Help with Bryce

Does anybody know how to map a single texture over many grouped objects?

Ex: 3 rectangles arranged in an "H" and a picture texture that looks like an "H" Instead of each rectangle being mapped with a distorted h, I need the group to display the texture spread out over the h.

I hope that wasn't too confusing!

------------------
Live like there's no tomorrow, Love like you've never been hurt, and dance like nobody's watching

I have never done this myself but:

Export the "H" as a DXF or somthing similar, then import it back into Bryce. With any luck, it will become one object. Then the texture will map correctly.

------------------
"I don't want to insist on it, Dave, but I am incapable of making an error" - HAL 9000

wow!! you can make image maps with bryce. I just discovered that by linking an object to a web url, then exporting the image as an html doc, you can make image maps! very cool. How do you export an object in bryce anyway?

------------------
Live like there's no tomorrow, Love like you've never been hurt, and dance like nobody's watching

You can give the three objects the same texture, and make sure they are mapped using 'world space' not 'object space' (or anything else for that matter). Then increase the size of the texture in the deep texture editor until it matches up nicely...

Cookie @ ATMOS

------------------

(This message has been edited by Frandall (edited 03-13-2001).)

thanks frandall, it worked.

Another thing I cannot get to work. Ihave imported a 3ds object, And I cant do bolean groupings with it. Is the file type wrong, and if it is how do I fix it?

------------------

For booleans on imported objects, you have to select the imported object(s), click on the E for edit object, and check the box "solid when boolean rendering". Painfully simple know that you know it's there, eh? 😉

Also, a word of caution for world mapping: the texture map will stay in place when you move or rotate the model. Therefore, to render a spin, you'd have to spin the camera and light source (not hard) or else the ship will end up looking really weird (reference to EV Ultra).

------------------

Another thought for the bolean problems. I've been using Bryce for about a month and when I import models in Bryce I make this mistake from time to time - forgeting to change all the objects to positive (ofcourse accept negative ones) and just just making their group positive. Boleans doesn't work that time. Probably it's just me.

------------------

Grouping in Bryce creates an entirely new object for Boolean rendering. In other words the boolean status of the individual objects is overridden by the group status. So it shouldn't matter if you just group and then set them to positive; it'll act as a single positive object.

On another note, anyone know why the groups screw up sometimes? Occasionally if I have a large group and I stretch it, rotate it, or something, it looks fine when I am doing the editing, but as soon as I select another object, the group flips out and scrambles itself, or twists 287 degrees in the XY axis, or something. I assume this is a bug (something to do with the W dimension?), but is there any way around this?

-Machiavelli

------------------

a few problems. I did click on solid while boolean rendering, and it still doesn't work. Am i missing sumpthing?

------------------

oh wait. I un grouped the meshes, and positived ( is that a word? 😉 )all them, now it works thanks!

------------------

Originally posted by Capt'n Hector:
**Does anybody know how to map a single texture over many grouped objects?

Ex: 3 rectangles arranged in an "H" and a picture texture that looks like an "H" Instead of each rectangle being mapped with a distorted h, I need the group to display the texture spread out over the h.

I hope that wasn't too confusing!

you should be able to create a symmetrical lattice (the dual mountain button) and then using photoshop make a height map (all grays) of an h and import that as the lattices height map. then u have an h as one object

------------------

The H was just an example.

------------------