Size (not #) of universe

What are the max X and Y values that can be used when describing s˙sts in a plug? I mean, how big can a universe actually be, within the limits of the 1000 pixel jump distance and 1000 s˙sts?

------------------

Well, theoretically, you could have it 1,000,000 pixels long or wide or, you could have it 1,000 pixels squared. You could also theoretically have it 250,000 pixels in each direction, or any other design your heart desires, but as to any max values that the game allows? None that I know...

------------------
-Shade

<-------- The information went data way -------->

(url="http://"http://www.theonion.com")The Onion, America's finest news source(/url)

That's why Nove will be so damn big (500+ systems)

------------------
World War 1 was fought with Machine Guns and Cannons.
World War 2 was fought with bombs and missiles.
I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but it will be so terrible that
World War 4 will be fought with stone clubs.

Steven Hawkings,
-A Brief History of Time

WHO NEEDS 500 SMEGGING SYSTEMS??!!

Me! I love to go exploring.
Jude

------------------

Yeah... with 500 systems it would take ages and ages to find everything, and when you had you would have forgotten what is on the other side of the galaxy :). Perfect - a plug you never finish!

------------------
Mazca

Moderator, EV Developer's Corner.
Roses are red
Violets are blue.
I'm schizophrenic
And so am I.

](http://www.jpw.op.nu "External link")

Originally posted by Jude:
**Me! I love to go exploring.
Jude

As do I. I was extremely happy when I first got EVO and found that it had a galaxy 5 times as large as EV's. The more systems, the better. Besides, if you don't like it, you can just confine yourself to a section of the galaxy: when I first started playing EVO, I didn't venture north of UE space at all. You can then explore after you're finished with the "local" missions and stuff.

------------------
Brooklyn. Where the weak are killed and eaten.

AIM: obormot345

Originally posted by Mazca:
**Yeah... with 500 systems it would take ages and ages to find everything, and when you had you would have forgotten what is on the other side of the galaxy:). Perfect - a plug you never finish!

Absolutely correct! Built-in replay value.

I am woking on a plug that has at last count 543 systems. For me, part of the fun of the game is exploring the galaxy to see what the plug designers have thought up to entertain and amuse us. I grant you that 500+ systems is pushing it a bit, and thinking up interesting descriptions for all the planets in a galaxy that size is a big job, but it provides lot of play value just exploring, and lots of space for a varity of missions and stories, and enough space for a variety of governments to each have their own little piece of the galaxy.

Anyone having trouble remembering where things can simply take notes.

------------------
Joe Burnette

"I find that humans can be divided into only two meaningful categories: Decent Humans and Sonsofbitches; both types appear to be evenly distributed
among all shapes, colors, sizes, and nationalities." -- Keith Laumer

(This message has been edited by Joe Burnette (edited 06-10-2000).)

well Galactic Federation (my plug-in) was going to have a lot but I've ended up keeping it small for special reasons. Not just laziness. It will probably end up being the same size as EV, but as far as i acn tell at the moment about 50% of the galaxy will change over the course of one campaign. If it was possible to do all the campaigns, 100% would change. Alas, that is not the case.

As for 500 systems, that's a lot yeah, but the maximum IS 1000. I wonder when someone will reach that...

------------------
Nothing comes free.

AOL/AIM: EVMaridian

E-mail: maridian@angelfire.com

Originally posted by Maridian:
As for 500 systems, that's a lot yeah, but the maximum IS 1000. I wonder when someone will reach that...
(/B)

Would be cool if we could do a joint project... every participants would create his own government with, say, 50 systems, 3-4 ships, 4-5 outfits and a handful of local missions... then we'd have to piece them together and write galaxy-spanning missions...

The tricky part would be, of course, to keep the ships and weapons balanced throughout the galaxy... but such a huge galaxy would be darn friggin cool. 🆒

-- Cinga

------------------

If I had to guess, I'd say the widest the galaxy could get would be 65535 pixels wide. Since the templates use a DWRD (decimal word) for the two fields, the limits would be +/- 32767. Therefore, the galaxy could only be 65535 pixels to a side. Granted, this is still huge, but it is much less than the 1,000,000 pixels Shade talked about.
BTW, I've never heard about a 1000 pixel jump distance limit. Where is this mentioned? Did I just overlook something in the EV/EVO bible? Or did I misinterpret something?

------------------
Knucklehead, Aeon Productions

=======================

(Insert witty remark here)

Originally posted by Knucklehead:
**If I had to guess, I'd say the widest the galaxy could get would be 65535 pixels wide. Since the templates use a DWRD (decimal word) for the two fields, the limits would be +/- 32767. Therefore, the galaxy could only be 65535 pixels to a side. Granted, this is still huge, but it is much less than the 1,000,000 pixels Shade talked about.
BTW, I've never heard about a 1000 pixel jump distance limit. Where is this mentioned? Did I just overlook something in the EV/EVO bible? Or did I misinterpret something?

Welll, I was just saying that was the maximum maximum as in the most possible given that amount but that it might actually be smaller because of other constraints.

The 1000 pixel limit is under game constants in the EV/O Bible.

------------------
-Shade

<-------- The information went data way -------->

(url="http://"http://www.theonion.com")The Onion, America's finest news source(/url)

Originally posted by Cinga:
**Would be cool if we could do a joint project... every participants would create his own government with, say, 50 systems, 3-4 ships, 4-5 outfits and a handful of local missions... then we'd have to piece them together and write galaxy-spanning missions...

The tricky part would be, of course, to keep the ships and weapons balanced throughout the galaxy... but such a huge galaxy would be darn friggin cool. 🆒

-- Cinga

The tricky part would be getting people who agreed to participate in such a project to actually do what they said they would do in a reasonable length of time. The other tricky part would be keeping resource ID numbers from becoming hopelessly tangled up. I am inolved in two projects of this type, so I speak with some experience.

Ships and weapons would not necessarily have to be balanced throughout the galaxy; different govts could, and probably should, have advantages in one or more areas: one govt could have very fast and maneuverable ships, but mediocre weapons, another could have poor ships and weapons, but always attack in massive numbers, etc.

Good concept, but the execution may be difficult. Best wishes if you try it.

------------------
Joe Burnette

"I find that humans can be divided into only two meaningful categories: Decent Humans and Sonsofbitches; both types appear to be evenly distributed
among all shapes, colors, sizes, and nationalities." -- Keith Laumer

(This message has been edited by Joe Burnette (edited 06-11-2000).)

Originally posted by Knucklehead:
BTW, I've never heard about a 1000 pixel jump distance limit.

This distance is the minimum distance between you and the system center (if there are any spobs in the system) from which you can hyperjump. There is an outfit type that allows you to decrease the distance, all the way to 0.

------------------
Brooklyn. Where the weak are killed and eaten.

AIM: obormot345