Res-Edit or EV-Edit?

People say Res-Edit is way better than EV-Edit? What is Res-Edit anyway? I have it but I don't really know what to use it for. I use it for graphics and stuff but what else are you supposed to use it for? In EV-Edit you can do almost everything to make a plug-in (it doesn't work great but what else am I going to use). How are you supposed to do that with Res-Edit? Or can you?

------------------

Originally posted by joekap:
**What is Res-Edit anyway?

If you hop over to the EV Utilities page, you'll find an excellent document called the Beginner's Guide to ResEdit (the name appears in the link as 'ResEdit Beginners Guide'). It should answer most of your questions about using ResEdit to create plug-ins.

------------------
PlanetPhil
now welcoming tourists

Originally posted by joekap:
**People say Res-Edit is way better than EV-Edit? What is Res-Edit anyway? I have it but I don't really know what to use it for. I use it for graphics and stuff but what else are you supposed to use it for? In EV-Edit you can do almost everything to make a plug-in (it doesn't work great but what else am I going to use). How are you supposed to do that with Res-Edit? Or can you?

ResEdit is a resource editor originally developed by programmers designing the MacOS. As the name implies, it is used to edit resources, including all EV/O resources and most other types used in Mac applications and the System. ResEdit is generally safer to use than EV-Edit because it is more stable and less likely to damage your plug-in. ResEdit is a little more difficult to learn than EV-Edit, but it is worth it because you can do more with it.

------------------
Joe Burnette

"I find that humans can be divided into only two meaningful categories: Decent Humans and Sonsofbitches; both types appear to be evenly distributed
among all shapes, colors, sizes, and nationalities." -- Keith Laumer

Beside the Beginner's Guide you should also get the EV/O Bible Annotated Edition.

------------------
(url="http://"mailto:JAce21@chollian.net")mailto:JAce21@chollian.net(/url)JAce21@chollian.net

You should use Res-Edit. It's harder to learn but Ev-Edit is buggy, and everytime I have used Ev-Edit it screwed up my plug.

I find EV - Edit fine for small expander plugs (adding a ship or two, a few outfits and maybe two systems, along with about 10 missions) but any bigger and it thinks ' Hey. This person has put some serious time and effort into this plug! I think I'll do a big smelly electronic crap on it and then giggle silently while they tear their hair out.'

For big ones, use a combination of Resedit, SchmeltaV and EVO Developers map

------------------
Mazca

Moderator, EV Developer's Corner.
Roses are red
Violets are blue.
I'm schizophrenic
And so am I.

](http://www.jpw.op.nu "External link")

LOL!

------------------
Dan! The food's gone!

Heh

Why is it that everyone seems to think Res-Edit is hard to use? It is easier that anything ia have used on PC, and took about 2 minutes to pick up. I have started doing most thinks through Res-Edit, except maps and missions as Mazca said.

Also you will need the EVO templates

------------------
In one ear and out the middle
- me

I'd like to play for an Italian club, like Barcelona
- Aston Villa's Mark Draper

AIM - EST champion
Email-
champion@metallica.

All things have a purpose. All things that have no purpose cease to exist.

Originally posted by champion:
**Heh

Why is it that everyone seems to think Res-Edit is hard to use? It is easier that anything ia have used on PC, and took about 2 minutes to pick up. I have started doing most thinks through Res-Edit, except maps and missions as Mazca said.

Also you will need the EVO templates

Your right, Res-Edit was picked up real easily for me. I tried EV-Edit first, did not know much about Res-Edit. Making my plug with EV-Edit came out buggy but Res-Edit (with a little frustration) came out perfectly clean. I will still have alot more questions about Res-Edit though.

About EVO Templates:

On the "EVO Addons" page, there are a few items under guides and utilities called EVO 1.02 Annotated Templates, and there's even one that claims to be Res-Edit compatible. Don't touch those. They don't work w/ResEdit. Instead, look in the "Plugin Developers" folder in your main EVO folder. Open up both the sample Plug (also found in the EVO 1.02 folder) and the templates in ResEdit copy the TMPL file from the Templates and paste it into the Sample Plug. BTW, you might want to make a few copies of that sample plug and the templates in case you lose the first copies or screw up 🙂

As for guides, all you really need is the EVO bible102 (from the EVO Addons page), The EV Bible Annotated Edition (no idea where you can get that, I'll email it to you if you want), and ifmyou want, though you shouldn't need it, the ResEdit Beginners Guide (again, its not on the ASw site, I'll email it to you if you need it)
Congrats, you're now ready to make plug-ins. Post to me or e-mail to me if you need help.

------------------
To each his own,
U-99

YAY! The first thankyou i have ever received. Keep em coming. 😃

------------------
In one ear and out the middle
- me

I'd like to play for an Italian club, like Barcelona
- Aston Villa's Mark Draper

AIM - EST champion
Email-
champion@metallica.

All things have a purpose. All things that have no purpose cease to exist.

As far as I can see, the only thing that EV-Edit's any good for is spöb editing and simple stuff like düde and öops and stuff. Everything else only yields bugs, mismatched data, crashes and other crud.

Resedit may look complicated, but as long as you have the EVO bible everything works fine. Any mistakes in my plugins are guaranteed to be MY fault.

-------
Seph

------------------
"Only two things are infinite -- the universe and
human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

With the EVO ResEdit templates (located in the "Plugin Developers" folder in your main EVO folder. Creating plug-ins is a breeze, abeit a repettitive one. Not sure about adding new ships, outfs, etc, as I haven't done that yet. Go w/Resedit. You DO want your plugs to be usable, right? 🙂

------------------
To each his own,
Kretschmer

(formerly U-99)

Originally posted by Kretschmer:
**You DO want your plugs to be usable, right?:)

Ofcourse. That's why I use Res-Edit. 🙂

------------------

Originally posted by champion:
It is easier that anything ia have used on PC...

Well that's not saying much.

------------------
--
A dozen, a gross, and a score,
Plus three times the square root of four,
Divided by seven,
Plus five times eleven,
Equals nine squared plus zero, no more.

Use both. Period.
-david-

------------------
Graphics. Games. And more...
(url="http://"http://www.meowx.com")Meowx Design Studios(/url)

Originally posted by Meowx Design:
Use both. Period.
-david-

No, if you have a good-sized plug EV-Edit will well, do what Mazca said. Just use Schmelta-V, EV/O developer's maps, and Resorcerer.

------------------
AIM: evandrewm / xaeomega