MUD (etc.) Coding

I know this doesn't have much to do with EV or EVO but I'm hoping people in here know a little about MUD coding. Anyway here is just a quick question:

What type of program is used to create MUDs (etc). If there is more than one just say a couple of which one you think is the best or easiest. Thanks.

------------------
Ganna paint our wagon,
Ganna paint it good,
We ain't braggin',
We're ganna coat that wood!

You might want to try and get a hold of xmatt, Skyhawk, or Jos. They'd probably be the best people to ask that I know of considering that they are working on something similar and have lots of MUDing experience.

------------------
The never duplicated
Never capitalized
And always puce:
forge

Well, the text based MUD model that is most common is generally the result of the server program running on Unix. The most common server out there is called ROM, I forget the actual site for it, but check google and you should be able to find it.

You create the world of the MUD but writing out "area files" which are basically text files formatted to to specify to the server what the area looks like, which objects are in it, and what monsters are present.

If you want to get into changing the races or gameplay, though, you need some C coding experience, because you'll need play with the source code a bit to get it work.

If you're interested in that sort of stuff, drop by aeon.damnsw.net on Hotline sometime...

------------------
--
Matt
APATHISTS OF THE WORLD, U- ah forget it.

thanks. I went on a little while ago (hotline) and you just left so I'll try again later.

------------------
Ganna paint our wagon,
Ganna paint it good,
We ain't braggin',
We're ganna coat that wood!