Suppressing resources

Does anyone know of any possible way to suppress a resource in EVO (such that it doesn't show up when you play witha plugin) without replacing it? The specific reason I'm asking is that I want to make a plugin, in which the player starts out with no ship. I think I've heard that this was done before; if you know of this, or have done this, please reply.

Next question: is there any way to change the amount of money that a plyer starts out with, short of providing a pilot file? Thanks in advance.

------------------
Analysis, Mr. Spock?

AIM: obormot345

1)Simple, take the Shuttle and change it's ID to 175 or whatever you have available. Then go in and change the fleets and dudes that have the 128 ID. Then, go in and make a "blank" 128 ID and blank spin. Now the player can start up "on" the planet.

1. No

------------------
tear it down

Does this actually work?

(whole vistas of possibilities open up).

And how about the changing the startup money?

------------------

M A R T I N • T U R N E R

Now that I think of it, that would seem to create the said effect. Yes, Martin this does indeed open up possibilities. For example: player picks his first ship. Every time player ejects and gets picked up, he picks new ship. The only problem is that you can't buy too much for 10,000 credits; hence my second question.

I think this is a good place to put another comment that I have: the possibility of the player picking the side (gov't, organization) to start the plugin with. The only good way I can think of is to distribute pilot files, which are prepared with certain ships, affiliation with certain gov't(s), "seed" mission bits set, and in a certain system. What do you all think of this?

------------------
Analysis, Mr. Spock?

About the starting and choosing own ship, I have tried this and though about it for a while, but I realized that when you start a new game EV/EVO, you are not directly on any planet. Kinda floating off from whatever is in the center of the system. With no specific graphic, It would be hard for someone to understand what to do. I also cnsidered making a little body like in Ares, a floating body where you can go from place to place (noit capable of hyperjumping) but that seemed a bit strange because people don't float in space. Hmm, it might be possible though...

------------------
~ThE kWaNzA mAn~
"Thou shalt not mess with the fury of KwAnZa!"

Including some kind of docs with the plug might help. I realize many people don't like to read documentation, but if they don't, and get stuck - that's their fault.

------------------
Analysis, Mr. Spock?

Obormot wrote:
**I think this is a good place to put another comment that I have: the possibility of the player picking the side (gov't, organization) to start the plugin with. The only good way I can think of is to distribute pilot files, which are prepared with certain ships, affiliation with certain gov't(s), "seed" mission bits set, and in a certain system. What do you all think of this?

It would work, but the player wouldn't be able to pick his/her ship name until he/she bought a new ship. It would be easier to just make a bunch of missions that would each allow the player to choose a different side and offer them all at the beginning of the game. You'd have to tell the player about this in the docs of course but that's not a problem.

------------------
"I was under the influence of medication when I made the decision to burn the tapes."

Richard Nixon

Email -- SmashMaster18@hotmail.com
AIM -- JolJvik

Oh, forgot to say this...

What I mean by blank is DO NOT leave that resource empty. Make everything 0, otherwise weird stuff CAN happen. To have a non-existant ship either makes you go zooming real fast or many other weird things. Just make a ship resource full of 0s and you will be... 'on' the planet.

------------------
tear it down

Unfortunatly you can't alter the money, someone tell Matt Burch to fix this while he is still coding however, you always could have a mission at the bar or something in which you could get MORE money. Like, make the return destination ID 128 and when they player leaves and returns, he has more money.

------------------
tear it down

One way to give the effect of starting with more money is to make everything else in the game cheaper (except fuel of course, which you can't alter). This would be a little strange in an add-on, but might make sense in a complete replacement.

Bubbles

(This message has been edited by Bubbles (edited 04-10-2000).)

Here's a funny thought, that could address both ship and money issues. Make the first ship a "shuttle" ship. One that acts merely as a transport for the pilot to the planet. Give it no fuel, no shields, armor, weapons, etc....And then to give the player more money to begin with give that shuttle a good trade-in value. (this last part might be hard to do, cuz i'm not sure how dependent trade-in values are on the equipment the ship has--hafta check to make sure) Should work though.....

Oops, I was tired when I wrote this last time.

To give the player more money you would have to give the ship a negative cost. I accidently did this and i kept getting free cash. It was pretty cool.

------------------
"I was under the influence of medication when I made the decision to burn the tapes."

Richard Nixon

Webpage -- (url="http://"http://www.geocities.com/joljvik/")http://www.geocities.com/joljvik/(/url)
Email -- SmashMaster18@hotmail.com
AIM -- JolJvik

(This message has been edited by Jol'Jvik (edited 04-11-2000).)

Give it fuel of 1, sheilds 1, armor 1, normal in sys piloting, tech level of something very very high, and a trade in of about 1 mill (via a price of about 2 mill).

And, if you feel so inclined, use this ship as an in-system trader that the AI usses.
~S~

------------------
Small animal kamikaze attack on power supplies

Could I have an order of Discboard with that?