Website Reveiw: Ambrosia

At first glance it doesn’t look like much. Indeed many jave a first thought of it as a mere webpage for Ambrosia’s Escape Velocity and Override. But little do those fools know what they’re about to get into. Of all the EV/Override sites I have seen with my very own eyes, none is more golden then the homepage to one of the greates game trilogies to grace this world.

Ever since its’ humble begginings, the main site has always had power over all of us. No member of the EV community who has ever had web access has seen suvh ones. I give this site the best rating as it can never be otherwise. We have seen declines and rises in the intrest of Escape Velocity, but thissite has endured.

The EV/O offical page is home to many things. First and foremost is perhaps the largest archive of plugins and collections of editors and guides ever seen. It holds within these archives Frozen Heart and Femme Fatle by the well-known Martain Turner, Pale 1.9 by Soul, and F-25 by the legendary Bomb, to name but a very few.

It also holds one of the greatest collections of links for EV/O sites and shipyards, surpassed only by those of Celtic Starbase. These links lead off into many places, all of the sites holding much to be seen and witnessed. I would very much reccomend people new to the EV world to visit this part of the site, both for the need of info and just for the hell of it.

Next on our tour is the chronicles section. Here is perhaps the largest collection of stories based within the Escape Velocity/Override universe. Many talented writers have made their work known, from Jake101’s DocMother and UE fighter series to PlanetPhil’s enlightening Zero Moment. Some of my own stories have come to rest within and three have but to wait. It was once mainly maintained by Jude, considered to be Keeper of the Chronicles and one of our greatest mods before her retirement. Now ShadeofBlue has taken her spot and while not as good as Jude, still he has done well. If you love to read, this is a must for you.

If you are an artist born and bred or just an art lover, then swing on over to the gallery section. It houses the largest collection of EV/O art in history, holding the works of many of our fellow members in the EV Community. Artists range from Captain Skyblade to David, member of Mewox Products. I have seen many art archives for EV/O, but they pale in comparison to those of Ambrosia’s. Art lover or not, a visit to the Gallery is a much recommended idea.

Last on our trip through the sites are what I consider the heart and soul of the Community: the ambrosia webboards. Within they hold much, from the board of EV Classic to the Banter & Brawl. These boards are home to many respected members of the Community. There are many boards within, each serving its’ own purpose. They are tended to by moderators who do their job with skill, having been chosen by andrew himself; these moderators seem to actually care what is tolerated and what is not.

The boards are ho,me to many members of the EV Community and go across throughtout the Ambrosia boards. Amongts these members are PlanetPhil, matt burch, OctoberFost, Flatulence (Flatty), and the near-legendary Captain Scurvy, one of our oldest and most respected members, going back to the days when he hosted the old boards and site which has become this place.

The Escape Velocity Board is dedicated to its’ name; a place where people go to get help or just plain talk about EV. In these times, it has seen little action though. Occasionly fresh blood courses on through, reviving the board to its’ fullest. It has been home to some intresting topics, including the topic Confeds vs. Rebellion which now holds a place in the Best of Escape Velocity archives.

The EVO board is dedicated to Escape Velocity’s hit sequel Override. It has seen much action, more so then that of the EV board. It is here that one can find help on various points in the game, plugs, and hits. But more famous are such things as Moments of Pride and Accomplishment by Stud Beefpile, the famous Crew of One challenge, many bars, and many webstories like rooster’s BLS series, which sparked the abilities of many writers to create their own. From that webstoy sparked ones like Reing of Chaos, Red Horizon, and others. If you are one dedicated to Override, visit this webboard first.

The Development board is a place for people to go it they’re have trobule or difficulty making plugs; also it is a place to ask which editors are better used, which graphic programs to use, ect. It is also a place where people go to advertise and recruit people into making plugs. Many development teams like Corsair Developments, Axis Intergrated, and even Meowx Designs come to give hints, help, and even ask a few questions themselves. If you have trouble making plugs or want to give some hints, drop on by this webboard.

Amongst the most famous of the webboards is the EV Banter & Brawl and my personal favorite. Here can be found a place of disccusion and debates, ev-related and not, though more of the latter; perhaps the reason why I like it the most. Political dabates, religous disccuisions, and even a few stories have found their way onto here. Once this place was untamed and no moderators tended to it. Now this place has become more civilised with mods being posted there, which in my oppion is a good thing. I have seen many mods come and go from this particuallar board. One is PlanetPhil, who although still holds to the boards as a member, took early retirement. Lobster has gone as well, but he has had more personal issues. It is also home to two other things: the Hypergate and the Reistance, two now hit webstories. Sure he still comes to the boards now and again, he is one of those moderators who has much respect. If you would like to see debates in progress, go to the Banter & Breawl.

Perhaps the last part of the webboard tour is the Nova board; home to the discussion of Ambroisa’s upcomming and much anticppated EV: Nova, third and last in the now legendary EV series. At first, it is kinda hard to imagineNova’s transaction from an upcoming plug to perhaps the greatest chapter in EV historu. Home to many people, it is here that many discussions, reveiws, and more then not, questions about Nova. It is tended to by matt, TomWossle, Frandall, and before his retirement, Lobster. As Nova comes close to entering beta, much more info is released then was before. It is here that we ask questions about the features while matt and Frandall and even pipeline torture us by giving us bits and pieces of information, that after a time, add up to tell us something more. Also one other person has come here: David Arthur, aka the Encyclopedia Nova, as he has become known. David is perhaps the single most knolwegdable person on Nova outside the development team, and is respected member of the Community. It won;dn’t surprise me if David is given the status of moderator sometime soon. It is here on the Nova board that the Hypergate got its start by pipeline, and here is disscued the SOD or ship of the day. If you want to know more about the SOD, ask on this board; I guarantee you’ll get a response. If you’re intrested in Nova, come here. Just don’t ask things like “When’s Nova coming out or “Can I be on the beta team.” It draws attention and you’ll perhaps be brutally & ruthlessly tortured before being pointed to the FAQ.

That does it for the webboard part of the offical Escape Velocity sites. I do good to state that spaming is not tolereated. Neither is needless child’s games, insulting, or just plain rudeness. I’ve been karmaslaped for doing such things and I ask those who are new to act accordingly so as not to get karmaslaped. There have been a few incidents where people have gotten so bad that they were kicked off, yet in time became good moderators.

Another place in the Ambrosia site is the still uncomplte site for EV: Nova. Here you can find the FAQ, progress log, screenshots, and the pre-released Nova Bible. I have been to this place a few times and take my word for it, it is a must to go here. It would also be strongly adivsable, recommended, and required to take a look at the progress log, FAQ, and now the Nova bible before posting. As I mentioned above you could be ruthlessly tourtured before being ponted to such.

Also part of this site, if somewhat unoffically are #ev3 a place on IRC where people in the commuity go to chat in general. Be warned that you have a cool temper or a sense of humor because many people have been known to be offended by what is said on there. Over all, there wiuld be many insane people there. If you are offended, don't try and say I didn’t warn you.

That concludes my review of the offical home to the EV community. Remember that this place was once much less then once it was and we have many people to thank for its advancement. We have Captain Scurvy to thank espically since he attended the site when it was started. I hope you have enjoyed reading this. If you have any comments, questions, insults, flames, ect..., please post under this or I can be reached at Sojin52@aol.com or if you wish to talk to me over AIM, my screen name is Sojin52.

Regards to All,

Captain Whitehawk

------------------
(url="http://"http://pub51.ezboard.com/fquillzfrm4.showMessage?topicID=10.topic")A Pilot's memory(/url)
"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of congress. But I repeat myself." -- Mark Twain

You didnt mention what happened with the old site and community. Giving praise to those who lead to the breakup is rather strange. People have short memories though.

RMA

------------------

Wow. That must have taken a long time to write- it's almost like you did it for school or something.

------------------
Silent Night will be going into beta hopefully sometime in the summer of 2002!
----==========----
If you look far enough on the horizon, there will always be a cloud.

Originally posted by Captain Whitehawk:
**...surpassed only by those of Celtic Starbase...

Whatever happened to CelticStarbase (the board member)?

------------------
YakKa Foob MoG. GRuG
PubbuWuP ZiNk WattooM
GaZoRK. CHuMBLE SpuZz.
(url="http://"http://pub101.ezboard.com/bstarbasedelta")Starbase Delta(/url) | (url="http://"http://www.coolboard.com/myboards.cfm?oid=88975708993460")Spacestation Pheta Unofficial Forums(/url) | (url="http://"http://pub75.ezboard.com/bdaedalusdevelopers")Daedalus Developers' Board(/url)

Well, nice, but I still think that the old site was better. Sure, it was dysfunctional and new members tended to get offended real quick, but it had a nice feel to it - it was a community by the people, the site was individual, not part of a commertial whole.

Anyway, this is what we have, there is far more activity than before, and EVN is in the works...

------------------
--sitharus
(url="http://"http://www.evp.f2s.com/chelp/")Carracho Help(/url)
(url="http://"mailto:sitharus@ureach.com")mailto:sitharus@ureach.com(/url)sitharus@ureach.com