Infini-D tutorials?

Alright, I've had it. I'm about to quit using Infini-D once and for all just because I'm getting so frustrated with my limited modelling skills. All I can do is warp shapes and resize them, that's about as far as I can go. Before I shred Infini-D with anger, ( ;)), could anyone give me a link or two to some good Infini-D tutorials? They don't have to be based on modelling, as anything would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

------------------
-Cap'n Skyblade
-Battle for Sol - Episode III: The Worlds Beyond the Milky Way - coming soon -

What happened to Cinema 4D?

I just started to really use it and am having a blast with its modelling capabilities.

Even though you said that it was acting screwy, there should be no reason as to why you couldn't fix the 'screwiness'. Try it out; if I can use it, then ANYONE can use it.

Sorry for no insight on Infini-D...
GOOD LUCK on your search, however. 😉

------------------
.... So, two guys walk into a bar...... the third guy ducked.

I don't know of any good Infini-D tutorials off the top of my head...actually, I know of some. (url="http://"http://www.zutroy.com/Infini-D/tutor.html")Go here(/url) and see which still exist. I would be willing to try and help you, though. (tutor vs. tutorials? ;))

P.S. about your missile frigate spinning, you still haven't replied to my last email asking about sprite size and RayTrace vs. Phong. That's why I haven't done it, not because I'm flaking but, from my standpoint, you are...please tell me if it's actually my mail server flaking...

------------------

Originally posted by Weepul 884:
**I don't know of any good Infini-D tutorials off the top of my head...actually, I know of some. Go here and see which still exist. I would be willing to try and help you, though. (tutor vs. tutorials?;) )

P.S. about your missile frigate spinning, you still haven't replied to my last email asking about sprite size and RayTrace vs. Phong. That's why I haven't done it, not because I'm flaking but, from my standpoint, you are...please tell me if it's actually my mail server flaking...

Wow, those look like pretty good tutorials. I'll download them when I get the chance. Thanks for posting them...

As for the missile frigate, I never heard back from you. :frown: Guess it was a mail server problem after all.

But of course, I could give you all that information now.

I prefer phong-rendered images, but do whatever is easiest for you.

Pixel size... How about 128 by 128?

------------------
-Cap'n Skyblade

Originally posted by MrStuffTheIT:
**What happened to Cinema 4D?

I just started to really use it and am having a blast with its modelling capabilities.

Even though you said that it was acting screwy, there should be no reason as to why you couldn't fix the 'screwiness'. Try it out; if I can use it, then ANYONE can use it.

Sorry for no insight on Infini-D...
GOOD LUCK on your search, however. 😉

Man, you're making me jealous. 😉 I would use Cinema 4D if I could get it working, but my brother had to throw it away as it was fragmenting our hard drive. :frown: Maybe I can get him to re-install it when he gets the time. You make the modelling sound rather easy. Infini-D seems way too old...

By the way, I'm saving up for Lightwave 7 at the moment. Anyone have some information on the modelling capabilities? I know it will do powerful things, but I also believe it takes plenty of time to learn...

------------------
-Cap'n Skyblade

128x128 works, it's pretty large, but I would much prefer rendering it with RayTrace. It was taking like 20 times less time than Phong. :

Lightwave in general has a terrific modeller that I do not yet know how to use. :frown:

Still, just ask me if you want help with anything.

------------------

Originally posted by Weepul 884:
**128x128 works, it's pretty large, but I would much prefer rendering it with RayTrace. It was taking like 20 times less time than Phong. :

Lightwave in general has a terrific modeller that I do not yet know how to use. :frown:

Still, just ask me if you want help with anything.

128 is a bit too large? Does 80 by 80 pixels sound better?

If RayTracing is easier, just go ahead and render it that way.

So Lightwave has a good modeller? That's good. Do you know if there is a demo version of the program?

Thanks for all the help.

By the way, I've been able to successfully create three ship sprites and get them to operate perfectly in Override. I've made re-makes of the Zachit Arada and Fighter, as well as the Azdgari Arada. They all work great. However, the only reason I've been able to get them to spin correctly is because they are only one object long (with numerous more objects attached to the sides, top of the object etc.). If I try spinning a ship that is more than a single object in length, one end is always longer than the other, which always causes problems.

I'll try posting the spins I've managed to create to let you see them sometime... Thanks for all the help.

------------------
-Cap'n Skyblade

Originally posted by Captain Skyblade:
By the way, I've been able to successfully create three ship sprites and get them to operate perfectly in Override. I've made re-makes of the Zachit Arada and Fighter, as well as the Azdgari Arada. They all work great. However, the only reason I've been able to get them to spin correctly is because they are only one object long (with numerous more objects attached to the sides, top of the object etc.). If I try spinning a ship that is more than a single object in length, one end is always longer than the other, which always causes problems.

Heheheh. That's why I use POV-Ray; with the text-based interface, it's an astoundingly simple matter to group the whole thing as one object and then rotate it.

------------------
"Toadflesh!"

Originally posted by NTiOzymandias:
**Heheheh. That's why I use POV-Ray; with the text-based interface, it's an astoundingly simple matter to group the whole thing as one object and then rotate it.

I'm sure that can probably be done in Infini-D, but how is still beyond me. Weepul seems to find an answer for everything. 😉

------------------
-Cap'n Skyblade

sigh I'll repeat myself, more clearly this time. Am...I...going...too...fast? 😉

(this is for a top-down view, but a similar technique can be used for angled sprites)

Make yer ship. Make it however and wherever you want.

Make a cylinder. Convert it to splineform. (Easy way: double-click on it.)

Move it so it's about centered on your ship. It should be easy to center it left-to-right, if your ship has a main hull or such definate center. Then, resize it so the circle it should appear as in the top view encompases your ship. (Technically, your ship should just be inscribed in the circle.) Move it about and resize it (use the global resize, so it stays circular) until your ship fits completely in it.

Move your "spinner" object, a dummy object (can be anything) which is set to not be shown and is animated to spin, to the same place as your circle-cylinder.

Link every object of your ship to the spinner object. I use the sequencer and drag-and-drop to do all of my linking.

Move the spinner and circle-cylinder to the center of the scene (0, 0, 0) and center the top view (double-click on the hand tool in the main toolbar), then use the zoom tool to zoom out until the circle is inscribed in the view. There, your ship is centered.

If you still don't understand, maybe I'll make a movie of it using Snapz... 🙂

P.S. I'd like to see your EVO remakes. There is no demo of Lightwave.

------------------

Hey, Captain, I think I posted as a reply to one of your questions before. If you want to have no problem making your sprites in Infini-D, go to M. Dailey homepage and get the Infini-D template for making those. It's great. Oh, forget it I'll send it to you now.

------------------

Originally posted by Slav:
**Hey, Captain, I think I posted as a reply to one of your questions before. If you want to have no problem making your sprites in Infini-D, go to M. Dailey homepage and get the Infini-D template for making those. It's great. Oh, forget it I'll send it to you now.

Could you post a link to it? Thanks.

------------------
(url="http://"http://bbspot.com/News/2001/03/perl_test.html")Test Shows 99.99% of High School Seniors Can't Read Perl(/url)

Originally posted by diddlysquat:
**Could you post a link to it? Thanks.

Here you go (url="http://"http://www.grand-novice.com/EVES-site/ship_bldr_mnl.html")http://www.grand-nov...p_bldr_mnl.html(/url)
Check out his whole site. It`s probably one of the greatest resourses sites for EV ever.

------------------