New to plug-in creation; having trouble with spöb/spöb type.

As a small experiment to familiarize myself with ResEdit, I tried adding another planet in the Centauri system...new spöb type, as the title implies. By the end of the evening, it showed up fine, I could land, do everything on the planet I had intended to do, but there was a problem; whenever I tried to start up the game with the pilot at this planet, or Landfall, it would suddenly quit.

Any idea where I should start looking to fix it? I'd be willing to post any other information necessary.

Gah, forgot to mention one other small thing that might be pertinent; the new planet (Theta, for shorthand's sake) shows up on the radar as a satellite, not a planet.

Thanks!

------------------
There is a fine line between having an attitude problem and thinking clearly.

(This message has been edited by Aria (edited 08-23-2000).)

Quick and easy solution - download Pontus Ilbring's EVO Developer's Map from the file archives here. It's far easier than mucking with ResEdit, and it produces good results.

------------------
"He's probably the least qualified person ever to be nominated by a major party... What is his accomplishment? That he's no longer an obnoxious drunk?"
- Ron Reagan, son of the former president, on George W. Bush; a (url="http://"http://www.votenader.com")Ralph Nader(/url) supporter.

AIM: ColdFusion117

Does the EVO developers map apply equally well to EV? Ultimately (when I stop fiddling around with software and know what I'm doing), that's the game my plug-in will be for.

------------------

Originally posted by Aria:
**Does the EVO developers map apply equally well to EV? Ultimately (when I stop fiddling around with software and know what I'm doing), that's the game my plug-in will be for.

Then get the EV Developers Map also by Pontus

------------------
I don't have a sig cause I don't wanna take the time to type one. 😉

Well, downloaded, and it certainly looks like a useful tool that I have every intention of using when the time comes, but it looks like it will only take care of s˙st resources for me, not spöb/spöb types. Which, if you'll refer to my origional message, is actually my question.

------------------

To edit spobs, click on a system and then go up to the "system" menu and go to "edit spobs", or click on a system and hit cmd+e (i think theres some short-cut to do it, like option clicking, but i forgot it)

------------------

Well, I'm not feeling too bright right now, but I hope you guys will hang in there and help me get a hold on this.

I don't see a 'system' menu, and neither of the keyboard commands suggested had any effect. The only menus I see are File, Edit, MapTools, and Help. None of them have anything relating to what you said.

------------------

**Well, I'm not feeling too bright right now, but I hope you guys will hang in there and help me get a hold on this.

I don't see a 'system' menu, and neither of the keyboard commands suggested had any effect. The only menus I see are File, Edit, MapTools, and Help. None of them have anything relating to what you said.

His instructions only apply to EVO Developer's Map, which BTW is fully capable of editing EV plug-ins. And it is lightyears ahead of the EV only version. Get it. Period. 🙂

------------------
Pontus Ilbring

(url="http://"http://members01.chello.se/warlordpontus/ev")Pontus' EV & EVO Page(/url)

I love you all. Especially you, Pontus.

Thanks!

------------------

**As a small experiment to familiarize myself with ResEdit, I tried adding another planet in the Centauri system...new spöb type, as the title implies. By the end of the evening, it showed up fine, I could land, do everything on the planet I had intended to do, but there was a problem; whenever I tried to start up the game with the pilot at this planet, or Landfall, it would suddenly quit.

Any idea where I should start looking to fix it? I'd be willing to post any other information necessary.

Gah, forgot to mention one other small thing that might be pertinent; the new planet (Theta, for shorthand's sake) shows up on the radar as a satellite, not a planet.

Thanks!

First question is did you create a new 'spöb type' or only a new 'spöb'? They are two very different things. A 'spöb' is a resource that contains information about a particular planet, moon, or whatever. A 'spöb type' is a set of resources (PICTs and a spďn) that are used to show a spöb on your monitor. If you actually created a new spöb type, I suggest you examine the spďn resource very carefully, incorrect spďns are a well known cause of crashes. If you added a spob to the system using an existing spöb type, check the s˙st and spöb resources carefully to be sure the system and spob are linked correctly and also check that all the fields in the spöb resource are filled correctly. Many problems can be avoided by using EVO Developers Map, which works equally well for EV or EVO plugs and is one of the best tools available for plug making.

Good luck.

I've limited my dabbling in the spöb realms almost exclusively to also having unique spöb types. I'll review my work, as the problem has since come up again (this time I think it has less to do with the system setup, and more to do with the fact that I'm simultaneously experimenting with creating my own government...all kinds of merry little glitches). the Developer's Map is wonderful, allows a great deal of freedom without the frustration of cutting into things directly with ResEdit. If only there were as simple a tool for every aspect of plug-in creation, eh?

My hat is off to everyone who's made a moderately complex plug. It's more involved than I thought it was.

------------------