Question

Ok. I have, for the first time, connected my Mac to the internet. I se everything up, configured, connected via the PPP control panel...

But when I tried to go to a site, it said "has no DNS entry, etc.".

Now... When I entered the addresses of the domain name servers in the TCP/IP control panel (having gotten them off my PC - I'm using the same ISP/account), it worked.

However... when I restarted... it no longer worked, had the same problem, even with the DNS server address entered.

By the way, the same situation occurs with AIM, telnet, etc.

Does anyone know what the problem is? In the name of freeing me from the evil clutches of my PC... šŸ™‚

------------------
Brooklyn. Where the weak are killed and eaten.

AIM: obormot345

Do you run into the same situation when you first connect via the PPP control panel, and then start your browser? When I run into the 'no DNS entry' message when I know good and well that the address I'm trying to reach is valid, it's usually because Remote Access hasn't actually made a connection to my IP by the time my browser (Communicator, in this case) is up and running. My highly non-technical way of dealing with it is to satisfy myself that Remote Access has completed its connection, then quit out of Communicator altogether, then restart the browser.

------------------
PlanetPhil
"Your death will be the proof that Horus does not lie."
Ā— Creatures of Light and Darkness , Roger Zelazny

Originally posted by PlanetPhil:
**Do you run into the same situation when you first connect via the PPP control panel, and then start your browser? When I run into the 'no DNS entry' message when I know good and well that the address I'm trying to reach is valid, it's usually because Remote Access hasn't actually made a connection to my IP by the time my browser (Communicator, in this case) is up and running. My highly non-technical way of dealing with it is to satisfy myself that Remote Access has completed its connection, then quit out of Communicator altogether, then restart the browser.

Actually, that's what I do. I've tried both ways: connecting through the PPP control panel, and starting Netscape first. Both fail in the same way.

------------------
Brooklyn. Where the weak are killed and eaten.

AIM: obormot345