:
**Yeah well, you might like it, but it's not the way the game was meant to be played. You can continue to use it, butI'd classify you as a "Cheater" (No offense meant)

Perhaps something like, "Personally, I think Bankers is a cheat the way it's set up now, and I wouldn't use it." Leaving out the pronoun, "you" really makes a big difference when adding constructive critisism or building a contstructive community.

yer pal,
ted (not always a coward)

Yeah, O.K. I didn't mean any offense, it just gets me kinda' upset when they use semi-cheats like that.

------------------

Originally posted by phantompenguin:
**Yeah, O.K. I didn't mean any offense, it just gets me kinda' upset when they use semi-cheats like that.

Why should it upset you? They are not ruining your game, they're only affecting their own.
There is no reward for winning the game faster, stronger, etc. If we were competing against each other, it would make a difference.

I've beaten the game several times with no cheats (except, perhaps, my own map which I consider a cheat) and so now I use cheats to get through the slow mid-game to arrive faster at the challenges that interest me. I know I can arrive at the same place if I'm willing to take the time and effort to collect enough strength, money, etc. so the cheat is just a shortcut and time saver.

If you don't want to cheat, fine. If you do cheat, also fine. Each person will play his own game as he sees fit. Most of the questions which get answered on this web board are in reality a request for a cheat. We could answer those questions by saying "I'm sorry but you will have to solve that for yourself." but we don't do that. If you have ever looked at Stark Bledfast's Walkthrough, or taken a peek at Meganote's map (I hope I've got the credit right), or looked at the Rubber Ducky map, you have cheated! Think about it.

------------------
My Doctor said I was having too much wine, women, and song - so I gave up singing because 2 out of 3 is not so bad.

Man I never thought that my plugin would start a debate about cheating. It started as the Tutorial plugin, but I wanted my guy do a little bit more than just say hello.

And sorry I have yet to update it, I have been a bit busy for the past couple of weeks.

Gallandro

------------------
"(Even though you just obliterated a fleet of Galaxy Destroyers) Prepare to die!" says the confederate gunboat pilot.

Originally posted by Rubber Ducky:
**Fiduciary Rewards:

I've just started some games with plugins other than Trinity. I loaded Sapphire, Gold, and Banker's Guild at the same time. At the start of the game I hit the gold button once and deposited this $1000 with Charles, the banker in Fantrima. I consider this my inheritance money. I've never hit the gold button again. By the time I fought my way up to Berglum, I was able to take $30,000 out of the bank to buy the best armor Berglum has to offer.

Having such good equipment has meant that I've seldom had to buy healing potions, and I've made a few deposits in the bank whenever I've passed through a town. I'm now at level 19, have not been to Witch Finger yet and Charles says I'm a millionare!

It's fun being rich, it's never happened in my real life, but I think the above example is a good indication that the interest rate is set too high. I think Stark's suggestion is sound and I'll be happy to play with version two.

I'm going to try that too!

------------------
"If a soldier sweats in
boot camp, he won't
bleed in battle."