Government Work (another ethical question)

You're toiling away at your own plug-in project. While visiting the boards, you learn that one of the featured, fairly important governments in your plug—a govt that existed in stock EV—is also featured prominently in another plug. An older and respected plug. A plug that you've never played or even seen; it's just unhappy coincidence that the govt is even abbreviated the same way in that plug as in yours. You don't know whether the missions are similar to yours; as I said, you've not played the plug.

As Dennis Hopper said to Keanu Reeves in "Speed," what do you do?

------------------
PlanetPhil
not drowning, waving

Originally posted by PlanetPhil:
**As Dennis Hopper said to Keanu Reeves in "Speed," what do you do?

You go ahead and make it anyway. It's unlikely that your plug will be identical to the previous one. However, it would probably be a good idea to take a look at the old plug to make sure that you're not inadvertantly following in someone else's footsteps.

------------------
Jon Potter
Thank you for your cooperation. Good night.

or as Lenin said, what is to be done?

actually, it might be better not to look at the other plug, just to be on the safe side and avoid inadvertant influence. and as for stock Ambrosia material, be it govt or otherwise, no single developer may lay claim to it. a prime example is the council, which exists solely for developers to tinker with. beyond the crescent is a well-made plug that reasonably developes the council idea, and adds a new council "warship." my plug, missile frigate, replaces the council's defense fleet of crescent warships with a much more dangerous enemy. it turns out that BtC and MF use nearly identical graphics for their respective new warships. am i concerned? no, because the graphics are stock EV original (well, almost--i did some tinkering in photoshop), and apart from the graphics and the use of council station, there is no similarity between the two (i actually learned about BtC's warship after making mine, when someone on the boards mentioned it; i had played it a long time ago but for some reason never faced the warship).

that in mind, there's a big difference between tinkering with stock EVO govt's and doing something with the magellan confederacy or the bomaarii.

------------------
Send an email to your Senators to Say no to Gail Norton! (url="http://"http://www.SayNoToNorton.org")www.SayNoToNorton.org(/url)
coming soon: War Without End, a continuation of the Strand saga