An Ares Plug in

What does everyone think of an Ares plug in for EVO? It would be incrediably simply to make, just take the graphics directly from Ares and put them in EVO. Then just make everything Linear and simple. You could be a Human pilot(after recapturing Earth) who starts in a Human Cruiser and keeps getting better vessels, and jump links get activated only for missios. In other words there would be only 1 storyline and you couldn't fly around doing cargo missions. But you could make great battle and it would be rather fun. I'd make it but I don't got the time and I'd probally screw it up like I've messed up all other plug ins I've attempted :). So what do you think?

Dragon
P.S. andrew would you mind this?

------------------

Anyone?

------------------

It's been attempted , I think you will run into copywrite issues.

------------------
ERA for EV:
www.geocities.com/rhysmctharin/erahome.html

Also, there is the slight problem that the sprites in Ares aren't stored in Pict's. Sure, you could just wait for Hera to come out to start working on the graphics, but again, there is the copyright issue. (like that's stopped anyone before...)

------------------
Knucklehead, Aeon Productions

=======================

(Insert witty remark here)

I think a lot of developpers and would-be's (including me...) looked inside the Ares program and files with ResEdit, only to find, disappointedly, that the sprites aren't there...

In any case, I think the wise people at Ambrosia don't want their creations mixed together. Otherwise they'd have done it. Or made the sprites easy to take from Ares and put into EV/O.

gorizo

------------------

Ambrosia didn't make ares, a guy named Nathon Lamont did. He published it under a company called Bigger Planet, but that dissapeared. then he posted it under Changeling, but that also dissapeared. Finally he asked Ambrosia to publish it and they did, and it stuck. And no, Hera won't let you export sprites.

If you look in the ares links, a group called slug-something is making something like that. But they are making EV for Ares.

------------------
World War 1 was fought with Machine Guns and Cannons.
World War 2 was fought with bombs and missiles.
I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but it will be so terrible that
World War 4 will be fought with stone clubs.

Steven Hawkings,
-A Brief History of Time

Heh, come on! Where is that developer inginuity? Where is that developer unrecognition of laws in general? Screw copyright laws, just become annonymous. Anyway, its pretty simple to make an Ares plug for EV/O. Pull out that old copy of Snapz that you never registered and take a pic of each frame of every ship seperately. Its not THAT tedious. I've done it for 4 of the ships (in a plug for personal use only. I won't be releasing it because I don't have the guts to go up against the law. I much prefer to make other people do it for me 😉 )
and it took under 20 minutes. Masks...well, there is a variety of ways. I just use the lasso tool to select the ship pic and delete it since it is on a black background, it will make a selection around everything that isn't black (works in some graphic apps. I think someone mentioned you could do this in Claris Works. I haven't tried, so I don't know).

One problem, EV/O uses 36 sprite frames. Ares uses 25. This isn't too much of a problem. Just duplicate several frames (its hardly noticable in game, as long as you keep two to three moving frames between the duped ones) and your set. Let Pics2Sprites loose on it, paste it in ResEdit, and boom. There it is.

------------------
--
"Do or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Promise me that you will NEVER EVER deface the ares community by making an Ares/EVO plugin. NEVER EVER EVER. I'm serious.

Ares has a superior graphics engine than EV/EVO, it would be like porting Unreal Tournament to the Marathon engines. It just won't work.

Originally posted by nothing:
**Promise me that you will NEVER EVER deface the ares community by making an Ares/EVO plugin. NEVER EVER EVER. I'm serious.

Ares has a superior graphics engine than EV/EVO, it would be like porting Unreal Tournament to the Marathon engines. It just won't work.**

Lol, Ok I promise not too, though I hope to convince others! And no it wouldn't be like that at all. Have you checked out the graphics for Magma, Nova or Cold Blood? Enough to make the crappy(check out 2:1 view) graphics in Ares look like they were made by a 12 year old.

Dragon

------------------

(This message has been edited by Dragon (edited 06-09-2000).)

(This message has been edited by Dragon (edited 06-09-2000).)

Originally posted by Dragon:
**Lol, Ok I promise not too, though I hope to convince others! And no it wouldn't be like that at all. Have you checked out the graphics for Magma, Nova or Cold Blood? Enough to make the crappy(check out 2:1 view) graphics in Ares look like they were done but a 12 year old.

Dragon

------------------

Taking the graphics from Ares would be very difficult. This project has been discussed in the past and deemed impossible. The Ares engine allows for different things than the EVO engine. And, on your thought that porting the spins would be easy, it isn't. Ares uses a different number of frames than EVO.

Face it, it's near impossible.

------------------

Originally posted by Weepul 884:
**Ares uses a different number of frames than EVO.

That actually doesn't matter; as long as all of the sprites have the same number of frames, it lines up. =P

------------------
-Shade

<-------- The information went data way -------->

(url="http://"http://www.theonion.com")The Onion, America's finest news source(/url)

Unless 1.0.1 or 1.0.2 is any different from what I've already seen, you're wrongo, Shade. If you make a spin with less frames, EV/O substitutes blank frames where they're missing. If you make a spin with more, it drops the excess.

------------------