Plug For New horizons

Hey, all, I'm the new guy (only 16) and, while I've been playing EV for years (off and on, for a while I didn't have a Mac) this is my first time I've started to develop any serious kind of plug and, well, I need help.

The plug will be a general expansion of the truly excellent revamp New Horizons. I plan to add some new ships (graphics from Adam's shipyard and possibly grand-novice.com), some more missions with corporations/aliens/new govt. etc. A big undertaking, to say the least.

BUT I'm starting small. I thought that I'll start with just a new ship set (from adam's shipyard), but I'm already running into trouble. I've got all the resources I need (I think-shďp, PICT, STR, dësc and spďn) and have filled out all of the feilds, but when I test the plug I can't find any of my new ships! I probably sound like such a loser, but could someone help? Please? I even included my e-mail! (dorky, I know, but the registration wouldn't accept my Yahoo account).

Thanks!
Elwood

------------------

if you want to see your ships, you need düde and changes on s˙st. If you want to buy them make techlevel 1 or something. if you need details ask, but its in the EVO bible.

------------------
=Spread the Chaos=

I set the techlevel to one and I can't find it anywhere, even on Earth (that has a tech level of four). I think it's rather odd, and, beleive me, I wouldn't come here begging like a dog if I hadn't cheked everything a couple of times.

------------------

Did you set the the mission bit field to -1? If it's on 0, the ships won't be available unless you've set bit 0. Also, are you sure 4 is the tech level, and not the special tech level for Earth?

------------------
I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway. -Crow T. Robot
(url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/cgi-bin/ubb/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum;=Just+Games&number;=60&DaysPrune;=20&LastLogin;=")Just Games(/url), because wasting time is a beautiful thing

(This message has been edited by StarStrafer (edited 08-25-2001).)

Good luck on your plug-in.

<< I'm the new guy (only 16)>>
Hey! I'm younger!
😄

4 is a tech level, I don't think it's a special tech level. Try looking at GTA station.

------------------
macmaxbh
"I don't need romance." Zak Kebron told her confidently. "I have goldfish."

I did set the mission bit to -1 and checked to make sure 4 is the regular Tech Level. It's rather strange. Just to make sure, what's the highest Shďp resource ID# NH will recognize? All of my ships are 192-197, so it should be fine.

Maybe I should just put them to the side and focus of some other aspect of the plug for a while.

Thanks for the help,
Elwood.

BYW, if you have some suggestions and want to e-mail them to me, my main account is lwoolward@yahoo.com

------------------

Originally posted by lwood:
**I... Just to make sure, what's the highest Shďp resource ID# NH will recognize? All of my ships are 192-197, so it should be fine....

There's the problem. EV ship ID#s must be in the 128-191 range (with 191 reserved for the Escape Pod). I don't know how many of the shďp resources NH uses, but you can check the files with ResEdit to find out which if any ID#s are available.

This and much other info is in the EV Bible which is an essential reference for all plug-in developers.

Good luck!

------------------
Joe Burnette
"I find that humans can be divided into only two meaningful categories: Decent Humans and Sonsofbitches; both types appear to be evenly distributed
among all shapes, colors, sizes, and nationalities." -- Keith Laumer

Darn, that means that NH uses every available ship resource.

Where can I get a simpletext version of the EV Bible? I don't have word on this mac (it's my mother's), and the couple of Bible's I've gotten my hands on I haven't been able to open!

Thanks for the help,
Elwood

------------------

Yeah, I double checked it and NH uses all the ship resources. Shoot! That takes a huge chunk out of my plug. Well, maybe I can put that towards another large conversion and just do missions/systems for NH. Oh, well.

What other large plug would you recomend adding to? I like the Empire trilogy, so far I've only "completed" the first one and am about half way through the second. I have yet to try Pale.

Anyway, thank you for your help, I'm sure I'll have more questions later.

Elwood

------------------

Originally posted by lwood:
**Darn, that means that NH uses every available ship resource.

Excrement occurs.
Maybe you can add on to another plug, or just add missions and ships to the original game.

Where can I get a simpletext version of the EV Bible? I don't have word on this mac (it's my mother's), and the couple of Bible's I've gotten my hands on I haven't been able to open!

(/b)

Uh, you can't. The bible is far too long a document to open in SimpleText. And what is this about Word? The bible is a text document that can be opened with any word processor or text editor worthy of the name - for instance the word processing module of Appleworks/Clarisworks that is preloaded on all new Macs, or most e-mail programs. If you really don't have any application that will handle plain text files, there is a Docmaker (self-opening document) version of the bible in the archives, I believe in the 'Guides' section, it's under the name EVBAE ( for EV Bible Annotated Edition).

------------------
Joe Burnette
"I find that humans can be divided into only two meaningful categories: Decent Humans and Sonsofbitches; both types appear to be evenly distributed
among all shapes, colors, sizes, and nationalities." -- Keith Laumer

Man o Man you're opening post for this topic sounds like something I would say for I have/had all the problems you have talked about. Today I finished the LOI string of NH and was just thinking to myself I should add some missions to the end of each string. In fact I still might add on missions to the alien string and the and the LOI string too. About your problem with the bible I think I have a solution, your comp must have Adobe Acrobat Reader right? I had the same problem but I have the Bible in PDF format if you want it or check the Tools or Essentials on the addons page. If you want some help or you wanna team up or something i'm ok with that since I was thinking about doing something similar. Whatever. e-mail me at RVBSoccer@aol.com if u want something, i'll try to help. You might also wanna consider doing a small sequel to NH that way you have grounds to take ships and update them with new tech.

The ONLY word processing-capable program on this is Quark, which is weird. My mom's a graphic designer, so she got rid of any simple word processors. I just coppied an onlin Bible and pasted it into a quark document. Should have thought about that earlier.

I was thinking more along the lines of a Confed string that would let them come back (for those of us who like the evil, corporate side of things. 🙂 The problem is that I got this sweet set of ships of of Adam's Shipyard and wanted to integrate it w/o getting rid of anything from the NH universe. Maybe Ng industries (the manufacturer) could have had a corporate take over and assimilated infinity/siedon etc.? NE way, mail me at lwoolward@yahoo.com

------------------

You sooooo do not want to go messing with new horizons as your first "serious" plug-in project. If you want to do something do something like more missions/ships/govts/outfits/weapons for the original EV game or you could complete the EVO plug Incomplete (which you can get from the download page). And a word of advice , get Pontius Irbrings EV Formula Calc, it is more important than any other utility (except of course the Ev Bible and Res-edit).

------------------
--------------------------
Wham!Man - The original and still the best

If anyone had the models for New Horizons, making the graphics "oblique" might be
a cool plug.....

------------------

Okay, I havent actually played New Horizons (download too big), so do tell me if I'm talking complete rubbish here.

If you really do want to add your ships to NH, have you contemplated removing one government or set of ships that are nonessential to the storyline? It would be much like when Bombcat removed the Voinians when he made F25 to make room - mildly annoying but not critical.

Mazca

If u are only wanting to test with an ship use shipwrite instead of res-edit but u should learn res-edit to 🙂

------------------
<======():::::::::::::::::::>