R&R; OutfEditor problem

This may be old news to you, but I just discoverd it and could not remember seeing any discussion so I am posting the info FWIW.

There is a minor problem in the R & R Software OutfEditor that seems to have been a contributing factor in the creation of a bug in the Mille Terrae plug that has cost us many hours of extra work and frustration.

The OutfEditor uses a pop-up menu with verbal descriptions of the various types of modifications to set the values of the "ModType1" and "ModType2" fields. There is no provision in the editor for "None" (-1) as the "ModType2" value.

This glitch in the editor was not the entire cause of the MT bug, but probably was a contributibg factor. The bug manifested itself in play by causing ships equipped with a certain weapon to develop unholy amounts of free space, approximately 300 tons per weapon. Needless to say, it would be detrimental to game balance if a small fighter could carry 1200 tons of upgrades. The cause of the bug was a number of oufits having 1 rather than -1 in the "ModType2" field, in combination with 0 in the "ModVal2" field. The combination of a limitation in the OutfEditor (and a certain amount of carelessness in setting values) caused ua a serious problem.

------------------
Joe Burnette
"I find that humans can be divided into only two meaningful categories: Decent Humans and Sonsofbitches; both types appear to be evenly distributed
among all shapes, colors, sizes, and nationalities." -- Keith Laumer