clock puzzle in tower

I'm stuck on last puzzle. I've done the web board search on this subject and the answers are unclear. I start by going through the clock face from bottom to top (6:00-12:00). Now at that point do you step on the last button (12:00) once more which would be twice or twice more which would be three times?

Step two - I go to the left side (9:00) and go in two buttons and back out. Does this mean go past the second button or stop on it before turning around? The difference is obviously whether the second button gets clicked once or twice.

Step three - I go to the right side (3:00) and pass through to the left (9:00). Now same question as in step one, do I step one more time for twice, or twice more for three times?

I think I've tried all possible ways and nothing yet has let me out of this room. BTW, I consider myself a reasonably good problem solver, but there is no way I would have ever figured these four puzzles out on my own. It would be comparable to picking the winning lottery number four times in a row. Because it is SOOO easy to step on a wrong tile in error in the first three levels, I had to save, quit, re-open several times to get up to the clock face. This tower, so far, has been a frustrating experience. There, I've said enough. I just want to get on with my game.

------------------
Why is it we park on driveways and drive on Parkways?

Your guess is as good as mine. Just realize that the north-south buttons affect the hour hand, and the east-west buttons affect the minutes hand, and you want the clock to read 1:15. When it does this you have solved the puzzle.

I tried to utilize the instructions that were posted to the walkthrough and compendium(yes, I wrote the W&C;, but I did not write the instructions to solve the puzzle!) and could not solve the puzzles using those instructions. After just running around haphazardly on the puzzles I finally solved them; same with the clock puzzle.

So if anyone wants to write instructions that are a bit more clear, I'd be happy to post them in the W&C.; 🙂

------------------
"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea --
massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a
source of mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect
it." -- Gene Spafford, 1992

Originally posted by Stark Bledfast:
**- - Just realize that the north-south buttons affect the hour hand, and the east-west buttons affect the minutes hand, and you want the clock to read 1:15. - -

Wow, 1:15! That's the piece of information I didn't know before. As I suspect you did, I kept fussing with the vertical until I had the center dial at 1 on the hour hand and then adjusted the horizontal to place the minute hand. I'm out, and off and running again. I couldn't tell you what exactly I did and it doesn't really matter. I do know that I had the hour hand at 1 when I was in the center of the clock, so I switched to horizontal movement from the center position.

I think your compendium directions might read as follows:

"Use vertical movement to set hour hand, then use horizontal movement to set minute hand."

Forget the sequence, it might not even be the same every time. There does seem to be a pattern to how much the hands move with each tile, but I really did not analyze that in my effort to move on.

Thank you, Stark, for the clue that got me out of the tower.

------------------

Originally posted by Rubber Ducky:
**I think your compendium directions might read as follows:

"Use vertical movement to set hour hand, then use horizontal movement to set minute hand."

Forget the sequence, it might not even be the same every time. There does seem to be a pattern to how much the hands move with each tile, but I really did not analyze that in my effort to move on.**

Yeah, I think I'll update the compendium in some fashion to reflect this. I just did the tower puzzles last night for the first time, and I must say that it was confusing for me as well(especially following the directions in my compendium!).

------------------
"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea --
massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a
source of mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect
it." -- Gene Spafford, 1992

Originally posted by Stark Bledfast:
**Yeah, I think I'll update the compendium in some fashion to reflect this. I just did the tower puzzles last night for the first time, and I must say that it was confusing for me as well(especially following the directions in my compendium!).

The clock one was never fixed, I think there was a step skipped, or a wrong direction listed, I forgot what I did and I never got around to redoing it. All I did was try and list in the fewest steps to get out. Since I pretty much wrote it as I did it, and never did it again. I do it quicker randomly then actualy follow any directions, specialy my own. Just look a how the buttons act is all I say. I breezed thought the tower on my first go, mabe its a idiot savant thing. 😛

------------------
Ecky- ecky- ecky- ecky- pikang- zoop- boing- goodem- zoo- owli- zhiv'
Now lobbest thou thy keyboard towards thy monitor, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it.
Rogue Thoughts: reorganizing for a new season near you.

Originally posted by ArcAngel Counterstrike:
**--- I do it quicker randomly then actualy follow any directions, --- Just look at how the buttons act is all I say. ----

The only piece of information really needed is what to set the clock at. Once I knew the clock should show 1:15, I was through the room in about three minutes. Most of us like to solve puzzles and don't want to be given too much information. The problem with these four rooms is that there is no clue as to where to start. Actually, without going back and checking, the clock face in the alcove may say 1:15 but there's nothing that says "match this" and that's a big jump in reasoning to make with no clue indicating what you need to do.

For the keypad puzzles, I found I needed to go through the number sequence, return to the alcove, and then go through the "clear" sequence before the tiles all lit up. My guess is that each tile is an on/off switch for three or more other tiles.

In rethinking this whole tower thing, I'm bothered by the fact that one is led into the tower without warning that you cannot get out unless you are able to solve the puzzles or resort to a cheat. There's no back door that says "OK, come back when you think you're ready to give it another try" and then dumps you "in the alley". The only other places that lock you in are Mesera's chamber, and the Gaurdian's chamber and in both of those you just have to hack and slash your way through.

------------------

Well, it is a good test for the resoning skills of a wizard. 😛

I can see the problem where people dont know where to look to so they know how to solve a puzzle. Yet I only saw this after hearing many problems from people, I was like "oh... well ya, thats a bit unexplaned i guess". I always just put one and one together to realize the pattern of tiles that lit up was to match the tile of the warp stone, then for all puzzles afterward, just match the tile to the puzzle. Just depends on what kind of puzzle solver you are.
If there was ever one of those pirimads made of pegs puzzles in trinity (where you have to use one peg to jump over another to remove it tell only one peg remained. You know, the puzzle board they always have at the table at Dennys or somthing)
I would have been toast, I hate those kinds of puzzles.

Once the Trinity plug data is released by bennox, the group effort into changeing it could add some better hints to solving the puzzles.... mabe add a few more puzzles even, plus a way to give up if half way through.

------------------
Ecky- ecky- ecky- ecky- pikang- zoop- boing- goodem- zoo- owli- zhiv'
Now lobbest thou thy keyboard towards thy monitor, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it.
Rogue Thoughts: reorganizing for a new season near you.