Demo any good?

Well, I can't yet get the full POG(it's too big), so I'm wondering if I should get the demo, or wait until I can get the full one. I don't wont to download it if it's better to wait. What's your advice?

------------------
Don't Know, Don't Care, Don't Bother me about it–
The

The demo has all the features of the full game except scope and plug-in compatibility. In other words with the demo you can only go so far(the entire world is not loaded. You can only travel across something like 15 screens or so(just a guess) before the demo tells you that you can explore no further. There are still quests you can complete, you can save your game, and when you get the full version your saved games can be transferred to the full version so you can continue playing where you left off.

So yeah go ahead and get the demo if you are waiting to play the full version. It isn't bad. But if you are going to be waiting a long time before you will be able to get the full version then you will probably get very frustrated, the 'ole "I want to explore more!" syndrome.

------------------
"In the mornings, when I'm usually wide awake, I love to take a walk through the gardens and down by the lake, where I often see a duck and a drake, and I wonder as I walk by, just what they'd say if they could speak although I know that's an absurd thought."
-- Conjunction Junction by Schoolhouse Rock

Originally posted by Stark Bledfast:
**The demo has all the features of the full game except scope and plug-in compatibility.

Cool. I'll download. But what's "scope?"

Also, I barely have a new enough computer, so is there anything I should do to help the game run well?(I know not to have other applications running 🙂 )

------------------
The

But what's "scope?"

Scope: Can either be a name-brand mouthwash or it can refer to the range of things that can actually be accomplished and/or pursued(ie, limited number of quests, limited exploration, limited story involvement, etc).

I'll let you decide which definition you want to apply to my comments... 🙂

Also, I barely have a new enough computer, so is there anything I should do to help the game run well?

Out of curiousity what type of computer are you running?

Some tips for any system, besides not running other applications, are things like run POG in full screen mode(running in windows is intensive) and allocate as much RAM as you can to the POG application.

I personally am running POG on a PowerPC 9600/233(which has a non-G3 or G4 chip. It has a 604e chip, last of the powerpcs). I have recently upgraded my memory from 176MB to 432MB of RAM(although this is actually do to the fact that I wanted to be able to run POG and Coldstone at the same time I had graphics tools loaded as well as Netscape and an IRC program to talk to other developers all at the same time. heh). I allocate 100MB of RAM to POG and it seems to chug right along happily. I used to get slow downs and super-lag when saving my game, but this has been fixed with the 1.0.1 update.

Good luck.

------------------
"In the mornings, when I'm usually wide awake, I love to take a walk through the gardens and down by the lake, where I often see a duck and a drake, and I wonder as I walk by, just what they'd say if they could speak although I know that's an absurd thought."

The demo is awesome, I've got the best equipment in it 😄 (if you don't count the weapon I'm using, just a DrivaTan long sword)!

------------------
luck is beating the odds, bad luck is when they are the odds of having something bad happen to you.

**Out of curiousity what type of computer are you running? etc.

Good luck.

I am using a Performa 6116CD–PowerPC 601, 60Mhz, 72 Mbs RAM, OS 8.1 🙂

Thank you for the luck, something tells me I'll need it

------------------
The

I am using a Performa 6116CD–PowerPC 601, 60Mhz, 72 Mbs RAM, OS 8.1

Oh wow. After you play it for a while post back with your impressions of running POG on your machine. I know David Arthur posted that he has a 7200/120 and that he wouldn't recommend much slower of a machine, but I'm not sure if anyone has tried or not. I for one would be interested in hearing how your machine performs with POG.

------------------

**Oh wow. I for one would be interested in hearing how your machine performs with POG.

Me too! I will download, um, maybe overnight. Maybe now dunno. Probably dunno. 😉

But will I need luck?

------------------
The

But will I need luck?

To download the demo? Not anymore, now that Ambrosia has their spiffy new server handling the downloads. Heck it's so fast the download will probably be done before you start! Well, maybe not...

Anyhow I doubt you will have too many troubles on your machine. Especially if you never witness POG played on a faster machine. I personally refuse to look at POG being played on a G4 machine because I don't want to know how fast it runs(and theefore how slow mine runs). I'm content with what I have and don't want to become dissatisfied. 🙂

But just for grins, good luck.

------------------

I feel bad, as I STILL havn't gotten around to POG.
My computer is currently in a cupboard in our basement, so I don't see me getting it soon. Keep your fingers crossed about me getting it back! At the moment, I'm using the library's computer.

------------------
TJON:The Journalist's Office Novelties.
Makers of wierd products since, uh, 2002

You could download it onto the Library's computer.
Gotta go do some research....right!

------------------
Our eyes fixed on a dream. A dream of world domination. Quantity is so much more than one soul, now overlooked, have we been so blind to see a hrting face and simply pass it by, We have lost our focus from the cross from our goals - Point of Recognition - Renew Refresh - No matter what!

Originally posted by Bobster:
**You could download it onto the Library's computer.

Doubt, the security is so high, I can't even get Shockwave

------------------
Dye my hair black and call me a blonde!