Would it be possible...

...to make it so you could only use a hyper-jump route if you have a certain ship?

------------------
Write your complaints here: O
Please don't write out of the space.
------------------
(url="http://"http://pub80.ezboard.com/blukesspot")Luke's Board(/url)

I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure that you can't do that. What you could do is through missions, offer the player a ship that they wouldn't want to get rid of, and make the new jump route appear. Unfortunately, the player could still go through even if they bought a different ship. Hope that helps.

------------------

==> <- It's an Azdara:-)
- (The best fighter

Yes, but only in EVN.

------------------
(Insert Signature Here)

About the closest you can come to that is what I did in Paralell Universe (and what I plan to do in SRE 2). Make an outfit (like a "hyper-engine stabelizer") that doesn't really do anything but give it to the player for a mission, or have the player be able to buy it. Have it add 0 tons of cargo space just so it will stay with the player's ship. If the player buys it, have the ModType 2 set a your mission bit. If he get's it through the mission, use the mission to set the mission bit.

------------------
Cuz I'm a 21st Century Digital Boy
I don't know the Monty Python but I've got a lotta toys
My daddy is a Renegade, his name is Hellcat Helian
Wait a second...

Originally posted by 21st Century Digital Boy:
**About the closest you can come to that is what I did in Paralell Universe (and what I plan to do in SRE 2). Make an outfit (like a "hyper-engine stabelizer") that doesn't really do anything but give it to the player for a mission, or have the player be able to buy it. Have it add 0 tons of cargo space just so it will stay with the player's ship. If the player buys it, have the ModType 2 set a your mission bit. If he get's it through the mission, use the mission to set the mission bit.

Hmmm... thanks.

------------------
Write your complaints here: O
Please don't write out of the space.
------------------
(url="http://"http://pub80.ezboard.com/blukesspot")Luke's Board(/url)

In EVO 1.0.2 you can have a mission available only if the player is flying a certain ship, and you can also set a bit at the mission start.

To accomplish what you want, set the bit set on start to turn on the visbit for your system.

If you're really desperate for the player not to change ships, you can set all of your ships except the correct one to only be available when the visbit of the system is clear (make sure you set the fail bit to clear that bit, otherwise if the player's ship is destroyed he'll never be able to buy another one). Landing on the new system completes the mission and reclears that bit, so the player is now once more able to buy other ships.

In EVN (according to the EVN Bible) things are simpler, because buying a ship can trigger a bit setting formula, so that you can arrange to have a system appear if you buy a ship and disappear if you buy another ship. However, it may well be that having your ship destroyed and being regiven the initial ship does not set a new bit, so there might be a situation where a player could have the equivalent of a shuttle and get into that system.

------------------
M A R T I N • T U R N E R

Originally posted by Martin Turner:
In EVN (according to the EVN Bible) things are simpler, because buying a ship can trigger a bit setting formula, so that you can arrange to have a system appear if you buy a ship and disappear if you buy another ship. However, it may well be that having your ship destroyed and being regiven the initial ship does not set a new bit, so there might be a situation where a player could have the equivalent of a shuttle and get into that system.

Actually, you could do it the same way as in EVO, but more efficiently: The player can automatically recieve a certain kind of ship when he starts a mission, eliminating the "buying" step. Then, you could use the require/contribute flags to make all ships unavailable unless a certain flag was set, and turn on that flag in the "contribute" field for all ships except the one used for the mission. That way, you can use that mission bit for something else, and put other restrictions on the availability of certain ships if need be.

That second part may be pointless, though, since you can test for multiple bits in Nova's...... er...... bit tester. @_@()

------------------
"Toadflesh!"

Here's another way: Use hypergates to "guard" a certain route. Create a govt specifically for owning those stellars, and use the require field for that govt in conjunction with the contribute field of the ship in question to prevent people without that ship from landing on the stellar and using the hypergate.

Or, make the hypergate a deadly stellar (destroys ships that touch it) and reserve immunity to deadly stellars for that ship. (Use this option only if you're running low on custom flags; it could be used for other things.)

Y'know what? I think I'll use one of these ideas........

------------------
"Toadflesh!"

Or a SIMPLE idea :

Make this ship have greater fuel capacity then any other ship (by 3 so fuel pods will have no effect) and put lots of uninhabitated systems between the destination syst and the starting syst so just one ship has the capacity to reach it (make sure there are no ships in these syst) and there is no ramscoop in EVO so everything will work well.

------------------
--------------------------
Wham!Man - The original and still the best

Wham!Man: There is a ramscoop in EVO, it only has a different name

Martin Turner: My experience with the field that only makes a mission avaliable when the player has a certian ship is that it doesn't work. But if you've gotten it to work, then I'd encourage Luke to at least try it that way. If he's still reading this topic, that is.

------------------
Cuz I'm a 21st Century Digital Boy
I don't know the Monty Python but I've got a lotta toys
My daddy is a Renegade, his name is Hellcat Helian
Wait a second...