Recommended Plug-Ins of the Past Millenium

List your recommendations here of the best EV and EV/O plug-ins and why you think so. Also, list any plug-ins that you feel are worthy and may be overlooked.

Jude

Here are some of mine:
EV:

Eye of Orion (good story)

Mugabi and Destiny ... for her (good story and landing pics)

Mugabi and Destiny ... for him (good story and landing pics)

EVO:

Frozen Heart (good story)

Femme Fatale (good story)

------------------

(This message has been edited by nwa728 (edited 05-10-2004).)

Here are mine:

Escape Velocity:

1st - Escape Velocity Game Expander - Great picts, excellent storyline, best EV plug.

2nd - Alpha Consol - Excellent graphics, excellent target picts, and I just love the new cicn stuff that it has.

3rd - STEV - I've always been a trekkie...

Escape Velocity Override:

Well, um, er, uh, I'm not really sure about that. Give me some time to think.

Aha! I got it!

Star Wars (I forget the exact name)
Magma

Current Status of Plug Votes:

EV:
Eye of Orion - 1
Mugabi and Destiny (for her and him) - 1
Teckktra 3-Zeemajii Rule - 1
Empire 3-Endgame - 1
Star Wars ANA - 1
Pale - 1
EVGE - 2
Quantimire Trilogy - 1
Alpha Consol - 1

EVO:
Frozen Heart - 3
Femme Fatale - 1
Magma - 2
Star Wars (I forget the exact name) - 1
F-25 - 1
Beyond the Crescent - 1

------------------
To Escape Velocity: Nova and Beyond!
--------------
Millennium. Its coming, prepare for it.
Coming to the (url="http://"http://www.ambrosiaSW.com/games/ev/chronicles.html")EV Chronicles(/url).

(This message has been edited by Captain Carnotaur (edited 01-06-2001).)

(This message has been edited by Captain Carnotaur (edited 01-09-2001).)

EV: I think that New Horizons isn't really appreciated. It was one ****ing good plug though.

EVO: Beyond The Crescent doesn't get much credit either, but I'll be damned if I can't even begin to count the number of ****ed up people who have asked for help finding out where the ****ing artifact is. Hell, even I asked for help on it.

P.S.: Jude, thanks for the e-mail. Hahahaha.

------------------
The never duplicated
Never capitalized
And always puce:
forge

(This message has been edited by forge (edited 01-05-2001).)

EV:
1.Pale
2.EVGE
3.Quantumire Trilogy

EVO:
Frozen Heart
F-25

------------------

'bout the star wars plug, I was involved in the port (I begged the poor guy till his ears fell off) And i was wondering who activly maintaines the plug, and if there is anyway to contact the guy who did the port/e-mail/web site ect. Jeez I dropped of the face of the EVO community in '99 and i am sorta out of touch.

------------------
The NSA is watching...
de mortuis nil nisi bonum
jhtrih is known only as jhtrih...

mine are

mugabi and destiny
FH
F-25
Magma
Femme Fatale

the star wars plugs didn't have good story lines...

------------------

The gameplay in Pale never did excite me, but the writing was excellent. EV Game Expander was fun, but both galaxy and plot were spread a bit too far and thin. My favorite plug experience, all things considered, was probably Babylon 5.

------------------
PlanetPhil
lousy weather, friendly natives

EV:
Pale
Clavis and Beyond

EVO:
Frozen Heart
Femme Fatale
Magma
BTC
Top Mods

PEACE YO!

------------------
Damon: An Immortal! Hahaha...there are things worse than DEATH!
Kwanza: bang...bang
"Quoted the Kwanza Man...Nevermore"
If you're one in a million, then there are 1000 people just like you in China.

Current Status of Plug Votes:

EV:
Eye of Orion - 1
Mugabi and Destiny - 2
Teckktra 3-Zeemajii Rule - 1
Empire 3-Endgame - 1
Star Wars ANA - 1
Pale - 2
EVGE - 2
Quantimire Trilogy - 1
Clavis and Beyond - 1
Alpha Consol - 1

EVO:
Frozen Heart - 5
Femme Fatale - 3
Magma - 4
Star Wars (I forget the exact name) - 1
F-25 - 2
Beyond the Crescent - 2

------------------
To Escape Velocity: Nova and Beyond!
--------------
Millennium. Its coming, prepare for it.
Coming to the (url="http://"http://www.ambrosiaSW.com/games/ev/chronicles.html")EV Chronicles(/url).

(This message has been edited by Captain Carnotaur (edited 01-09-2001).)

Back during the Olden Times of EV (That would be before 1998), there were basically a series of plugins that each managed to redefine the genre and then got generally forgotten when people figured out how to cram better graphics in. They were, In order:

(ulr=http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arcade/4503/)Foundation(/url), EVGE, Final Battle, Pale.

Also, please don't write off Eye of Orion - it wasn't that good, in and of itself, but it was epic in scope and was the first real experiment in immersive mission writing.

The Frozen Heart was originaly written as an EV plugin, and is available in that format sans-quicktime movs. Regardless, it and Femme Fatale were pure awesomeness in a can.

There's a whole mountain of plugins that should really have been released, goddamit, but weren't. I can't name them all, but I'll point out Vorinth and Edge of Infinity for special note.

Then there's the ones that didn't get released (Got "Vorinthed"), and thank god they did - the public didnt' need to be subjected to something that awful. Prime among these would be Final Battle II: Xenocide (later on, just "Xenocide")

In the end, though, I have the salute Benjamin Singely's masterpiece, "Pale", as what has to be the best plugin of all time. It was genius.

-reg

------------------
"Oh crap. I'm going to hell - I put the Bible next to Mein Kampf again."
-Her Holiness, Pope Jenne "Kirby" Hubbs

A good plug-in that was never released was The New Republic. It had the graphics, the plot, the outfits, the weapons, the ships, the innovations, and essentially no typos (small bow). Now if we could only figure out what's happened to it...

------------------
The never duplicated
Never capitalized
And always puce:
forge

NR, and it's second cousin once removed, EVES, are still in development, aren't they?

-reg

------------------
"Oh crap. I'm going to hell - I put the Bible next to Mein Kampf again."
-Her Holiness, Pope Jenne "Kirby" Hubbs

(This message has been edited by Regulus (edited 01-10-2001).)

My top 5:

1. Frozen Heart. GREAT plot, good graphics, and simply awesome tweaking of the EV/EVO engine. Martin Turner was and is a genius, and is in my mind the greatest plug programmer ever. FH's sequel, Femme Fatale, lived up to the original. All we need is another couple sequels and the entire Saga re-adapted for EV Nova, and I will be brimming with joy beyond words.

2. F-25. The best plug for EVO ever made, IMHO. A truly great expander plug, with plenty of new races, ships, missions, and depth of plot. No EVO plug has made the player think critically and solve puzzels to advance as F-25 has, it is a unique work. How Bomb did it, I don't know.

3. EVGE. My favorite EV expander, hence my favorite EV plug. When I first played it I loved the sheer size of the expanded EV galaxy, and there were so many new ships I traveled everywhere just so I could see them all. Once you get through the new missions it can drag on a little, but I still get kicks out of it. Not necessarily an outstanding programming work, but it certainly raised EV's fun factor for me.

4. Pale. Haven't gotten to play it much, but its definitely one of the top EV plugs ever done. To everyone who thinks Final Battle is superior: shame on you. 😛

5. Reign of the Voinians. I know I know, why would I list this at the top? For one thing there's no reign of the UE plug out there, and while I abhor EVO's natural "bad guys" I have to acknowledge ROTV for what it is, an above-average plug that was one of the first to expand upon the UE/Voinian conflict. The fact that Bomb--my favorite plug designer right behind Martin Turner--made it also probably has something to do with it.

There are other awesome plugs, but these are the truly great ones.

UEC

------------------

EV:
EVGE was cool, as were Pale & Eye of Orion, but I think that FinalBattle was my favorite. Of course, I've yet to play Mugabi or the Empire Trilogy, and they look good.

EVO:
frankly, I was never all that interested in EVO -- the original Ambrosia storylines weren't that great or believable IMO (at least compared to EV), so I've only played Frozen Heart, F-25, and EV for EVO -- all of which were very well done.

------------------