These missles won't work like I designed them to!

Ok, I can't figure this out. I make two missle weapons for my plugs and do the corresponding outfits for them. They work great except for one BIG problem, about 2 out of 3 of the missles fired (both do this, and they're both secondary weapons) starts spinning out of control, hits an asteroid and detonates. The thing is, I don't have these missles set to be effected by jamming AND they're supposed to pass over Asteroids but these thing hit them!! ARHHHH whats wrong. BTW I used the latest version of EVOGod and ResEdit to do these outfits. So, it could be an EVOGod problem. Kane, maybe you should look into it, and while I'm on the topic of EVOGod . . . Kane, every time I try and reopen an outfit I created in a plug after I've created it (it does this without fail and its starting to get me pissed off) I get this message.
"An exception of class.
OutOfBoundsException was not
handled.
The application must be shut down."

This is exactly how its displayed on my monitor, and the program does this to me EVERY time I open an already created outfit that I created or imported into my plug whether I imported through ResEdit (which is what I did on one occasion but I get this error message whenever I create an outfit and then try and reopen it in EVOGod later, even if I try and reopen it during the session in which I created the outfite). BIG problems both of them. I need to know how to fix this missle bug, its really getting on my nerves.

Cheers,
~Jedibrass

------------------
-author of "Dragerron"
-OotS member
-Star Wars and EVO
nut. 😄

Have you read the EVO Bible? Perhaps that would help you out a bit with your problem.

------------------
Platypus

Originally posted by Platypus:
**Have you read the EVO Bible? Perhaps that would help you out a bit with your problem.

You bet! When EVOGod doesn't do much good I turn automatically to ResEdit and the holy EVO Bible, which is like Scripture to me (ex: "And now we read the book of Spďns, Chaper 2 verses 9 - 21 . . .") :D. I only have the flag of "Pass over Asteroids" set and nothing else for that weapon in the way of guidance flags and this problem seems to be a guidance problem (and I have the inaccuracy set to 0).

Cheers,
~Jedibrass

------------------
-author of "Dragerron"
-OotS member
-Star Wars and EVO
nut. 😄

Originally posted by JediBrass:
**Ok, I can't figure this out. I make two missle weapons for my plugs and do the corresponding outfits for them. They work great except for one BIG problem, about 2 out of 3 of the missles fired (both do this, and they're both secondary weapons) starts spinning out of control, hits an asteroid and detonates. The thing is, I don't have these missles set to be effected by jamming AND they're supposed to pass over Asteroids but these thing hit them!! ARHHHH whats wrong...

Stupid question, but what sort of guidance did you specify for your weapoons? The number in the "Guidance" field should be 1 for a homing weapon, which I guess is what you are trying for.

------------------
Joe Burnette
"I find that humans can be divided into only two meaningful categories: Decent Humans and Sonsofbitches; both types appear to be evenly distributed
among all shapes, colors, sizes, and nationalities." -- Keith Laumer

Originally posted by Joe Burnette:
Stupid question, but what sort of guidance did you specify for your weapoons? The number in the "Guidance" field should be 1 for a homing weapon, which I guess is what you are trying for.

You got that right. But I think that I may have originally made the guidance 2, b/c there are 2 homing settings in EVOGod: Homing, and Smart Homing. I had smart homing for both and I looked in ResEdit and these weapons (one is the Contusion Missle (more powerful than the Concussion missle :D) and the Ion Rocket (can we say "Shield Sapper"? 😄 😄 :D)) both had guidances of 2 (guidance of 2 isn't used according to the EVO Bible). They both now have guidances of 1, but I'd still like tips on how to make these weapons pass over asteroids, and not be affected by any jamming. Besides the obvious strings to add &/or not add what other ways are there of assuring complete accuracy and asteroid/interference imunity? Oh, and BTW, what does Reload do for beam weapons? Is it there for a reason (for beam weapons, I know what it does with non-beam weapons) for it being there or is it only used when making non-beam weapons?

Cheers,
~Jedibrass

------------------
-author of "Dragerron"
-OotS member
-Star Wars and EVO
nut. 😄

Originally posted by JediBrass:
**..But I think that I may have originally made the guidance 2, b/c there are 2 homing settings in EVOGod: Homing, and Smart Homing...I had smart homing for both and I looked in ResEdit and these weapons...both had guidances of 2

The type one (smart) homing and type 2 (dumb) homing are a carryover from the original EV which had only those two options. With EVO the type 2 is not used and the characteristics of homing and response to jamming are set by flags in the "Seeker" field.

...I'd still like tips on how to make these weapons pass over asteroids, and not be affected by any jamming. Besides the obvious strings to add &/or not add what other ways are there of assuring complete accuracy and asteroid/interference imunity?

It's in the Bible.... 🙂
These are controlled by the "Seeker" flags, it appears that the correct flag would be $0001 which is supposed to make the weapon pass over asteroids and not be susceptible to any jamming or interference. The only other setting I can think of which might affect this would be "Inaccuracy" which ahould be set to 0.

...Oh, and BTW, what does Reload do for beam weapons?..

Exactly the same as it does for other weapons - it determines the delay between shots with the weapon while it "reloads" or recharges. If you want a really powerful weapon you can set it to 0 which gives a continuous beam, but in the interest of game balance it is probably best to have a delay between shots.

------------------
Joe Burnette
"I find that humans can be divided into only two meaningful categories: Decent Humans and Sonsofbitches; both types appear to be evenly distributed
among all shapes, colors, sizes, and nationalities." -- Keith Laumer

Originally posted by Joe Burnette:
**Exactly the same as it does for other weapons - it determines the delay between shots with the weapon while it "reloads" or recharges. If you want a really powerful weapon you can set it to 0 which gives a continuous beam, but in the interest of game balance it is probably best to have a delay between shots.

Nahhh, I'm creating a beam weapon that really HOLDS its prey (unlike the tractor beam which trys to lightly grasp the target and doesn't do a good job of that anyway) so having it let go some of the time would allow the target to escape and those caught in the beam are meant to stay and die in the beam (this beam will NOT be a turret and will only be on the REALLY big warship which has a really low turn rate so, its kind of easy to avoid the beam is you want to, but don't go in front of it, b/c it will catch you, hold you tightly, and slowly kill you (mass damage: 8, energy damage: 8 ) 😄 😄 😄

Cheers,
~Jedibrass

------------------
-author of "Dragerron"
-OotS member
-Star Wars and EVO
nut. 😄

Though I think I lost you somewhere on the way, don't use "smart" homing. Thats what the Pursuit missile does, and it spins around...and around...and around. The hunter missile uses "dumb" homing, and works fine.

BTW, that mega slow ship with the mega beam sounds like a fun battle! 😄

------------------
- Captain Stud Beefpile
- UE Naval 238th Squadron
- Crew of One Challenger
- Member of the Zacha Renegade Elimination Corporation

(quote)Originally posted by Stud Beefpile:
**BTW, that mega slow ship with the mega beam sounds like a fun battle!:D And I've added a weapon called Gangster Hit Men (its adds a weapon and adds 2 guys to your crew. Its a turret and only available on Camo-rock Station :D).

Cheers,
~Jedibrass

------------------
-author of "Dragerron"
-OotS member
-Star Wars and EVO
nut. 😄

Problem with tractor beams is that EVO calculates the "pull" as a function of the equipped ship's acceleration. Thus, no super slow ship can be able to completely hold an opponent.

------------------
Those who are blinded by the light shall stumble in the darkness...
Visit the (url="http://"http://pub40.ezboard.com/bevoverridediscussionarea")EVO Discussion Area(/url) 'cause I told you to!
(url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/cgi-bin/ubb/search.cgi?action=intro &default;=")USE ME, DAMNIT!!!(/url)

Originally posted by goomeister:
**Problem with tractor beams is that EVO calculates the "pull" as a function of the equipped ship's acceleration. Thus, no super slow ship can be able to completely hold an opponent.

Not if the ship's speed is low along with its turn, but the acceleration is high and the impact of the beam is at a really low negative number (e.g. -500). 😄

Cheers,
~Jedibrass

------------------
-author of "Dragerron"
-OotS member
-Star Wars and EVO
nut. 😄

about the tractor/killer beam. I experimented with that once or twice, and (I can't remember exactly) you either need a weapon that fires very rapidly (count and reload low), or one that fires long and slowly (long count and reload). A very negative impact is, of course, necessary. What's fun is a very, very, very negative impact on a seeker warhead.

------------------

Originally posted by what_is_the_matrix:
**about the tractor/killer beam. I experimented with that once or twice, and (I can't remember exactly) you either need a weapon that fires very rapidly (count and reload low), or one that fires long and slowly (long count and reload). A very negative impact is, of course, necessary. What's fun is a very, very, very negative impact on a seeker warhead.

The reload on this baby is 0 (continuous beam). 😄 And the count is really HIGH. 😄 This is one deadly weapon. And it can't be bought anywhere b/c it has the same tech level as the forklift AND it comes only on the Ximbat Cruiser. 😄 And what does a REALLY negative impact on a seeker warhead do exactly? 😉 (I'm trying to get you to say it). 😄

Cheers,
~Jedibrass

------------------
-author of "Dragerron"
-OotS member
-Star Wars and EVO
nut. 😄

(This message has been edited by JediBrass (edited 03-19-2001).)