Mesera's behavior

The 1st time I played PoG, Mesera did not fight with me, and neither would his band of theives. He did give me the skill of perception. I learned a lot of things the hard way in my first game so I'm playing again and learning even more. I'm not using plugins yet. In my second game Mesera says I deserve death with pain for killing his brother over a silly book, and he sets his band of theives on me (I've made 3 trips back) each time. I did, however, get an unreadable scroll out of a treasure chest which was not there in my first game.
Can anyone tell me what the difference is and how do I resolve it?

------------------
fudge in CT

since you killed his brother he wans to kill you. take the scroll to that lady who gives you the Pathfinding skill and she will reed it and teach you the awarness skill.

------------------

Thank you, but I'd already figured that out by the time I saw your reply. What I still don't understand is that I had killed him in the 1st game also. So what's the difference? What am I missing?

------------------
fudge in CT

The first quest for the learning tree is to recover a book for Emelius the Druid that
was stolen by a band of thieves. The thief in the red cloak who has the book attempts
to strike a deal with you: pay 50 coins for the book, or a fight to the death.

If you chose to pay for the book then Mesera will be happy and teach you awareness.
If you chose to fight the bandit then Mesera will be ticked and order his men to kill you.

If you chose to fight and then Mesera was all nice to you in your first game then there
was something wrong. Because the above is how it is supposed to work.

------------------
Lolly lolly lolly get your adverbs here.

I might have been naive {dumb?} enough the 1st time around to buy the book, I just don't remember. Thanks for clearing that up.

------------------
fudge in CT

Originally posted by Frank Johnson:
**I might have been naive {dumb?} enough the 1st time around to buy the book, I just don't remember. Thanks for clearing that up.

Neither dumb nor naive in my opinion. 50 gold pieces is peanuts. I quite like the idea of keeping Mesera and the Lightguild on your side too. Leaves room to write new quests where your character works/cooperates with them.

------------------